The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 28, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #65,131 of 91,342
I'm bringing some stuff from my personal collection to SoCal. There's a bunch of stuff that I don't know if anyone else if exhibiting or bringing to the show. Since I brought them for some other friends to try anyways, I thought I'd extend the offer to everyone. Do note that if our booth is busy my attention will naturally be prioritised there.

For IEMs: Goldplanar AMT16, Intime Miyabi mk2, Acoustune HS1657, Ucotech RE2

Earbuds: VE Sun Copper, Longyao/Yinman DR09, Ourart QJ21, DQSM Turandot, Fiio EM5, Rose Maria, Sony E888

I'm not affiliated with any of these brands, it's just stuff I enjoy and keep because they are unique or because I like them.

On our front (Nightjar), in addition to Singularity and our new range of cables including our new flagship, we will have a range of 4.4mm interconnects available for demo for those who are stacking. An updated Duality prototype and a 600ohm flagship earbud prototype will also be present.

Looking forward to seeing everyone! 🙂

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Sep 28, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #65,132 of 91,342
Wow.
I don’t understand at all.
I understand if some of you heard an older version from 2018 (I didn’t but seen some measurements).
Maybe I’m deaf. That must be it.
Or a difference between UIEM and CIEM.
Idk.
Frequency response measurement comparisons (Ambient Acoustics MAD24)

Attachments

• MAD24 Jewel.png
    MAD24 Jewel.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 0
  • MAD24 Viento.png
    MAD24 Viento.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MAD24 Elysium.png
    MAD24 Elysium.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
  • MAD24 AP.png
    MAD24 AP.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 0
  • MAD24 MM.png
    MAD24 MM.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 0
  • MAD24 LeJardin.png
    MAD24 LeJardin.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 28, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #65,133 of 91,342
Interesting.... until reading about the propietary RCX cable connectors...

That might limit aftermarket options. Still, the included cable sounds just fine to me, so I'm not too concerned at the moment.

Sep 28, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #65,134 of 91,342
That might limit aftermarket options. Still, the included cable sounds just fine to me, so I'm not too concerned at the moment.

That's why I am more and more trying to ensure that all my cables are multipurpose...

(As an example my Lavricables Grand Silver Focal + Lavricables extensions for mini-xlr and Utopia)

Attachments

• 20230928_115517.jpg
    20230928_115517.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Sep 28, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #65,135 of 91,342
Frequency response measurement comparisons (Ambient Acoustics MAD24)
I hope this is interesting. MAD24 old version, compared to A18s. Must have been heavily upgraded since then.

MAD24 old version maybe.png

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #65,136 of 91,342
I still think the 64 audio tia open treble driver is the best treble I've heard, have yet to hear Elysium stuff.
tia reproduces highs better than many estats offerings imho. It does get sharp though ocassionaly.

Elysium was the first estat iem I got wowed. If I have to describe EST treble, it would be extended yet effortless. Airy with no hints of harshness.

Elysium's highs were remarkable, until I heard Anni 23. Just incredible. Highs are well-extended while smooth. Its only competitor may be KSE1200, which is a geniune EST iem, but they are just so enjoyable to listen to.

Sep 28, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #65,137 of 91,342
The original UERM continues to be, for me, a fantastically neutral studio monitor. It's because of that, that I prize mine greatly, and rarely bring it out for fear of bad things happening to it. But if it does have an Achilles's heel, it's the supremely flat bass response. It's a double-edged sword, something that I greatly appreciate, but don't always enjoy, if that makes sense. When they tried to address the UERM's low-end issues with the UERR, I was glad but not wowed. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it in any way, not at all. But it's a living embodiment of BA bass... it's moar bass, but not necessary richer bass. It was, to me, a kindred spirit of the UERM, and not necessarily the successor that I personally wanted it to be. I've long hoped that Ultimate Ears would release a true successor to them both, and I was hoping the UE Live would be it, but it went in a different direction. And the UE Premier... in many ways it's an anti-UERM or anti-UERR.

Now, I mention all of this because I recently received a unit here that absolutely blindsided me. Early days still, honeymoon phase, only a few hours into it -- but so far it's fantastically balanced in a way that I totally did not expect. Imagine a UERM, but with DD bass (because it's got a DD for bass). I may have finally found a new monitor signature that tingles my left brain as much as it tickles my right brain. :relaxed:

The number of new people in the hobby that have little to no experience with live music these days is absolutely staggering. To each their own of course, but I feel like they're missing out on a crucial aspect of musical enjoyment.
Yeah, there was a period where I'd have similar impressions of an IEM with other members on the forum, but we'd rank those very in-ears very, very differently. I realized that what I'd viewed as cons were seen as pros to others, and it largely boiled down to a difference in the music we listened to. I listen to 90% acoustic (or mic'ed) records, and many others would do the opposite. So, I do think that musical taste (or, at least, what instruments you listen to and prioritize most) must be taken into account when one is making recommendations or looking for them.

Great to hear about the X4! I was considering an X2 as a drumming IEM. Plus, it would let me try out FiR's matte shells on a quick turnaround. But, now, I'm glad I waited. I hope they come to the next CanJam SG.

tia reproduces highs better than many estats offerings imho. It does get sharp though ocassionaly.

Elysium was the first estat iem I got wowed. If I have to describe EST treble, it would be extended yet effortless. Airy with no hints of harshness.

Elysium's highs were remarkable, until I heard Anni 23. Just incredible. Highs are well-extended while smooth. Its only competitor may be KSE1200, which is a geniune EST iem, but they are just so enjoyable to listen to.
The ELYSIUM was the first IEM in the EST craze to dedicate those drivers to just the upper-treble. I believe the DD ended around 6-7kHz, and the ESTs produced everything above that. The FiR IEMs followed suit with their BAs going up to 10kHz or so, and the ESTs just sitting on the air frequencies. I think that's the best way to go, considering the fact that Sonion's ESTs tend to have a lighter, sandy-er, less substantive (or solid) timbre to them, which can lead to hi-hat strikes and ride cymbal pings lacking a bit of cut. I'd much rather have the harder-edged, more ticky-tacky-sounding BAs handle those sounds.

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #65,138 of 91,342
Hello my great 'Cooler friends, hope everything is well and everyone is doing great!
This is posted in the EE thread too but I just wanted to share it with all of you guys aswell.

I was at Vision Ears in cologne two days ago.
I made an appointment and asked to audition Aura and X.
They said that X is no problem as it belongs to their core lineup.
For Aura they couldn't promise me anything.
Upon arrival they happily told me that they could get their hands on an Aura but I should be very careful not to scratch it and basically baby it.
I started listening to Aura and VEX (asked for an EXT too since I liked it the last time I heard it but didn't have the DAPs to compare better) through my RS8, N8ii and made comparisons to my Ragnar, Xe6 and Rn6 for like 2 and 1/2 hours.
But as of how VE communicated to me the Aura was still under "NDA" and I am not allowed to say anything about it.
I didn't have to sign anything, but out of respect to VE I will keep my word.

It was a great day and I was very happy with what I got, so much so that I did not have to think about an upgrade or a side grade.

IMG_5792.jpeg

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #65,139 of 91,342
Hello my great 'Cooler friends, hope everything is well and everyone is doing great!
This is posted in the EE thread too but I just wanted to share it with all of you guys aswell.

I was at Vision Ears in cologne two days ago.
I made an appointment and asked to audition Aura and X.
They said that X is no problem as it belongs to their core lineup.
For Aura they couldn't promise me anything.
Upon arrival they happily told me that they could get their hands on an Aura but I should be very careful not to scratch it and basically baby it.
I started listening to Aura and VEX (asked for an EXT too since I liked it the last time I heard it but didn't have the DAPs to compare better) through my RS8, N8ii and made comparisons to my Ragnar, Xe6 and Rn6 for like 2 and 1/2 hours.
But as of how VE communicated to me the Aura was still under "NDA" and I am not allowed to say anything about it.
I didn't have to sign anything, but out of respect to VE I will keep my word.

It was a great day and I was very happy with what I got, so much so that I did not have to think about an upgrade or a side grade.

Sick line up right there! 🔥

Sep 28, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #65,140 of 91,342
I'm bringing some stuff from my personal collection to SoCal. There's a bunch of stuff that I don't know if anyone else if exhibiting or bringing to the show. Since I brought them for some other friends to try anyways, I thought I'd extend the offer to everyone. Do note that if our booth is busy my attention will naturally be prioritised there.

For IEMs: Goldplanar AMT16, Intime Miyabi mk2, Acoustune HS1657, Ucotech RE2

Earbuds: VE Sun Copper, Longyao/Yinman DR09, Ourart QJ21, DQSM Turandot, Fiio EM5, Rose Maria, Sony E888

I'm not affiliated with any of these brands, it's just stuff I enjoy and keep because they are unique or because I like them.

On our front (Nightjar), in addition to Singularity and our new range of cables including our new flagship, we will have a range of 4.4mm interconnects available for demo for those who are stacking. An updated Duality prototype will also be present.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Looking forward to saying hi! I'd love to hear the Goldplanar and the Acoustune :D

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #65,141 of 91,342
Do note that if our booth is busy my attention will naturally be prioritised there.
@Chang my friend, you're too modest. Your booth WILL be busy. One doesn't need to be an oracle to know that :wink:

Looking forward to seeing everyone! 🙂
Looking forward to seeing you again!! (and check out the new Duality prototype)

Sep 28, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #65,143 of 91,342
Sep 28, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #65,145 of 91,342
I have 3 cables for review from Effect Audio, Signature Series Eros S Anniversary, Cadmus 8W and Ares S 8W.
I know cables is a heated topic, what both sides can agree on is that this is some premium cables.
Split up my write-up in 3 reviews, while in theory its the same review.
Feel free to read if its of any interest, and please no cable war.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/effect-audio-eros-s-1st-anniversary-edition.26684/review/31888/

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/effect-audio-cadmus-8w.26217/review/31887/

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/effect-audio-ares-s-8w.26216/review/31886/

@EffectAudio

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back