The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 27, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #41,042 of 89,875
The gold bar is the pinnacle of dongles for the time being. It sounds like a full-sized DAP, slightly warmish tuned with amazing dynamics and detail retrieval. You also get typical iFi features like Xbass, Xspace and IEmatch. Personally, I am enjoying the gold bar without any artifice.

Both sport 3.5mm/4.4mm outputs. Both get loud, especially via 4.4mm.

If there could be only one? Gold bar. The sound signature is right up my alley (almost analog) and drives most of my IEMs with ease.

Thanks a lot for this feedback and enjoy your GOld Bar :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 27, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #41,043 of 89,875
Nov 27, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #41,044 of 89,875
All about IEMs but what are your favourite DAPs?

Favourite DAPs for me this year are AK SP3000 & iBasso DX320 EX. :)
DX320+amp12 EXN-S

Attachments

• 93C7F48B-60E1-4C71-8105-B0312EAF7CE4.jpeg
    93C7F48B-60E1-4C71-8105-B0312EAF7CE4.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 27, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #41,045 of 89,875
Nov 27, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #41,046 of 89,875
I read that review now and he did describe the sound as totally different... Don't know what I should think about that.
If you just want a very good dongle then I personally would choose between RU6 and Go Bar. If you have the means to spend the extra shekels and definitely want to max out on quality below 1k then the Gold Bar may be a very good option. If you're sold on the dongle idea of course as that kind of money would also bring very good DAPs with added functionality into view.

drftr

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #41,047 of 89,875
sony justear (only the MH2 preset tuning models and other preset specialized version) actually is also offered in china, hong kong SAR and taiwan too. it's a small independent project of its own of some sort funded by Sony when it started out in 2015. as it became more and more popular, the brand was merged back to sony's corporate umbrella (probably sometimes around 2018 - and they start to put sony logo on the metal faceplate :sweat: ). there's some material change (like the soft silicon tip now become hard acrylic same as the whole shell and the choice to have 4.4mm cable) along the long life cycle but seems there's no major change to sonic performace, as justear's core idea is about tuning.

it's a great sounding IEM and the three preset tunning are really quite different. i got the listening model about 2 years ago and still love it. the new japanese club model also sounds great with bass impact no less than XE6 or legend EVO.

a lot of people (including mine) also love their tailored tuning versions for famous artists (and for their player or market too). i missed the LiSA tuning model but is longing to see Nagaya Haruko version to come out. :relaxed: beware though most of these artists in fact using fitear ciem for their professional performance . . .

many considered the MH1 the holy grail of CIEM as Tonohiro Matsuo san (the creator of justear) himself will go through your preference will you through listening to a suite of your own music and tailored made your CIEM according to your preference! that requires two personal visit to their tokyo store in person i believe so it's really rare to see. but quite a few hkers (japanese speaking of coz) shared their ordering experience before. for those who can read chinese, you may see more details here https://post76.hk/thread-243033-1-1.html
334 is legendary, at least in my part of the world, undisputed best for vocals, even up till today

I've heard that you can send back your fitear after some years to get a SR upgrade, which stands for studio reference I think

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #41,048 of 89,875
Watercooler Top 3 Yankee Thanksgiving Weekend Poll

Question: What 3 IEMs most own your heart right now (today, not necessarily "all time")?

Xe6 x11
Jewel x8
Traillii x8

Softears Turii Ti x4
Mentor x4
IER Z1R x3
Annihilator x2
Diva x2
Fourté Blanc x2
PHöNIX x2
LCDi4 x2
EXT x2
Kublai Khan x2
EVO x2
Supermoon x2

FIBAE7U
Viking Ragnar
Gaea
Dorado 2020
Kr5
OH5
radius HP-W300
Sennheiser IE 100 PRO
Mest MKii
VE7
Dark Sky
Nanna
S8
Red Halo
Sharona
Trio
Elysium
Solaris
Thunder
TG334
Indigo
Fourte
Zen Pro
Mezzo
Fibae 5
Serial
XM4
Trifecta
Odin
Phonix
Traillii
Trio

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #41,049 of 89,875
A few pages back I wrote I sold U12t because I was disappointed in its dynamics. It would have helped if I had Precog's ears but I didn't have them handy. It proves the theme song of this very thread "Everybody hears things differently" by J. Rockwell.

drftr

One of my resolutions heading in to 2023 will be to never bring up dynamics or the u12t again.

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #41,050 of 89,875
All about IEMs but what are your favourite DAPs?

Favourite DAPs for me this year are AK SP3000 & iBasso DX320 EX. :)
I can't compare to the AK or iBasso, but for me the LPGT is by far the best DAP I know. It is as close as I have heard it to a higher end neutral desktop source. The only two things I would like to see improved is for it to have a higher power output and a native way to stream Tidal. That would make for my perfect DAP.

The Shanling M8 has however consistently surprised me and I use it a lot. It does not sound as good as the LPGT and is not a neutral source, but it is amazing how much power it produces and how clean it is even at Turbo Gain. Although not neutral, it is a very good (fun) sounding DAP.

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #41,051 of 89,875
I can't compare to the AK or iBasso, but for me the LPGT is by far the best DAP I know. It is as close as I have heard it to a higher end neutral desktop source. The only two things I would like to see improved is for it to have a higher power output and a native way to stream Tidal. That would make for my perfect DAP.

The Shanling M8 has however consistently surprised me and I use it a lot. It does not sound as good as the LPGT and is not a neutral source, but it is amazing how much power it produces and how clean it is even at Turbo Gain. Although not neutral, it is a very good (fun) sounding DAP.
Are you still using Dream XLS and VE5? Or have you moved on or perhaps expanded? I'm mostly (but never exclusively) fishing for classical music repro ideas here. Tnx...

drftr

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #41,053 of 89,875
So I tried Subtonic Storm today.....

and now on the waiting list....... :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

Bye Mentor....... Bye Traillii........

These are the Days of our Lives...

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #41,055 of 89,875

Users who are viewing this thread

Back