The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 6, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #65,926 of 90,390
No idea but I'll be waiting with bated breath to find out. If indeed it comes out in the ~$1500 price bracket it will be tremendously competitive and pretty much neck-in-neck with Singularity for the most technically complete and competent single DD on the market. I much preferred this to the 64 Audio Valur, which felt bloated and dull in comparison...the Electron 12 has more air and much better bass imho.
Bogdan said that E12 will likely slot in between the Bellos Audio IEMs (the X4 is $999) and the FiR Frontier Series pricewise. $1500ish would make sense and would be competitive with Singularity. If the production shell is all metal with a faceplate similar to the Frontier series it'll be hard to not jump on it. Love the build quality of the Frontier IEMs.

Interesting on your thoughts versus Volür... You didn't like Nio much if I recall correctly, right?

Oct 6, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #65,927 of 90,390
As an alternate to FiR's as an IEM. It's been some time I've listened to GM while I was looking for a replacement for my EVO but I recall enjoying GM's overall and flexible tuning including bass and sub bass. I wasn't a fan of EVO's upper mid and treble tuning, elastic "plasticky" sub bass reverb which I hear on some tracks plus I had issues with driver flex but did enjoy it with certain genres and tracks.

Raven or LX are other considerations – I personally haven't auditioned it yet.
Many thanks 🙏

Oct 6, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #65,928 of 90,390
Bogdan said that E12 will likely slot in between the Bellos Audio IEMs (the X4 is $999) and the FiR Frontier Series pricewise. $1500ish would make sense and would be competitive with Singularity. If the production shell is all metal with a faceplate similar to the Frontier series it'll be hard to not jump on it. Love the build quality of the Frontier IEMs.

Interesting on your thoughts versus Volür... You didn't like Nio much if I recall correctly, right?

Knowing FiR it’ll likely be offered as a CIEM option, did they ever elaborate on that? I wouldn’t mind another “edc” type IEM to rotate out with MSE at the gym.

Oct 6, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #65,929 of 90,390
Knowing FiR it’ll likely be offered as a CIEM option, did they ever elaborate on that? I wouldn’t mind another “edc” type IEM to rotate out with MSE at the gym.
Didn't see anything mentioned about a CIEM option but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. If a CIEM is offered, and I really like the tuning on the UIEM, I'd take a hard look at going that route for a first custom. FiR's CIEMs seem second to none in terms of build quality.

He also mentioned the "Electron Series" in his post about the projected price bracket... series leads me to believe there could be more than just the Electron 12 coming up. I may be reading too deep into his post, though. We'll see.

Oct 6, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #65,930 of 90,390

If it is really going to be priced in there that is really something else. With the quality of IEMs coming out in that price bracket these days something will have to really stand out and be unique to compel e to spend over $2k.

No, in fairness, I did not. Volur was the first IEM I tried at Bloom last weekend and my initial thoughts were "decent, if a little utilitarian". Then I tried the Electron 12 and preferred it in every way-- more air, better bass, vaster stage, more engagement etc. I figured it was mostly my preference for single DDs coming through however later that day the Bonneville (also a hybrid) properly blew my mind and imho exceeds the Volur in every single metric that matters to me-- including and especially bass quality. The fact that both Electron 12 and Bonneville appear to be priced a good $700 below the Volur is icing on the cake. All of that said this is just my personal opinion and I've never particularly jived with 64's house sound so maybe I'm not the best source of info here. As with all things judge with your own ears.

Oct 6, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #65,931 of 90,390
Was looking for the new UE Premier measurements and found this...

https://www.soundguys.com/ue-pro-premier-review-96565/

Sound quality 6.4/10 XD

And this... what the heck :)
Zrzut ekranu 2023-10-6 o 17.36.00.png
Good that I didn't blind buy, thanks God halleluyah!

Oct 6, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #65,932 of 90,390
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 6, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #65,933 of 90,390
That's simply no good... Not sure what they're going after with this tuning...

It's clear the brand is dying.

It's their first new model after many years, and the main UE brand is focused on bluetooth speakers.

Ultimate Ears was acquired by Logitech in August 2008.

It's even hard to find their CIEM offering. There's only one "pro" link at the very bottom of their main site.

This 21BA was designed by an intern. Their CEO probably doesn't even visit this division anymore.

Oct 6, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #65,934 of 90,390
Oct 6, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #65,936 of 90,390

Sound quality 6.4/10 XD

Maybe it needs some EQ? My UE Live has pretty weird tuning too, kinda felt like it was tuned to not feel like it was tuned? After some EQ it feels like the drivers were given life somehow like they're made to perform at 50 and we put in the other 50 ourselves, they reacted quite differently with EQ compared to other sets I have.

Oh well, still not a valid reason for it to be sold this way.

Oct 6, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #65,938 of 90,390
Some results of our last few "Top 3" polls.

Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 8.00.06 AM.png
Trailli still going strong.

Z1R is very up and down but always near top 6. Really impressive. "Z1R MKii" or its successor has big shoes to fill

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 6, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #65,939 of 90,390
MusicTeck Stay updated on MusicTeck at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MusicTeckStore https://www.musicteck.com/ info@musicteck.com
Oct 6, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #65,940 of 90,390
Didn't see anything mentioned about a CIEM option but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. If a CIEM is offered, and I really like the tuning on the UIEM, I'd take a hard look at going that route for a first custom. FiR's CIEMs seem second to none in terms of build quality.

He also mentioned the "Electron Series" in his post about the projected price bracket... series leads me to believe there could be more than just the Electron 12 coming up. I may be reading too deep into his post, though. We'll see.
Ooh.. if there’s an Electron Series, and each installment is denoted by the size of the DD, could this be a line-up of single-DD IEMs with differently-sized diaphragms? It isn’t likely, considering the amount of proprietary DDs they’d have to order. But, it’s never been done before (outside of, say, Sennheiser’s IEMs), and it could be pretty sick.

Sound quality 6.4/10 XD

UE lost its way after the UE18+ Pro, IMO. Apparently, there was another change in leadership then, and they were responsible for the UE6, UE18 Gen. 3 and the Live, which were all very wonky-sounding. I saw some hope for the UE6 and Live for drumming, but that’s pretty much it. I thought the Premier could be a return to form, but it looks like the tuning direction of the UERM/UERR/UE18+ Pro is gone for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back