The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 9, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #66,301 of 89,365
Updates from the lair 9.10.2023

(USA is the only country in the world using MM/DD format, I believe. I won't be doing that).

1. N30LE still going strong, it's hard to go back to SP3000 and WM1ZM2, but I still try to do that, from time to time. They are obviously easier to carry. But it's often worth it to take a messenger bag for my N30LE or just carry it around in my trousers. This sound is really something, like not many desktop amps have the capability to scale up so high. I love it more than when I published my review here. Long-term love is most important in audio, and that's an important message from me, that N30LE stays in the loop after so many days. It's so addictive. Even though SP3k and WM1ZM2 are such great DAPs, sound is much bleaker and grey
How would you compare N30LE to SP3K + Tsuranagi? (I believe you own the Tsuranagi?). Clearly the SP3K has a weak amp, but I’m wondering if a good amp addresses most of its shortcomings vs. N30LE.

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #66,302 of 89,365
Does using the MK 475 with the SP3K change the sound you hear from the SP3K? When I think of an amp I only think in terms of it providing more power. But, reading various posts on here regarding things like the MK 475 or the C9 seems to suggest that these amps offer quite a lot more to the sound. I’m curious what this can be.
Yes, definitely. The most noticeable difference is in the technical performance (soundstage, dynamics, etc.) but there’s also a bit of a change in tuning. The 475 adds more bass, and a little bit of treble.

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #66,303 of 89,365
I'm trying to find any more obscure brands to get interested in. Any recommendations?
Luxury and Precision (they make the finest DAPs I've heard). @visi77 is selling the coveted LP6 7AE (https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/eu-lp6tiae-7th-anniversary-edition-luxury-precission.55143/).

I would also look at FitEar (iems), but buying them can be difficult. Same goes for the Sony Just Ear.

Rhapsodio Infinity Ultra is a super clear, super hi resolution, layered IEM. https://www.e-earphone.jp/products/detail/1498826/

These folks make interesting amps https://www.analog2p.com/

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #66,305 of 89,365
I had the N7/MK 475 combo. Haven’t heard the C9 before and while I cannot really justify the cost of the N30LE it is still worth it to me. It’s really changed my mind when it comes to sources. ... In my humble opinion it is a significant upgrade 💪🏼🙌🏼

Going from N7/C9 to N30LE, I hear it more of an upgrade and somewhere in between. They share similar characteristics but distinctive in their sound and focus – N7 being an exceptional 1BIT DSD player. Neither DAPs are "reference" sounding and Cayin's house/signature sound is colored though I hear N7/C9 less so compared to N30LE especially N30LE in Tube Classic.

Unfortunately my N7/C9 stack and RS8 have getting less playtime where N30LE combines the best of all 3 into a single musically engaging DAP.

1. N30LE still going strong ... I love it more than when I published my review here. Long-term love is most important in audio, and that's an important message from me, that N30LE stays in the loop after so many days. It's so addictive.
Thanks for these reflections. I don't have a clear answer on the N7/C9 vs. N30LE decision, though there is a tilt on the fun factor. I don't think I've read any negative impressions of the N30LE (other than a since-resolved tech glitch). That seems to be one litmus test, the dissenting voices. Other than price point I'm not seeing any. The N30 seems to be a remarkable TOTL-of-TOTL DAPs.

Speaking of TOTL of TOTLs, the N30LE costs more than 2 of what I think of at TOTL DAPs - for example, RS8 and N7 combined cost = one N30LE. So is that DAP's performance and the enjoyment of it worth two of the others? This line of inquiry extends to transducers as well. Is one Traillii worth a combined Annihilator 23 and Rn6? Is one Amber Pearl worth an Aura and Ronin combined? Questions that don't have answers, other than what cash flow says is so!

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #66,307 of 89,365
Thanks for these reflections. I don't have a clear answer on the N7/C9 vs. N30LE decision, though there is a tilt on the fun factor. I don't think I've read any negative impressions of the N30LE (other than a since-resolved tech glitch). That seems to be one litmus test, the dissenting voices. Other than price point I'm not seeing any. The N30 seems to be a remarkable TOTL-of-TOTL DAPs.

Speaking of TOTL of TOTLs, the N30LE costs more than 2 of what I think of at TOTL DAPs - for example, RS8 and N7 combined cost = one N30LE. So is that DAP's performance and the enjoyment of it worth two of the others? This line of inquiry extends to transducers as well. Is one Traillii worth a combined Annihilator 23 and Rn6? Is one Amber Pearl worth an Aura and Ronin combined? Questions that don't have answers, other than what cash flow says is so!
It's the same principle, after a certain point, price doesn't matter.

I think in Portable Audio, that level is at around USD $3.5 K. Most items above that price are bought by deep pockets.

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #66,308 of 89,365
I've been away but believe there's a Top 3 poll happening, so jumping in quick with my vote:

Z1R
Rn6
Trifecta

Glad you made it. The results would not feel complete without your contribution.

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #66,309 of 89,365
Glad you made it. The results would not feel complete without your contribution.
You can pre-fill his entries for the next poll.. :)

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #66,310 of 89,365

Other things to consider beyond price and outright performance are form factor, your typical use case and general ease of use.

A DAP + external amp means an interconnect is required, along with another device to keep charged + spare batteries (if using an amp that takes rechargeable batteries like Tsu, 475, C9, etc.). The N30LE is undoubtedly expensive but it's a TOTL standalone device. Arguably quite a bit more portable than a DAP + interconnect + amp combo which I'd personally classify as really just transportable.

Anecdotal, but I owned a RU6 for a while and even though it's a small device I quickly got annoyed by having another cable in the chain. It's just not as tidy or elegant as having a DAP as the sole source for portable listening.

Oct 9, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #66,311 of 89,365
I have the N30 Amber Pearl and I can definitively recommend this combo, it is sublime... with high quality recording, but I found that it does not support bad recording/track.
Since I have it, I had to remove some lower quality tracks from my playlists (or upgrade them to the DSD version if available).

—> does other N30 AP owners also find that the Amber Pearl really do not support mediocre tracks more than other DAPs

Oct 9, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #66,312 of 89,365
RS8 and N7 combined cost = one N30LE. So is that DAP's performance and the enjoyment of it worth two of the others? This line of inquiry extends to transducers as well. Is one Traillii worth a combined Annihilator 23 and Rn6? Is one Amber Pearl worth an Aura and Ronin combined
I will happily answer that:

1. N30LE is worth more than WM1ZM2 and SP3000 combined as neither scales so high. But it's a bit less portable. But the battery holds like crazy with such kind of power. I haven't heard RS8 nor N7 but reading reviews I would guess they are on a similar level to aforementioned flagships whereas N30LE is a step up in sound quality.

2. One Trailii is worth more than Rn6 and many others combined (I haven't heard Annihilator) as it is an almost perfect "can't touch this" tuning with absolutely nothing wrong and a tier 1 classic. You can't get tired listening to it. Whereas the other mentioned models are fun V-shapes and Radon6 is now winning the polls, but I wouldn't say that it will go down the annals of IEM history. Note however that Trailii doesn't have the technicals of MAD24 2023 that I'm constantly shilling. It's still "just" 8BA + 4EST but implemented ridiculously ,right. So yes, it's often worth it to buy a summit-fi IEM to possibly end the game. Another case for me would be LeJardin which I will keep for the rest of my life, or in headphone world: Sony R10 and ATH W2022. All immortal classics.

3. Amber Pearl in all its glory is not worth more than Aura and other flagships combined. Why? I have not heard Ronin. But the mentioned Aura is also a classic with perfect mids, perfect highs and perfect bass, great technicalities, resolution, imaging, layering, everything. Very refined warm or bassy neutral to maybe mild v-shape with class. Can't touch this. It can compete with Pearl 1:1 and thus has higher value for money.

Oct 9, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #66,313 of 89,365
I have the N30 Amber Pearl and I can definitively recommend this combo, it is sublime... with high quality recording, but I found that it does not support bad recording/track.
Since I have it, I had to remove some lower quality tracks from my playlists (or upgrade them to the DSD version if available).

—> does other N30 AP owners also find that the Amber Pearl really do not support mediocre tracks more than other DAPs

I agree that the Amber Pearl is sublime. I actually preferred it through my LP6 (over the N30 Amber Pearl Edition), which tends to elevate everything plugged into it.

I've been away but believe there's a Top 3 poll happening, so jumping in quick with my vote:

Z1R
Rn6
Trifecta

If I'm not mistaken your vote for the Z1r is its 10th and should elevate it into the highest (10+ votes) echelon of the poll. Quite impressive for one of the oldest IEMs on the list. It didn't have any votes at all after the first couple tabulations. I sounded the alarm and in your stead many came to its rescue.

In other news more props to my newest audio infatuation. The Bonneville just does so much right for me and has not hit a false note yet. I've been listening to it today around the house and so often I just get lost in joy at what I'm hearing and want to sing and dance to the music. Probably the highest praise I can pay an IEM is that it just brings me joy to listen to, even if this is something of an intangible and subjective response. The Bonneville does this in spades.

387788308_10168379696690654_6161201690158162064_n.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #66,314 of 89,365
How would you compare N30LE to SP3K + Tsuranagi? (I believe you own the Tsuranagi?). Clearly the SP3K has a weak amp, but I’m wondering if a good amp addresses most of its shortcomings vs. N30LE.
I forgot to wrote about Tsuranagi. It's really something when connected to either of my daps, including also WM1ZM2 and N30LE. Generally speaking Tsuranagi is a neutralizer. It adds minus 3 dB to the bass - that's a subjective perception, while it still retains gobbles of musicality. It makes Amber Pearl almost neutral, lol.

Whereas Aroma A100TB I once heard added like +3 dB to the bass. Idk, maybe Aroma has some switches to regulate that - I forgot to read reviews but these impressions made me lose interest in such a bassy amp.

So yes, adding Tsuranagi to the stack allows me to experience a different world of music. With N30LE it is not a better world sonically, just different. A neutral reference musical tuning with huge power and some background hiss.

I couldn't say if Tsu alone makes SP3k compete with N30LE. Probably not. But it definitely does something.

Do note that SP3K does not have a weak amp. It has enough power to listen to DCA Stealth and such. It's powerful enough as a desktop replacement, don't let yourself be told otherwise.

Oct 9, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #66,315 of 89,365
Where did you order the Boneville from? I see it as orderable from 10.19
My distributor. Nothing special mate, i will get it like everybody else, definitely after that date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back