The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 2, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #36,976 of 89,874
Odyssey vs Viking Ragnar vs Multiverse Mentor?

They're all very different-- what sort of metric do you want compared with them?

For example on a scale of reference -> musical I'd personally place them as follows.

Jewel > Ragnar > Traillii > Mentor > Odyssey

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #36,977 of 89,874
Your wording is confusing me here. Mentor does have great clarity, detail, and resolution. It is just slightly warmer in overall tone relative to Traillii. Again I’m going from memory though. I’m sure there are people who can answer this better than have spent time with both, it’s been a year since I had the Traillii.
Now I get it. I thought that being warmer, Mentor was less clear and vivid than Traillii. I listened to UM MKII and remember it was a warm and harmonious sound, with a good body. But she lost a lot of clarity, sharpness, compared to Traillii. It seemed as if there was a large cloth between the orchestra and the listener. A veil that made him lose his reality.

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #36,979 of 89,874
Now I get it. I thought that being warmer, Mentor was less clear and vivid than Traillii. I listened to UM MKII and remember it was a warm and harmonious sound, with a good body. But she lost a lot of clarity, sharpness, compared to Traillii. It seemed as if there was a large cloth between the orchestra and the listener. A veil that made him lose his reality.

If you’re looking for that sort of brighter and crystal clear sound then I feel something like Jewel is more along those lines than Mentor or Traillii.

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #36,980 of 89,874
They're all very different-- what sort of metric do you want compared with them?

For example on a scale of reference -> musical I'd personally place them as follows.

By eye ..... it seems that your ranking goes from the iem that sounds clearer and more vivid (preference for the high range ..... and upper midrange) and ends with a softer sounding iem with a more low range. present compared to the top 3 of your ranking.

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #36,981 of 89,874
Ragnar is the clearest, sharpest and most vivid of the bunch.

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #36,982 of 89,874

I agree with this.

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #36,983 of 89,874
I think FOR ME, jewel has a slight excess in the high and mid-high range compared to Traillii which I find a little more balanced. I really like Traillii. To make it "perfect" to MY way of listening, I would like (starting from Traillii) a little more low range (I really like the ISA one to make you understand ....). And I'd like Traillii with a little more midrange body. Without upsetting anything else.

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #36,986 of 89,874
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #36,987 of 89,874
By eye ..... it seems that your ranking goes from the iem that sounds clearer and more vivid (preference for the high range ..... and upper midrange) and ends with a softer sounding iem with a more low range. present compared to the top 3 of your ranking.

It varies. Jewel is quintessentially balanced-- bass, mids and treble are all in their individual glory as much as I've heard on an IEM. Ragnar continues with a subdued bass response (possibly just a bit more) but places more emphasis on the upper mids and highs. Traillii tones down the upper mids and adds more bass (which I instinctively associate with musicality. Mentor has more of an obvious bass emphasis but with still very present and clear mids. Odyssey is the darkest IEM of the bunch. That's about all I can say from memory at the point and I stand to be corrected on anything. In general you are quite right that an increase in bass presence is often correlates strongly with a perception of musicality.

Edit btw I meant no "value judgement" above when I ranked the IEMs from musical to reference-- I was not implying that any of them are objectively better or worse than any other-- I was just placing them on a spectrum that might make it easier for some to decide which one is for them.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #36,988 of 89,874
Edit btw I meant no "value judgement" above when I ranked the IEMs from musical to reference-- I was not implying that any of them are objectively better or worse than any other-- I was just placing them on a spectrum that might make it easier for some to decide which one is for them.

I read it as a spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back