The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 27, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #41,028 of 88,882
This is a shocker for me. I can’t say I’ve ever heard U12T ever come remotely close to Z1R in dynamics, it’s simply one of U12T’s main weaknesses in fact.

What source are you using, might be under-driving the Z1R
I have the Lotoo Paw 6000. It drives the Z1r well even in the low gain mode.
After testing for many days, I am certain about U12t doing better at micro and macro dynamics- the punch, slam, reverb is just amazing on the u12t. I know the bass impact on the Z1r is better but it doesn't really translate to dynamics.
I suspect we may not be referring to the exact thing when we talk about dynamics- a test track I can recommend is 'Willing to Trust' by Kid Cudi. The main recurring beat at the back just has more impact with the u12t.

Also I'm certainly not alone in this analysis. Precogvision always talks about u12t being the best at dynamics.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #41,029 of 88,882
I have the Lotoo Paw 6000. It drives the Z1r well even in the low gain mode.
After testing for many days, I am certain about U12t doing better at micro and macro dynamics- the punch, slam, reverb is just amazing on the u12t. I know the bass impact on the Z1r is better but it doesn't really translate to dynamics.
I suspect we may not be referring to the exact thing when we talk about dynamics- a test track I can recommend is 'Willing to Trust' by Kid Cudi. The main recurring beat at the back just has more impact with the u12t.

Also I'm certainly not alone at this analysis. Precogvision always talks about u12t is the best at dynamics.
A few pages back I wrote I sold U12t because I was disappointed in its dynamics. It would have helped if I had Precog's ears but I didn't have them handy. It proves the theme song of this very thread "Everybody hears things differently" by J. Rockwell.

drftr

Nov 27, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #41,030 of 88,882
3. Empyrean Elite > Empyrean

The dark tuning reminds me a bit of the Fir House sound with a better organic mid range. Elites resolved better than the OG but I like the styling of the OG more.
Yep, the only reason I haven't caved yet and got an Xe6 already is the Empy on my desk next to me...
If, right now, you could pick one and only one new flagship from the company of your choice which company would you choose? Assume you can just walk into a shop right now and buy it, say, and do not have to wait "two weeks" or anything.
I might tend to go with a safe choice like 64Audio, but I'll vote FiR.

Nov 27, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #41,031 of 88,882
From the few hours I've had with each I'd totally agree. It's like the difference between big class A power and AB. Stage with Jewel felt like it was on another level with DMP, full 360 expansion. DMP definitely has more colour than M2.

Did you compare both with Direct Sound / DSD and both versions of DSEE? I really liked DSEE on M2 (think that's the Ultimate?) but DMP I'm firmly Direct / DSD all the way.
Yeah, the M2 is closer to neutral tuning to me as well. The added thickness and warmth in DMP's sound is something craveworthy 🤤 More color more fun! As you said two slightly different flavors of the same house sound

I didn't check which setting it was so couldn't comment on that one

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #41,032 of 88,882
Has anyone of us heard these?

drftr
sony justear (only the MH2 preset tuning models and other preset specialized version) actually is also offered in china, hong kong SAR and taiwan too. it's a small independent project of its own of some sort funded by Sony when it started out in 2015. as it became more and more popular, the brand was merged back to sony's corporate umbrella (probably sometimes around 2018 - and they start to put sony logo on the metal faceplate :sweat: ). there's some material change (like the soft silicon tip now become hard acrylic same as the whole shell and the choice to have 4.4mm cable) along the long life cycle but seems there's no major change to sonic performace, as justear's core idea is about tuning.

it's a great sounding IEM and the three preset tunning are really quite different. i got the listening model about 2 years ago and still love it. the new japanese club model also sounds great with bass impact no less than XE6 or legend EVO.

a lot of people (including mine) also love their tailored tuning versions for famous artists (and for their player or market too). i missed the LiSA tuning model but is longing to see Nagaya Haruko version to come out. :relaxed: beware though most of these artists in fact using fitear ciem for their professional performance . . .

many considered the MH1 the holy grail of CIEM as Tonohiro Matsuo san (the creator of justear) himself will go through your preference will you through listening to a suite of your own music and tailored made your CIEM according to your preference! that requires two personal visit to their tokyo store in person i believe so it's really rare to see. but quite a few hkers (japanese speaking of coz) shared their ordering experience before. for those who can read chinese, you may see more details here https://post76.hk/thread-243033-1-1.html

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #41,033 of 88,882
You should take in count this iem, Neon Pro by AÜR Audio (small brand from SG), that really excels its price range and goes on TOTL levels when attached to a Class A AMP.
This iem took me by surprise, no doubt, on my TOP 5.

A GOAT in its price range.

1669545004974.png

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #41,034 of 88,882
sony justear (only the MH2 preset tuning models and other preset specialized version) actually is also offered in china, hong kong SAR and taiwan too. it's a small independent project of its own of some sort funded by Sony when it started out in 2015. as it became more and more popular, the brand was merged back to sony's corporate umbrella (probably sometimes around 2018 - and they start to put sony logo on the metal faceplate :sweat: ). there's some material change (like the soft silicon tip now become hard acrylic same as the whole shell and the choice to have 4.4mm cable) along the long life cycle but seems there's no major change to sonic performace, as justear's core idea is about tuning.

it's a great sounding IEM and the three preset tunning are really quite different. i got the listening model about 2 years ago and still love it. the new japanese club model also sounds great with bass impact no less than XE6 or legend EVO.

a lot of people (including mine) also love their tailored tuning versions for famous artists (and for their player or market too). i missed the LiSA tuning model but is longing to see Nagaya Haruko version to come out. :relaxed: beware though most of these artists in fact using fitear ciem for their professional performance . . .

many considered the MH1 the holy grail of CIEM as Tonohiro Matsuo san (the creator of justear) himself will go through your preference will you through listening to a suite of your own music and tailored made your CIEM according to your preference! that requires two personal visit to their tokyo store in person i believe so it's really rare to see. but quite a few hkers (japanese speaking of coz) shared their ordering experience before. for those who can read chinese, you may see more details here https://post76.hk/thread-243033-1-1.html
Very nice primer - tnx...

How would you describe them for Z1R owners; assuming that you have compared them? Like, how tune-able are bass/mods/treble compared to Z1R?

drftr

Nov 27, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #41,035 of 88,882
I'm curious, one of the earlier photo of Blanc had a metallic gloss to the white, like those of pearl white on vehicles. Was the one you tried a milky white like my SM or more pearl like?
It’s definitely more pearl white. Since it has a ceramic coating on the metal shell.

Nov 27, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #41,036 of 88,882
Very nice primer - tnx...

How would you describe them for Z1R owners; assuming that you have compared them? Like, how tune-able are bass/mods/treble compared to Z1R?

drftr
it's quite different in the 3 tuning models but i think the sony engineers themselves said z1r is technically better. i found most ppl owning both will say there's little overlapping and it's nice to own both. especially when i couldnt wear the bucky and heavy z1r well that much. (obviously the JE fits much better as a CIEM).

from my own experience, the universal demo in HK didnt resemble the ciem by a tiny bit. i dont think anyone will pay for the asking price of JE if purely based on the experience with the universal demo. i just ordered with blind faith and on strong recommendations of a few other headfiers. with the listening model i got, it's more towards expansive soundstage and less impact in the mid-bass region and below. Tonohiro Matsuo san himself claimed that JE could be driven by even mobile phone (as it was originated from an era before DAPs being common) but i found i need to dial up the vol setting by quite a bit on my source comparing to, say, VE8, PMX, legend X, etc.

it's a very unique experience and different sounding then most other iems. it's pleasing and easy to listening to. it's quite expensive at the time i ordered mine but it's relatively a bargain now (at just ¥220,000 tax included for MH2 and current exchange rate). i think it's definitely worth it if you can access to it. unlike fitear, JE used to allow foreigners without resident card to purchase JE in person in japan (not sure after they have agents in foreign countries). i believe the ear impression is another ¥9,000. for the current favourable exchange rate, it's a good idea to take a trip to tokyo and get the JE at the same time :relaxed:

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #41,038 of 88,882
Nov 27, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #41,039 of 88,882
You should take in count this iem, Neon Pro by AÜR Audio (small brand from SG), that really excels its price range and goes on TOTL levels when attached to a Class A AMP.
This iem took me by surprise, no doubt, on my TOP 5.

A GOAT in its price range.

1669545004974.png
@Charlyro222 did you plug Neon pro to RU6?

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #41,040 of 88,882
Potential/inbound purchases until the end of 2022:

IEMs:
- Fibae 5 CIEM or UIEM x2
- Z1R
- Odyssey
- Noble Sultan

DAPs:
- RS8 x2
- M6 Ultra
Jewel
WM1ZM2