The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 4, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #58,021 of 88,756
Speaking of cables, does anyone here have experience with the eletech ode to laura? Multiple conflicting reviews, some saying it bloats the bass and has poor treble sparkle and others saying it tightens the bass greatly and has very good treble sparkle.

Obviously it's iem dependent but in all the cables I've tested I found the effects to be similar just to different degrees based on the iem.

And bonus points if anyone here has had both the ode to laura and cleo II octa to compare. :thinking:

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #58,022 of 88,756
Diva 2023 has arrived! 1 day delivery to Canada. DHL 🐐. Packaging is minimal. It has a similar drawer system like Elysian X.

04DE4E95-D56B-4CF6-95BA-1AB742E84854.jpeg

B18F7372-FB67-43CB-9157-ABC6BF8F002D.jpeg

The faceplate looks awesome in person. It changes depending on the lighting. Shells quite light. The nozzle is upgraded from the 2021 demo version.

91609B44-D0AA-43FF-84EA-CA2D2EFD6E26.jpeg

What it looks like in direct sunlight. Excited to get a session in after work.

14268220-4EEA-40C5-8481-10E630BEC8A2.jpeg

May 4, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #58,023 of 88,756
Diva 2023 has arrived! 1 day delivery to Canada. DHL 🐐. Packaging is minimal. It has a similar drawer system like Elysian X.

04DE4E95-D56B-4CF6-95BA-1AB742E84854.jpeg

B18F7372-FB67-43CB-9157-ABC6BF8F002D.jpeg

The faceplate looks awesome in person. It changes depending on the lighting. Shells quite light. The nozzle is upgraded from the 2021 demo version.

91609B44-D0AA-43FF-84EA-CA2D2EFD6E26.jpeg

What it looks like in direct sunlight. Excited to get a session in after work.

14268220-4EEA-40C5-8481-10E630BEC8A2.jpeg
Looks great.i originally thought they all were pink haha, glad there are other colors as well.

May 4, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #58,024 of 88,756
Give them about 60 hours and they really start to come into their own. A very different and seemingly “mature” signature compared to their predecessor the Atlas but an out and unashamedly L shaped signature that is quite easy on the ear. Ultimately preferred the Dorado 2020 for going in the same direction as atlas albeit more technical but you can’t knock Vega 2020 for the signature it was going for.
Yea I think the dorado was aiming for a bit more of a balanced sound, which I think is definitely more likely to appeal to people at least on this forum. My first impressions are that the vega is certainly at least a little more to my preferences.

The tiny white ceramic shell though is real nice. Been looking for an all day iem and that's really hard to find for me since almost everything causes some discomfort. Hopefully these won't, I do remember having some issues with the dorado.

May 4, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #58,025 of 88,756
Speaking of cables, does anyone here have experience with the eletech ode to laura? Multiple conflicting reviews, some saying it bloats the bass and has poor treble sparkle and others saying it tightens the bass greatly and has very good treble sparkle.

Obviously it's iem dependent but in all the cables I've tested I found the effects to be similar just to different degrees based on the iem.

And bonus points if anyone here has had both the ode to laura and cleo II octa to compare. :thinking:
I had experience with Ody. It is increases low end, more deep bass. Warmer tonality for overall. Work great with Ody.

May 4, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #58,026 of 88,756

If I had to generalize OTL's tuning, I hear notable characteristics:
  • organic fuller mids with analog texture
  • imaging with 3D depth
  • smoother, natural treble
OTL + Indigo pairing is a great example of above – fuller mids with a lovely analog texture, more articulate mid-bass; instrument notes have a nice weight, details, and positioning; great vocals and trebles extension and smoothness; soundstage does sound more intimate depending on tracks.

With Cleo II Octa, I hear a more open soundstage and for a silver cable, I enjoy Cleo's more articulate textured bass.

Cleo II + XE6, Cleo II sounds more W-balanced, warm analog textural bass, less full compared to OTL with silver clarity, whereas with XE6, OTL opens the mid signature where there's a more layered instrument separation and details, more clarity in vocals and treble.

Both cables share similarities despite their material differences. If there was an Eletech copper that's similar to Cleo II OCTA imaging, I'd recommend ET Project 8 Socrates – it shares Cleo II's and OTL's imaging and soundstage but with less bass impact.

Footnote: IEMs and cable pairings were testing with Cayin N7 and iBasso 300MAX.
Footnote 2: OTL + Indigo sounds so f'ing good... even with M17 which is "referencey" with THX AMPs.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #58,027 of 88,756
Ha, I would definitely argue that. I also don't care what you paid for them, it's The Watercooler. I just never found a nice box that was easy to get a hold of locally. The cheap Amazon box has worked out great.
Can we see it? I have 2 Amazon watch boxes, but they're full.

May 4, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #58,028 of 88,756
PXL_20230504_190613482.jpg

Well this is weird for me. Bought the vega 2020 on a whim after @Wolfhawk46 posted a graph with it, and yes that is me passing the blame.

Either way, the original vega was my first foray into so called higher end iems and the original mojo was my first foray into higher end dacs. I know it's not the level of a lot of the stuff talked about here, and I know there's pretty much zero interest in the vega and really any campfire releases other than the brand new stuff.

But this kind of feels like coming full circle here for me. And I am now spoiled for choice in the I guess current mid tier space, which is more than good enough for me. Happy to have these. My ultimate goal tends to be for big bassy, warm, smooth sound and these deliver. More importantly, something I can wear for hours without discomfort. I don't remember how I did with the dorado, but I definitely missed these little ceramic shells, and based on sound I probably should have bought these originally instead of the dorado.

I definitely think I need to put a moratorium on any more spending in this hobby for a while.
But do you feel better now that you made the right choice?

May 4, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #58,029 of 88,756
But do you feel better now that you made the right choice?
Hah sort of? But nothing is ever perfect, so theres always this chase, like the next one is gonna be the one, you know? And then the next one arrives, and it could be great. But theres always a realization that most of the differences are really pretty small and the reality never quite matches to the excitement and expectations. And then I tell myself that I have such great variety already and theres no real reason to keep searching.... But as I said, nothing is perfect, so that desire remains... And then the chase starts over.

If I can find a set of tips that lets me wear these for 6-8 hours with zero discomfort, then maybe I can be done. But who am I kidding.

I am fairly easily impressed, but I do like these. Just gotta see where they fit in with the rest of my little collection.

May 4, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #58,030 of 88,756
If I had to generalize OTL's tuning, I hear notable characteristics:
  • organic fuller mids with analog texture
  • imaging with 3D depth
  • smoother, natural treble
OTL + Indigo pairing is a great example of above – fuller mids with a lovely analog texture, more articulate mid-bass; instrument notes have a nice weight, details, and positioning; great vocals and trebles extension and smoothness; soundstage does sound more intimate depending on tracks.

With Cleo II Octa, I hear a more open soundstage and for a silver cable, I enjoy Cleo's more articulate textured bass.

Cleo II + XE6, Cleo II sounds more W-balanced, warm analog textural bass, less full compared to OTL with silver clarity, whereas with XE6, OTL opens the mid signature where there's a more layered instrument separation and details, more clarity in vocals and treble.

Both cables share similarities despite their material differences. If there was an Eletech copper that's similar to Cleo II OCTA imaging, I'd recommend ET Project 8 Socrates – it shares Cleo II's and OTL's imaging and soundstage but with less bass impact.

Footnote: IEMs and cable pairings were testing with Cayin N7 and iBasso 300MAX.
Footnote 2: OTL + Indigo sounds so f'ing good... even with M17 which is "referencey" with THX AMPs.
Yeah I currently have my Indigo with my Cleo II and was considering an OTL for it, I'll see how the pairing is when my SP3k CU comes in. I really love the indigo+Cleo II. I did some testing with my code23 on the indigo and it's really good for bringing out the bcd but it's not ENOUGH better than the cleo IIs bass rumble/texture to be worth the mids being more forward/less staging.

I'll have to see, maybe if there's a reasonably priced OTL lying around I'll pick it up in the future.

May 5, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #58,032 of 88,756
Pentaconn just released Coreir IEM tips - Stainless Steel, Al Alloy and Titanium!!!!
Any idea when will the public be able to buy it??

May 5, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #58,033 of 88,756

Users who are viewing this thread

Back