The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 7, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #37,351 of 90,563
I find the Supermoon uppermids too ethereal, if I am to put it nicely since this is a preference thing. I remember you share the same thoughts with the Viking (uppermids being too much) so the SM could be the same in this regard. It's really a shame because I enjoyed everything else about the SM, particularly the bass and imaging.

Perhaps the CM version is slightly different or maybe I just have more sensitive hearing in the upper regions.

Did you play around at all with settings/EQ with your 1ZM2? SM is quite responsive to EQ.

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #37,354 of 90,563
I find the Supermoon uppermids too ethereal, if I am to put it nicely since this is a preference thing. I remember you share the same thoughts with the Viking (uppermids being too much) so the SM could be the same in this regard. It's really a shame because I enjoyed everything else about the SM, particularly the bass and imaging.

Perhaps the CM version is slightly different or maybe I just have more sensitive hearing in the upper regions.

I've put about ~8 hours of listening between yesterday and today on the CIEM Supermoon, and the more I've listened to it, the more the difference is obvious to me (from memory a few weeks ago) versus the universal. The CIEM sounds more bodied in the mids, but still leans on the ethereal side for upper mids and treble. The CIEM seems to have a bit more treble energy though as well versus the universal however, which was the first thing I noticed out of the box. To me, CIEM > universal for sure by this point because I felt a good chunk of midrange was fairly light bodied to me on the universal.

With that said, I doubt the difference would be enough for people on the fence with this IEM though. This is no Phonix or XE6 when it comes to note weight.

As for Viking Ragnar, I had more trouble with its upper frequencies than the Supermoon for sure when I demo'd it. Supermoon treble and upper mids are still within a tolerable amount for me even on the CIEM.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #37,355 of 90,563
I've put about ~8 hours of listening between yesterday and today on the CIEM Supermoon, and the more I've listened to it, the more the difference is obvious to me (from memory a few weeks ago) versus the universal. The CIEM sounds more bodied in the mids, but still leans on the ethereal side for upper mids and treble. The CIEM seems to have a bit more treble energy though as well versus the universal however, which was the first thing I noticed out of the box. To me, CIEM > universal for sure by this point because I felt a good chunk of midrange was fairly light bodied to me on the universal.

With that said, I doubt the difference would be enough for people on the fence with this IEM though. This is no Phonix or XE6 when it comes to note weight.

As for Viking Ragnar, I had more trouble with its upper frequencies than the Supermoon for sure when I demo'd it. Supermoon treble and upper mids are still within a tolerable amount for me even on the CIEM.
Also remember you have the artist fit, which according to Campfire is slightly brighter in the treble vs the audiophile fit.

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #37,356 of 90,563
Also remember you have the artist fit, which according to Campfire is slightly brighter in the treble vs the audiophile fit.

Yup I have the artist fit and Chris from CFA did say that it would have a bit more of a higher frequency emphasis versus audiophile fit, but not by much. There's a bigger difference in sound between CIEM and universal than there is between the two CIEM stem lengths according to Chris. This make sense because I noticed my artist fit stem length is already shorter than the stems on other CIEMs I own (e.g. XE6). So, I expect a small difference in length for the stems between artist fit and audiophile CIEMs and in turn little difference in sound between the two different CIEM fits.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #37,357 of 90,563
Yup I have the artist fit and Chris from CFA did say that it would have a bit more of a higher frequency emphasis versus audiophile fit, not by much. There's a bigger difference in sound between CIEM and universal than there is between the two CIEM stem lengths according to Chris. This make sense because I noticed my artist fit stem length is already shorter than the stems on other CIEMs I own (e.g. XE6). So, I expect a small difference in length for the stems between artist fit and audiophile CIEMs and in turn little difference in sound between two fits.
I'm sure it's not a massive difference, and I still contend the CIEM is the true reflection of how SM was tuned. There are too many differences and variables with the uni, and at this level even a minor change makes a big difference. I'm not saying the CIEM suddenly transforms the Supermoon, but I feel that's the optimal version, if that makes sense, and not just from a comfort perspective.

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #37,358 of 90,563
Which IEM do you think is the best bang for the buck in 2022?
You can pay attention to Solaris OG if you need an inexpensive option - they are available for $ 600 in the aftermarket. Or CA's recent hit Supermoon. Or UM Mest 2.
If we're talking about Sony's aftermarket budget.

As for the price of their new ones - it is not so far from the price of Traillii in the aftermarket. So I would stock up and buy the best.

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #37,359 of 90,563
…and what should I say about the now defunct Calyx company that released one of the most controversial but fantastic sounding DAP ever. My M (android 4, but OLED screen) still get lot of love, especially with the Jewel and the C9. One sole effort from Calyx, but hey, legendary homerun from a pure sound perspective

E1FB9968-6DC1-476C-82D7-1AE7BA739FA0.jpeg
This design and sound is really interesting.
It's not quite my thing and in the end their first player wasn't a hit, but it had a lot of interesting solutions.
If it wasn't so slow I might buy it again. Its volume control is pure magic.

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #37,360 of 90,563
No, I like it naked as well 😊 I do have the Visoflex 2, need it to focus the Nokton 50mm f1.0 and also the close focusing with a couple of Voigtlander lenses.

Here’s mine with the EVF:

F3C3DB93-A7BD-41D8-A1BD-94D7E4589C6C.jpeg
I don't know anything about it, but I'm a simple person. I see a nice case - I like it))

Oct 7, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #37,361 of 90,563
Traillii and Jewel being shipped off today - can't deny some sense of sorrow, but still happy with my decision.
You break my heart. How can you sell friends?)

Oct 7, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #37,362 of 90,563
Oct 7, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #37,363 of 90,563
UM & QDC is from China as well. Many high end stuffs are from China.
I would say more.
Now the vast majority of brands are either from China. And those that are not, have a Chinese production.
Therefore, it is rare to find non-Chinese companies now.

But that doesn't make all these brands Chi-fi. This term usually refers to cheap "killers" of everything and everyone. But mostly money in the card)

Oct 7, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #37,364 of 90,563
Oct 7, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #37,365 of 90,563
This is the first AMT iem I ever owned, circa 2017.
Obravo eamt-1c
Obravo 01.jpg
I still have them now.
IMG_20220914_225005-01.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back