The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 14, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #66,766 of 89,506
E12 mustn’t be too far away 🥳

I'm really curious to see where this one lands price wise. If it runs in the $1 - $1.5k bracket as has been speculate it will be a huge boon imho and pretty much an instant purchase for me.

Hello Coolers....I am finally able to source a Trifecta from my local distributor. Can I please bother you nice people to explain the sub bass difference between Trifecta and Grand Maestro. I promise that it will be my last query until one of them is in my hands 🙏

I don't have enough experience with Grand Maestro to really speak in anything more than generalities. The biggest difference between the tuning of the two IEMs is that the GM has what might be called a more balanced/mature and generalist tuning making it an easier rec for someone knowing nothing of what their tastes are or what they listen to. Grand Maestro has great qualitiy bass but imho it is by no means a bass centric IEM or anything. Trifecta is a totally different beast. While imho it has a broader range than is sometimes given credit for it has a deep, bombastic, cavernous bass-driven sound-- the bass resonse on the Trifecta is the wellspring from which the whole sonic tapestry flows. Unlike with the Bonneville which I have been recklessly hyping this past couple weeks because I feel it is a compariviely safe and broadly appealing incarnation of CFA's house sound the Trifecta, as much as I love it, is clearly not for everyone. I have an easier time recommending it for you because you are looking at something with a strong emphasis on hip hop and quite frankly I don't think you'll find a better IEM on the market than Trifecta for this...IMHO. Trifecta is also a lot easier to drive if that's relevant for you at all.

Guys, are RN6/XE6/Odin/Raven/Odyssey considered as an upgrade over IERZ1R or a sidegrade? On the verge of getting one of them. Need suggestions from you guys, who tried all these. TIA.

I don't think any of Rn6/Xe6/Odin/Raven/Odyssey can compete with the IER Z1R in treble response or female vocals...so there perhaps definitely a side grade. Some might say bass response too but that is more of a coin toss. Where IER Z1R loses points from me is how lean it is in the mid-bass/lower mids. Rn6/Xe6/Odin/Raven/Odyssey might be considered a proper upgrade in that department.

It's fundamental, refined V-shape (Amber Pearl) versus warm dark neutral (LeJardin especially on PWA MAS). Two completely different experiences, both colored, you can't really compare them. Both are magical. AP is more univeral and tuned for wider public tastes whereas LJ is more refined and special, with incredible depth and macrodynamics. I published AP vs LJ measurements in my previous posts. LJ has a better cable with superb synergy whereas AP cable warrants an upgrade but also AP sounds great on other cables whereas LJ loses it's magic.

Sounds like Le Jardin was a repackaged Red Halo in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #66,767 of 89,506
It's fundamental, refined V-shape (Amber Pearl) versus warm dark neutral (LeJardin especially on PWA MAS).

Two completely different experiences, both colored, you can't really compare them as they compliment each other rather than compete.

Both are magical. AP is more univeral and tuned for wider public tastes and is fun whereas LJ is more refined and special, with incredible depth and macrodynamics.

I published AP vs LJ measurements in my previous posts.

LJ has a better cable with superb synergy whereas AP cable warrants an upgrade. But also AP sounds great on other cables whereas LJ loses it's magic.

Edit: the measurement is in my N30LE review here.
Thanks, I've read the reviews, of course. What scares me the most is that you wrote something more universal and tuned for wider public. I like a more balanced sound and I'm not a fan of strong bass, rather a more linear sound, if that's the right word. I have to think about buying it.

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #66,769 of 89,506
Thanks, I've read the reviews, of course. What scares me the most is that you wrote something more universal and tuned for wider public. I like a more balanced sound and I'm not a fan of strong bass, rather a more linear sound, if that's the right word. I have to think about buying it.

I would hedge a bet that when someone around here says "more universal" they generally mean "more balanced". At least that's what I mean. Either way to my ears Amber Pearl had great bass but I would not say strong bass-- my attention was mostly on the mids generally and vocals specifically when listening to it. YMMV.

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #66,770 of 89,506
I thought they were both exactly the same, just different looks and perhaps cables? This comes up every so often and I always forget the exact differences. I have in my mind they are the same. Can anyone elaborate? Tks.

I never heard the Jardin but I demoed the Red Halo on a few occasions and it sounded to me exactly like Le Jardin was described relative to Amber Pearl above.

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #66,771 of 89,506
E12 mustn’t be too far away 🥳

IMG_2407.jpeg
Excited for more details on this and to see what the final shell / faceplate design looks like. Appears to be a slightly different shape than the Frontier series shells.
I'm really curious to see where this one lands price wise. If it runs in the $1 - $1.5k bracket as has been speculate it will be a huge boon imho and pretty much an instant purchase for me.
For some reason I have a feeling this will land between $1.5 - $2k, but I'm hoping you're right.

I'm currently "buckled down" saving for a headphone purchase but if E12 does in fact come in closer to the $1k mark I'll have a hard time resisting it. FiR has yet to disappoint on the sonics front for me.

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #66,772 of 89,506
Excited for more details on this and to see what the final shell / faceplate design looks like. Appears to be a slightly different shape than the Frontier series shells.

For some reason I have a feeling this will land between $1.5 - $2k, but I'm hoping you're right.

I'm currently "buckled down" saving for a headphone purchase but if E12 does in fact come in closer to the $1k mark I'll have a hard time resisting it. FiR has yet to disappoint on the sonics front for me.

Honestly with how insane prices are becoming anything sub $2k for a truly great IEM makes me really happy these days. Going forward it will take an awful lot or something pretty unique to make me spent anytihng close to $3k or above.

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #66,773 of 89,506
LeJardin may be definitely better for you. Still available from what I see.

Amber is a bass heavy IEM although it still retains beautiful mids.

But you could argue LJ looks nicer and has a higher value with it's $3500 flagship cable.

However, it will be harder to sell used compared to AP which is hyped now.

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #66,774 of 89,506
Guys I need help contacting Unique Melody.

I have a broken pair of my MEST CIEM for repair.

I have most of their flagships and they do not even answer a message sent through their contact form.

I don't want to do this through my distributor as I moved countries and he also often doesn't answer messages, lol.
Here I am. PM me or send me a email at uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Oct 14, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #66,775 of 89,506
Guys, please be noted: we found fake UM products in China.

All UM IEMs are using the exclusive and patented drivers. The counterfeits may uses the poorly made $1-2's BAs, DDs and BCDs.
I have showed a few audiophiles how to distinguish UM's BCDs with other BCDs. UM's house exclusive BCDs are always sitting right behind the faceplates(exclude MEXT), and it is significantly bigger than most drivers on the market. NO OTHER manufacturers have this full-range BCD.
You clearly can't see this driver in this picture.

Be aware and only buy from the authorized dealers!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231014_105731.jpg
    Screenshot_20231014_105731.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 0
Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Oct 14, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #66,776 of 89,506
I thought they were both exactly the same, just different looks and perhaps cables? This comes up every so often and I always forget the exact differences. I have in my mind they are the same. Can anyone elaborate? Tks.
That's exactly how you wrote it: both are the same and differ only in appearance and cable.

I never heard the Jardin but I demoed the Red Halo on a few occasions and it sounded to me exactly like Le Jardin was described relative to Amber Pearl above.
Yep, no surprise there (see above).

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #66,777 of 89,506
LeJardin may be definitely better for you. Still available from what I see.

Amber is a bass heavy IEM although it still retains beautiful mids.

But you could argue LJ looks nicer and has a higher value with it's $3500 flagship cable.

However, it will be harder to sell used compared to AP which is hyped now.
I think so too, what do you think is the advantage of buying Dap AP for the basic version?

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #66,778 of 89,506

I don't have enough experience with Grand Maestro to really speak in anything more than generalities. The biggest difference between the tuning of the two IEMs is that the GM has what might be called a more balanced/mature and generalist tuning making it an easier rec for someone knowing nothing of what their tastes are or what they listen to. Grand Maestro has great qualitiy bass but imho it is by no means a bass centric IEM or anything. Trifecta is a totally different beast. While imho it has a broader range than is sometimes given credit for it has a deep, bombastic, cavernous bass-driven sound-- the bass resonse on the Trifecta is the wellspring from which the whole sonic tapestry flows. Unlike with the Bonneville which I have been recklessly hyping this past couple weeks because I feel it is a compariviely safe and broadly appealing incarnation of CFA's house sound the Trifecta, as much as I love it, is clearly not for everyone. I have an easier time recommending it for you because you are looking at something with a strong emphasis on hip hop and quite frankly I don't think you'll find a better IEM on the market than Trifecta for this...IMHO. Trifecta is also a lot easier to drive if that's relevant for you at all.

I don't think any of Rn6/Xe6/Odin/Raven/Odyssey can compete with the IER Z1R in treble response or female vocals...so there perhaps definitely a side grade. Some might say bass response too but that is more of a coin toss. Where IER Z1R loses points from me is how lean it is in the mid-bass/lower mids. Rn6/Xe6/Odin/Raven/Odyssey might be considered a proper upgrade in that department.

Sounds like Le Jardin was a repackaged Red Halo in a lot of ways.
I am thinking that it is better to spend a few extra dollars over the Grand Maestro and just get the Trifecta from my local dealer. Until now I was unable to find it in India and Singapore but things worked out.

I am using RS6 + AK 10 PA as source and if needed, I will do a source + cable upgrade once the Trifecta is in my hands. I am thinking that even though the Trifecta is rather easy to drive, it should be quite source + cable sensetive.

Many many thanks Jeff. You have truly been of enormous help.

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #66,779 of 89,506
I am thinking that it is better to spend a few extra dollars over the Grand Maestro and just get the Trifecta from my local dealer. Until now I was unable to find it in India and Singapore but things worked out.

I am using RS6 + AK 10 PA as source and if needed, I will do a source + cable upgrade once the Trifecta is in my hands. I am thinking that even though the Trifecta is rather easy to drive, it should be quite source + cable sensetive.

Many many thanks Jeff. You have truly been of enormous help.

I've never heard the RS6. My favorite source (generally and for the Trifecta) is the LP6, however I also quite enjoy it through my little AK SR35. Campfire stuff always sounds great with AK stuff in my experience. I would think source that wasn't excessively warm or doesn't super exagerrate treble should be fine. The Shanling M8 of all the sources I have owned in the past would probably not be a good fit for this reason.

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #66,780 of 89,506
I've never heard the RS6. My favorite source (generally and for the Trifecta) is the LP6, however I also quite enjoy it through my little AK SR35. Campfire stuff always sounds great with AK stuff in my experience. I would think source that wasn't excessively warm or doesn't super exagerrate treble should be fine. The Shanling M8 of all the sources I have owned in the past would probably not be a good fit for this reason.
I have RS8 & DX 320 Max TI in mind if it doesn't pair well with RS6. It is something I can only decide after the Trifecta is in my hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back