The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 28, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #65,161 of 91,342
Maybe I'm too jaded from following tech for most of my adult life, but I'm increasingly sceptical of something like this being "accidentally" leaked so close to a CanJam or somesuch.

I mean, we're all talking about this thing now, and even though I'm not anywhere close to being in the market for something like this I can't wait to hear it.
We can confirm that this was accidental on the part of a couple of our resellers and a reviewer. Some missed details and miscommunications but all good now. Feel free to explore Volür on our site: https://www.64audio.com/products/volur/

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Sep 28, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #65,162 of 91,342
Cross posting from ET
Quick impressions of ET's Raphael

ET's 8-wire, Project8 Plato x Socrates has been perma paired with my VE EXT for a year and for sometime and thought I couldn't improve this pairing. I also had a stash of cables I've order but never opened – all three new ET Virtues and PWA FTS, LOL. Fast forward to today, unboxed the stash, tossed FTS to the side, and unwrapped all ET's Virtues.

Rolled Raph, hit play on N30LE in Hyper + Tube Classic, and was "Oh MY!" Was this the same EXT I was considering parting with?

Raph transformed EXT's signature by lifting mids and shifting it more forward providing more clarity and detail retrieval. Treble sounded more natural, less peaky. Mids and vocals sounded more balanced with EXT's impactful bass. Overall much more holographic and layered. My quick impression extended into a 2hr Aes Dana session followed by another 2hr sesh with RN6 x Raph.

I was evaluating in keeping or letting my EXT go since I've gone FIRry :rabbit2:, but Raph has made making that decision much harder. 🎉

1695922379709.png

Attachments

• 1695922332989.png
    1695922332989.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 0
Sep 28, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #65,163 of 91,342
Yeah, there was a period where I'd have similar impressions of an IEM with other members on the forum

That's the most important part really... to hear similarly, and being able to communicate what we hear, even if we love (or not) completely differently. :relaxed:

I realized that what I'd viewed as cons were seen as pros to others, and it largely boiled down to a difference in the music we listened to. I listen to 90% acoustic (or mic'ed) records, and many others would do the opposite. So, I do think that musical taste (or, at least, what instruments you listen to and prioritize most) must be taken into account when one is making recommendations or looking for them.

I actually know people that work in the industry, that listen almost exclusively to Mandopop, with smatterings of Taylor Swift here and there. :smile: Absolutely nothing wrong with that! As long they characterize gear accurately apart from personal biases, it's all good.

Great to hear about the X4! I was considering an X2 as a drumming IEM. Plus, it would let me try out FiR's matte shells on a quick turnaround. But, now, I'm glad I waited. I hope they come to the next CanJam SG.

I hope you hear it soon, would love to see your impressions of it. :relaxed:

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #65,164 of 91,342
Sep 28, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #65,165 of 91,342
Sep 28, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #65,166 of 91,342
Cross posting from ET
Quick impressions of ET's Raphael

ET's 8-wire, Project8 Plato x Socrates has been perma paired with my VE EXT for a year and for sometime and thought I couldn't improve this pairing. I also had a stash of cables I've order but never opened – all three new ET Virtues and PWA FTS, LOL. Fast forward to today, unboxed the stash, tossed FTS to the side, and unwrapped all ET's Virtues.

Rolled Raph, hit play on N30LE in Hyper + Tube Classic, and was "Oh MY!" Was this the same EXT I was considering parting with?

Raph transformed EXT's signature by lifting mids and shifting it more forward providing more clarity and detail retrieval. Treble sounded more natural, less peaky. Mids and vocals sounded more balanced with EXT's impactful bass. Overall much more holographic and layered. My quick impression extended into a 2hr Aes Dana session followed by another 2hr sesh with RN6 x Raph.

I was evaluating in keeping or letting my EXT go since I've gone FIRry :rabbit2:, but Raph has made making that decision much harder. 🎉

Well that’s put that cable on my list! How would you say it compares with the PxS p8 in other metrics?

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #65,167 of 91,342
Hello all, been mostly just lurking lately. Havent had a ton of desire to spend more and more money chasing something I doubt I will ever perfectly find...

That said, lots of new interesting things coming out, though most out of my comfort zone in terms of price. Really like the look of the 64 volur, especially as essentially an upgraded Nio. Price is a bit too high for me though.

Some interesting cheaper options from Campfire, too bad they really didnt release much information about them.

Also been keeping an eye on nightjar. The singularity definitely piqued my interest. And the little I have heard about the duality also sounds very interesting. Too bad those are also going to be out of my price range.

Anyways, all that to say, I just put in an order for the singularity. Hoping it lives up to some of the expectations you guys have set for it. But really hoping it fits well as my ears tend to not get along too well with a lot of IEMs. Also guess its going to be time for real to start selling off some of my existing stuff, and everything will be on the table.

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #65,169 of 91,342
1. FatFreq Grand Maestro
2. FatFreq MSE
3. EE Legend Evo
4. Sony IER-Z1R
5. Nightjar Singularity

Honourable mentions to IE900, XE6, Rn6, LX and Odyssey. EE Odin as well purely for its bass quality, but for me it needed a little more quantity.

My fav BA bass list would be:

1. Subtonic Storm
2. qdc Anole V14
3. Elysian Diva
4. 64 Audio U12t
5. UM Mentor
As well, do you still have Plussound Allegro, why you did not include them in this list? Wish to buy

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #65,172 of 91,342
As well, do you still have Plussound Allegro, why you did not include them in this list? Wish to buy
I was reasonably impressed by Allegro’s bass, but I couldn’t get them to fit in my ears properly so I’ve not listened long enough to develop a proper opinion on it.

Sep 28, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #65,175 of 91,342
Is there a lucky person out there who has heard both MAD24 and Storm and can compare?
I had the MAD24 on tour and had it with me for a week. I’ve listened to the Storm twice at two different Canjam’s. My experience therefore sits closer with the 24, but nonetheless I have heard both. I obviously didn’t do an A/B, but from memory they both have excellent detail retrieval, separation and layering. I remember being very impressed with the MAD24 on these aspects. Both are also quite musical despite being still very technical. Unfortunately I cannot compare bass, mids and highs as I had the MAD24 about 2 years ago, and so trying to do so would not be fair on either set. One thing I do know though is that I found Storm quite thin sounding whereas MAD24 had a much fuller body. I would also say MAD24 is warmer than Storm. Even though I said Storm was thin sounding it still has the ability to pull you into the music. It’s a kind of a musical reference sound.

Reading that back I’m not sure if I’ve conveyed anything useful. Hopefully there may be something there of use If only to give a small flavour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back