The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 5, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #58,052 of 88,846
I typically hate switches on my IEMs, but those seem to actually make a big difference. I have one on the way because...I have a problem.
You're in good company!

May 5, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #58,054 of 88,846
Am I the only one that read "requiring extensive 'brain burn-in'" and think "it takes a long time to convince you that the s*** you're hearing is good for you"? 😅😅

Yep, I think this too. There will no doubt be some adjustment period to adapt to the psychoacoustic presentation, so one might appreciate apparent 'improvements' there but tonality is a different matter from my experience. I usually know, with a reasonable degree of certainty, within an hour or so whether an IEM' tonality is 'right' for me. From there I expect to only grow to appreciate it more. For me, no amount of brain burn in will alter a harsh treble or a veiled midrange.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #58,055 of 88,846
I love to dedicate one set for the weekend.

For me it's the AüR Audio Aure this week, this is a set that has grown on me to become one of my favorites. It really sucks that they did not get more good DDs to make more, atleast the 20 people owning one can enjoy this green gem.

Good weekend to all 😊

PXL_20230505_150042565~2.jpg

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #58,057 of 88,846
May 5, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #58,058 of 88,846
I usually know with a reasonable degree of certainty (an hour or so) if an IEM is 'right' for me

I'm the same way though at this point a lot comes down to experience. 2-3 years ago I needed to spend a bit more time with something to figure out if it was for me or not (though sometimes I knew right away) but lately I've got a more high res sense of what I like, what to listen for, and what will become intolerable for me in the long run that often within and hour and easily within a day I can figure out if something is for me or not. That said it still often takes me longer to really get a 360 degree view of what something has to offer.

This made me think of a survey:

What are people's most common "instant deal breakers"? IE., those things that will immediately tell you that some IEM is not for you?

For me:

1) Weak or inadequate bass.
2) Harsh or excess energy up top (typically upper mids or lower treble).
3) Veiled mids.

May 5, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #58,059 of 88,846
Am I the only one that read "requiring extensive 'brain burn-in'" and think "it takes a long time to convince you that the s*** you're hearing is good for you"? 😅😅

I understand what you mean but I don’t fully agree. It’s like going from a dim room straight the sunlight, your eyes need to adjust before everything becomes “normal” again. I see brain burn in with audio in a similar sense. Give someone a warmer set that’s accustomed to listening to neutral gear and the warmer set will probably sound muddy and lacking in detail in comparison until they’re adjusted to the sound. It doesn’t mean they have to like it, but brain burn in is absolutely real and with some sets it takes a little longer than others. Just my 2c :)

May 5, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #58,060 of 88,846
What are people's most common "instant deal breakers"? IE., those things that will immediately tell you that some IEM is not for you?

1 If it lack note weight in mid bass

2 peaky and overly bright upper mids or treble, don't mind brighter sets when done right as its good to have different sets.

3 not about sound, comfort it can actually be point number 1 and can kill a set for me.

May 5, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #58,061 of 88,846
I understand what you mean but I don’t fully agree. It’s like going from a dim room straight the sunlight, your eyes need to adjust before everything becomes “normal” again. I see brain burn in with audio in a similar sense. Give someone a warmer set that’s accustomed to listening to neutral gear and the warmer set will probably sound muddy and lacking in detail in comparison until they’re adjusted to the sound. It doesn’t mean they have to like it, but brain burn in is absolutely real and with some sets it takes a little longer than others. Just my 2c :)
That's not "extensive 'brain burn-in'" to me. Just a bit of adaptation.
If it's more than a while, to me you're forcing yourself to like something you really don't like.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #58,062 of 88,846

I tend to be very critical of the claims and history of the company and people behind the IEMs. Once I find a company that I find likable, capable and honest it is no problem for me to find the value in their IEMs. I have a broad enough musical library that I can find a home for just about any coherent frequency response.

Deal breakers for me:

1) No tuning direction: when every new flagship or model is tuned radically different than the last it shows they have no vision for what they are wanting to achieve: no purpose, no vision, no thanks.

2) Technical misinformation: I'll forgive some inappropriate wording, but a lot of companies make claims that either demonstrate dishonesty or fundamental ignorance of the physics involved, either way no way I'll give them my money.

3) Build issues: It's perhaps a byproduct of how quickly most of the enthusiasts in this hobby cycle through gear, but I find that long term product build quality is generally lacking from most if not all TOTL boutiques currently. I tend to prefer pro gear as a result, but see point 1 :frowning2:

May 5, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #58,063 of 88,846
1) Shouty upper mids
2) Too warm / not enough treble
3) Bad bass/mids balance

May 5, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #58,064 of 88,846

For me:

3) Veiled mids.
(a) Excessive treble to the point of sibilance

(b) honky mids

(c) weak bass

May 5, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #58,065 of 88,846
I'm the same way though at this point a lot comes down to experience. 2-3 years ago I needed to spend a bit more time with something to figure out if it was for me or not (though sometimes I knew right away) but lately I've got a more high res sense of what I like, what to listen for, and what will become intolerable for me in the long run that often within and hour and easily within a day I can figure out if something is for me or not. That said it still often takes me longer to really get a 360 degree view of what something has to offer.

For me:

3) Veiled mids.

In no particular order:

1) Lack of bass texture
2) Lack of sufficient midbass or low-mid weight for cello
3) Uppermid 'shout'
4) Unbalanced pinna-treble / overly U-shaped
5) Flat pinna such that vocals feel recessed or lifeless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back