The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 9, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #66,286 of 89,368
It was a very unorganized stream of conscience on my phone, LOL, and could go in depth a bit more in the next couple of days.

My love for RS8 lead me to N7, where they share sound similarities – natural resolving and analog tonality with a very subtle coloring, big soundstage – with N7 having an edge in treble rendition – natural, revealing resolution and layering without brightness.

N7 was my go to when I was in the mood for slightly more details or local DSD playback where N7 excels. Not that RS8 doesn't excel in local DSD playback, N7 was designed for 1BIT DSD playback and PCM conversion/upscaling while bringing a variation Cayin's sound, tuning and technicals at a lower price point. Perhaps Cayin could have squeaked out a bit more amp power with N7 – it's not anemic with easy to drive IEMs and low impedance headphones but more juice is always appreciated.

N30LE is Cayin's "best of" in one while scaling up technical performance and Cayin's expert sound tuning. It has that natural resolving and analog tonality, dynamics and layering without analytical transparency, and variations of Cayin's sound and coloration with triple timbre modes.

Since you're enjoying N7, focus on your priorities and if N30LE is a preview of future Cayin's products, there's no rush to upgrade. I'm crossing my fingers for a C9mk2 with Tube Classic timbre :pray:
Once I have the N7 in hand it will undergo a lengthy comparison with my RS8. Very curious to test them against each other.

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #66,287 of 89,368
Have you tried Grand Maestro on a more powerful DAP? The SP3000 really doesn't do that IEM justice in terms of dynamics, but I do like the tonality from it 🥲 but at the end of the day if you're happy with it as then that's all that matters.
I don't have the A90D anymore, unfortunately, as I went "all-in" IEMs now. But this is also something I want to try someday.

The GM sounds terrific from the SP3000. I listen to it as I type. When I get the chance, I will try running them from another, high power, source. But I don't expect too much of a difference for myself, tbh. Seems like I'm immune to such changes, same with cables. Good for my wallet :wink:

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #66,289 of 89,368
Updates from the lair 9.10.2023

(USA is the only country in the world using MM/DD format, I believe. I won't be doing that).

1. N30LE still going strong, it's hard to go back to SP3000 and WM1ZM2, but I still try to do that, from time to time. They are obviously easier to carry. But it's often worth it to take a messenger bag for my N30LE or just carry it around in my trousers. This sound is really something, like not many desktop amps have the capability to scale up so high. I love it more than when I published my review here. Long-term love is most important in audio, and that's an important message from me, that N30LE stays in the loop after so many days. It's so addictive. Even though SP3k and WM1ZM2 are such great DAPs, sound is much bleaker and grey

2. Amber Pearl stays with me also. I received no serious offers for it and... that may actually be for the better. It officially entered my Top Tier List of IEMs or CIEMs. Actually my goal of collecting stuff is to ultimately fill that kind of a list of all-time classics. It's the only IEM that accomplished that (as I almost only use CIEMs). It's the only V-shape that accomplished that (as I am a neutralhead).

There was a discussion whether Mentor's bass was supposedly better than some DD-based IEMs. I don't know about Mentor, but AP bass is astounding and is actually better than most DD IEMs I have. Including RN6 CIEM -- at least for me. I am not the type of person to hype the bass section in any IEM; I'd rather focus on the mids. But here -- this bass is absolutely beautiful. Resolution, texture, warmth, tactility... I became a fan of Amber Pearl including its bass and I'm happy to keep it.

I also appreciate the highs as definitely refined when compared to MM and definitely more than you would predict 2EST to be, and there's definitely the magic of BCD working at all frequencies. I listen to it several times a day, even with a large choice of other custom IEMs that I have. My subconcious makes me prioritize it, which - again - means something. I like to listen to this intuition, it often knows better than my logical mind.

3. These are my happy spending days:
  • Ordered Campfire Boneville custom and Trifecta based on your recommendations.
  • Also ordered Kinera Imperial Loki, darker Asia version, supposedly CIEM, but I'm waiting for confirmation. I wonder how this BCD driver performs.
  • Noble Viking Ragnar custom prestige is in the making.
  • Waiting for Soranik MEMS-3 & Basilica any day now. This is most exciting as MEMS drivers are something completely new.
  • Risked even the A18t (sic!) to give it a chance.
  • I'm trying to order an Annihilator but messaging with them is pretty hard.
  • Trying to inspire a few companies to make new products.
  • I'm trying to find any more obscure brands to get interested in. Any recommendations?
  • I have heard that our Polish brands, Custom Art and Craft Ears, are working on some new flagships. Can't wait to hear more.
  • Decided not to purchase Rhapsodio after I saw some measurements here. But I may be convinced otherwise if they send me some more measurements as they promised in their own thread.
4. Got Vishnu cases for SP3k, WM1ZM2 and Tsuranagi. All from black cordovan leather. The last one for Brise is perfect. But cases for the Sony in particular has some little errors and imperfections, as if they don't have this DAP on hand and only some measurements. Especially the cuts made for buttons are imperfect. Also this kind of leather is too thick for SP3k - there are no particular errors here, but I preffer to return to the perfectly fitted stock case.

5. Waiting for the new custom silicone shells for Trailii and Khan and KSE1500 from Ambient Acoustics! Should be here any day now.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #66,290 of 89,368
All good I'm going to do a final tally close off the poll a bit later today.

That's a great idea I might reach out to them and ask.

That is my hope too. At the end of the day variety is key-- there is room in this hobby for all forms of expression. That is what keeps it alive, inspiring and thriving.

No, I don't like them either. I've owned a few IEMs with switches and tuning modules and I almost always find that it's the "stock" tuning option I prefer above all. I understand why manufacturers do that, it's a way to provide some variety and choice...but at the end of the day it's more of a novelty than anytihng else.

That is so strange considering SG is one of the world's audio meccas.

Xe6 or Bonneville IMHO...but I think Trifecta is sufficiently epic with hip hop that it's worth persisting a bit and trying to find a way to get your hands on one.

There is nothing quite like Trifecta TBH...but I would be very surprised if anyone who loved Trifecta did not also love Bonneville.

Heh heh that's what we all say, and yet here we are. Walking around the show floor in SoCal last week looking at the joyful faces of (mostly) adult men hopping from one table to the next demoing to their hearts content it was hard not to regard the spectacle as ultimately a form of play. As high tech and expensive as it may be it's hard not to equate audio gear with "toys".
Could you ask CFA if they have Trifecta in Universal, as it seems that you personally know them.

After everything you have mentioned, it is something I feel is a good starting point for TOTL monitors.

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #66,291 of 89,368
Could you ask CFA if they have Trifecta in Universal, as it seems that you personally know them.

After everything you have mentioned, it is something I feel is a good starting point for TOTL monitors.

By "Trifecta in universal" do you mean "Bonneville in custom"? Trifecta is only available in universal.

I don't personally know them. I just met Caleb (one of the two main guys) for the first time in SoCal and struck up a connection there. Regarding my acquisition of the Bonneville I must have impressed him with my fanboyism and gushing about the brand. I don't think he knew who I was before that-- CFA doesn't seem to have any presence on Head Fi at all these days and haven't since before the days of the Watercooler.

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #66,292 of 89,368
By "Trifecta in universal" do you mean "Bonneville in custom"? Trifecta is only available in universal.

I don't personally know them. I just met Caleb (one of the two main guys) for the first time in SoCal and struck up a connection there. Regarding my acquisition of the Bonneville I must have impressed him with my fanboyism and gushing about the brand. I don't think he knew who I was before that-- CFA doesn't seem to have any presence on Head Fi at all these days and haven't since before the days of the Watercooler.
I was told by a retailer in Singapore that CFA is only taking orders for Trifecta in Custom. I should have checked the CFA site beforehand which I am going to do right now.

I will write to CFA and ask what is going on. I am sure that they will be able to guide me on how to buy a unit.

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #66,293 of 89,368
I was told by a retailer in Singapore that CFA is only taking orders for Trifecta in Custom. I should have checked the CFA site beforehand which I am going to do right now.

I will write to CFA and ask what is going on. I am sure that they will be able to guide me on how to buy a unit.

I don’t know how they could possibly make that design in custom form. This is the first I’ve heard of that. Curious what you find out.

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #66,296 of 89,368
Could it be lost in translation perhaps? My assumption behind that message is that they're taking orders for Trifecta on a special order basis, rather than CIEM variant?

That's probably exactly what's going on.

Oct 9, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #66,299 of 89,368
But BONEVILLE....................how does it sound?

I don't know what to add at this point beyond what I've already said. I collected all my impressions and posted them in the dedicated thread for anyone interested.

Updates from the lair 9.10.2023

2. Amber Pearl stays with me also. I received no serious offers for it and... that may actually be for the better. It officially entered my Top Tier List of IEMs or CIEMs. Actually my goal of collecting stuff is to ultimately fill that kind of a list of all-time classics. It's the only IEM that accomplished that (as I almost only use CIEMs). It's the only V-shape that accomplished that (as I am a neutralhead).

There was a discussion whether Mentor's bass was supposedly better than some DD-based IEMs. I don't know about Mentor, but AP bass is astounding and is actually better than most DD IEMs I have. Including RN6 CIEM -- at least for me. I am not the type of person to hype the bass section in any IEM; I'd rather focus on the mids. But here -- this bass is absolutely beautiful. Resolution, texture, warmth, tactility... I became a fan of Amber Pearl including its bass and I'm happy to keep it.

Bass was the achilles heel for me with Mentor and claims that it even approaches nevermind surpasses "most DDs" are IMHO out of touch with reality. We all hear things differently, though, so YMMV. That said the Amber Pearl's bass is indeed excellent-- and big step up from Mentor in that regard imho...not sure I'd say it surpasses the likes of Rn6 or a good DD, but this is one area I tend to nitpick about to the extreme. So YMMV (again). Bass is one of those things there seem to be wide discrepancies in perception about. I see there was a major push from the influencer cartel to hype the bass of the Volur. I went in with high hopes and felt it merely average...especially next to the likes of the Bonneville, or even the Electron 12. Not sure what happened there.

Looking forward to your thoughts here!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #66,300 of 89,368
Where did you order the Boneville from? I see it as orderable from 10.19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back