The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 8, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #39,586 of 90,104
Where's the Odyssey hype? Is it going to knock Mentor off its perch or what?
Enjoying both silently :beyersmile:
I know you meant to “do not eat!”, but they look like candies to me!
64 dehumidifiers are the best imo, small and compact.
What tips you are using for Odyssey? I tried W1 yesterday and boom, a lot of bass, high and treble a bit lesser than Final Type E. I put back Final type E which less bass but better for high and treble.
I too went back to Final e tips. Those narrow bores are the best suited for EE BCDs imo. Might not be the most comfortable and definitely not my preference, but I have to say I can't find a better match with Ody.

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #39,587 of 90,104
It's not selling through CFA directly it's being sold through their distributors and as of a couple weeks ago anyway all the distributors I am aware of were out of pre-orders. He's quite right that there are 333 of them but the question of how many of those are currently spoken for is another matter. This IEM was announced last spring and was supposed to ship in the summer.
Ya that's such an odd response from them my original question was based on purchasing one... It's like I'm emailing a bot, I'm not trying to be disrespectful but just like you explained to me I feel it should of been part of his response to my questions. Also you might be able to purchase one from Europe, https://headphone.shop/product/campfire-audio-trifecta/

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #39,588 of 90,104
+1 on Kr5. It's my favourite of the Fir lineup. I have the Fir stuff on tour in the US right now (but that probably doesn't interest you). I have the EXT & Phonix available and could most likely send them to you if you want to hear them and can cover the shipping. I will have the Mentor, Diva & Gaea and also the Turii Ti and Twilight available for tour in the US in the new year if you are interested.

Congrats on getting your SM. Apparently better isolation is the exact reason one would choose the artist fit (quieter on a noisy stage). Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the sound.

I heard the Kr5 at Socal and was mightily impressed, first time I had listened to its product.

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #39,589 of 90,104
Ya that's such an odd response from them my original question was based on purchasing one... It's like I'm emailing a bot, I'm not trying to be disrespectful but just like you explained to me I feel it should of been part of his response to my questions. Also you might be able to purchase one from Europe, https://headphone.shop/product/campfire-audio-trifecta/

There was a special release blue edition in Germany available a couple weeks ago...I had a hot flash of temptation but came to my senses. It's just no something I can afford to pay MSRP for but I am keen to get one so will play the waiting game as I know a good deal on a used one will come up eventually.

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #39,590 of 90,104
I heard the Kr5 at Socal and was mightily impressed, first time I had listened to its product.

Kr5 is a sterling example of what you can get from a good DD with some BCD action on top.

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #39,591 of 90,104
+1 on Kr5. It's my favourite of the Fir lineup. I have the Fir stuff on tour in the US right now (but that probably doesn't interest you). I have the EXT & Phonix available and could most likely send them to you if you want to hear them and can cover the shipping. I will have the Mentor, Diva & Gaea and also the Turii Ti and Twilight available for tour in the US in the new year if you are interested.

Congrats on getting your SM. Apparently better isolation is the exact reason one would choose the artist fit (quieter on a noisy stage). Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the sound.

I appreciate the offer! I'm interested in Mentor, Diva and Gaea. I've heard EXT and Phonix, Phonix was spectacular and worthy of being near the top of everyone's list. EXT was also very good and had those trademark lifelike VE vocals that no one else has. Is there a thread or list

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #39,592 of 90,104
Phonix was spectacular and worthy of being near the top of everyone's list.

Lol you should hear Mentor-- it takes an essentially Phonix-like tuning and adds some summit-fi BCD on top. If you like Phonix Mentor will positively blow your mind. Some of the best mids out there right now.

The tour thread is here.

I just got the Mentor et all and will be running them through my Canadian group before sending them down to the US. EA is apparently sending me a second Gaea tour unit that I will start off in the US rather soon. Reply to the post above that you're interested and when the times comes you'll be notified. Cheers.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #39,594 of 90,104
Nov 8, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #39,595 of 90,104
There, I did it...

The offer remains valid until this Sunday. After that I will close down the ad and focus on enjoying them instead and building up the rest of my chain around them 🥰

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/🤑pd🤑-64audio-u18t.35204/

drftr
In my recent sales of extra IEMs/headphones, I was selling at 1/3 of what I paid for a fast sale.

Guess your story will be: How I learned to stop nitkpicking and love the U18t.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #39,598 of 90,104
There's 3 things that keep me from doing that:

1. I would have to pay a lot of extra money for my next IEM that can only be marginally better.
2. I don't have an income.
3. I think it's an absurd strategy 😎

drftr
Lesson learned is:

1. Buy used
2. Only restrict yourself to those "Lexus" IEMs with higher used value.

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #39,599 of 90,104
Lesson learned is:

1. Buy used
2. Only restrict yourself to those "Lexus" IEMs with higher used value.
Buying used is almost impossible price-wise as anywhere I have to ship would add $100-$150 for shipping + at least 20% for VAT. That makes them as expensive as buying new ones. VAT heavens are only the US and Hong Kong AFAIK. The first one I can't get into at all and the second one only with a 3 day quarantaine plus daily testing for a week. Not worth it.

The Lexus argument is a very good one but unfortunately I happen to have a taste that is not main stream. That severely limits choices.

drftr

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #39,600 of 90,104
Buying used is almost impossible price-wise as anywhere I have to ship would add $100-$150 for shipping + at least 20% for VAT. That makes them as expensive as buying new ones. VAT heavens are only the US and Hong Kong AFAIK. The first one I can't get into at all and the second one only with a 3 day quarantaine plus daily testing for a week. Not worth it.

The Lexus argument is a very good one but unfortunately I happen to have a taste that is not main stream. That severely limits choices.

drftr
Yeah, the famous VAT in Europe, among other things I really hated when traveling in EU, such as pay for restroom visit.

BTW, we do have sales tax in most states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back