The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 2, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #37,006 of 91,354
I did not hear it that way , but again it's been a while since I had the Mellianus and tested the Trailli for only 2 hours.
For me there was no contest between the Mellanius and the Traillii. If you did not hear it that way almost immediately, either the fit was not good for you ( might be tip dependent for you ), or the Traillii is not your cup of tea. No issue there, something better will always come along.

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #37,007 of 91,354
I did not hear it that way , but again it's been a while since I had the Mellianus and tested the Trailli for only 2 hours.

I wasn't implying they sounded the same-- I just mean that the Mellianus was their flagship and presumably the extent of what they felt they could do with an all BA IEM. It made sense then that afterwards they started messing around with e-stats and the result was their next flagship-- in effect a followup to the 'Anus-- the Traillii.

If you want a strict followup in terms of a better all BA IEM from them I'm not sure what they could do. I finally got to hear the Mellianus at CanJam and I quite liked it-- it's very similar to the Aroma Ace-- but the Bird is a whole other level imho...I'm not sure what else you can really do with just BAs. I hope personally that Oriolus tries a single planar-- maybe this could be the followup you are seeking.

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #37,008 of 91,354
Let's finish the pre-orders first, then we may have a tour. Currently, you can contact Andrew to schedule a private audition, he has a demo.
@UniqueMelody, hi hi, I have sent in a request for a faceplate design for Mentor Multiverse. Some of my friends have expressed an interest in this design as well. I’d be grateful if you could look into it soon. Happy to discuss more via pm. Thank you! 🤗

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #37,009 of 91,354
Stumbled upon this album this weekend. Sublime piano, choir, and strings. Reminds me of 80's Windham Hill records.

Got the album playing on repeat while catching up with the latest cooler topics!
81Buiew6DuL._SL1400_.jpg

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #37,010 of 91,354
I wasn't implying they sounded the same-- I just mean that the Mellianus was their flagship and presumably the extent of what they felt they could do with an all BA IEM. It made sense then that afterwards they started messing around with e-stats and the result was their next flagship-- in effect a followup to the 'Anus-- the Traillii.

If you want a strict followup in terms of a better all BA IEM from them I'm not sure what they could do. I finally got to hear the Mellianus at CanJam and I quite liked it-- it's very similar to the Aroma Ace-- but the Bird is a whole other level imho...I'm not sure what else you can really do with just BAs. I hope personally that Oriolus tries a single planar-- maybe this could be the followup you are seeking.

In addition to e-stat, I think Oriolus figured out the BA bass for Traillii. The bass department is very different from their previous line-up (at least from 2018 Mk2 and later that I know of).

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #37,011 of 91,354
I posted the tour list for the Fir Frontier kit in the US and the Lime Ears kit about to go across Canada.
If you're eligible for one of the tours and interested in participating get in touch with me and follow then procedure of page one of the tour thread.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #37,012 of 91,354
@Rockwell75 is definitely our resident Canadian tour lead. He's already got a robust process to ensure all goes smoothly. Would love a chance to try out UM's flagships including the Multiverse Mentor.

If we manage to secure a UM tour kit we can start that tour out east for a change.

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #37,013 of 91,354
Begging for honest reactions here: Am I crazy trying to find a good cable match for the U18t which will probably cost me over 1k, when that gets my total cost so close to for instance a MM with a healthy discount? First and foremost I need to like how an IEM sounds of course; especially since many seem to have quite the bass shelf, too upfront upper mids, or a very spicy treble, all of which I'd rather not have. Wondering whether I might be better off not looking for a cable upgrade for the U18t but swapping the whole package since all IEMs that are not called Jewel seem to come with a very decent stock cable already.

drftr

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #37,014 of 91,354
Begging for honest reactions here: Am I crazy trying to find a good cable match for the U18t which will probably cost me over 1k, when that gets my total cost so close to for instance a MM with a healthy discount? First and foremost I need to like how an IEM sounds of course; especially since many seem to have quite the bass shelf, too upfront upper mids, or a very spicy treble, all of which I'd rather not have. Wondering whether I might be better off not looking for a cable upgrade for the U18t but swapping the whole package since all IEMs that are not called Jewel seem to come with a very decent stock cable already.

drftr

PW 1950s was the best cable I ever heard with the A18t when I had it.

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #37,015 of 91,354

drftr
Did you already look into the 1950s clone situation?

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #37,017 of 91,354
Did you already look into the 1950s clone situation?
Yes, I've had a few PMs with our doctor but I want to demo the original first. If it's not a match I like then I don't like it for half the price either (although it certainly gets less painful!). I can demo PWA in Seoul next week.

drftr

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #37,018 of 91,354

drftr
It seems from your posts that you're trying to finalize your IEM selection. What are your shortlists so far?

I've been getting into cable rolling recently. So far, I am finding that if it there's a significant mismatch sonically it's better to look for another IEM. Transducers should come first, then DAPs, experiementing with tips, then cables last.

An example of situation that would warrant a tweak would be: Darkening the signature for EE Odin bringing the upper mids down, bringing down the treble energy lower the Viking Ragnar etc.

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #37,019 of 91,354
It seems from your posts that you're trying to finalize your IEM selection. What are your shortlists so far?

I've been getting into cable rolling recently. So far, I am finding that if it there's a significant mismatch sonically it's better to look for another IEM. Transducers should come first, then DAPs, experiementing with tips, then cables last.

An example of situation that would warrant a tweak would be: Darkening the signature for EE Odin bringing the upper mids down, bringing down the treble energy lower the Viking Ragnar etc.
I managed to demo 20+ IEMs about 2 months ago and settled on the U18t as it was the least offensive to my liking and both the easiest and cheapest to "fix" with cable rolling. However, I didn't get my hands on for instance any FiR Frontier IEMs, nor on the latest updates from some other major brands. I got the U18t at a very good price but if I end up investing 1.5k for a cable then I'm getting so close to a different level of IEMs that I started to wonder whether that was the better way to go. I don't need or even want a different IEM if a good cable adds what I'm looking for in the low end and mids (think chocolate, butter) which at the same time should take out some of the brightness psycho-acoustically. Being on the road permanently I have a rather short window for decisions coming up and I'm trying to pick up some general wisdom and guidance here. Important is that I don't need better or more expensive or new or whatever, so if I find something that I like better that is even older and uglier than the U18t - the last being a rather hardcore challenge - then I'm all for it.

drftr

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #37,020 of 91,354
I managed to demo 20+ IEMs about 2 months ago and settled on the U18t as it was the least offensive to my liking and both the easiest and cheapest to "fix" with cable rolling. However, I didn't get my hands on for instance any FiR Frontier IEMs, nor on the latest updates from some other major brands. I got the U18t at a very good price but if I end up investing 1.5k for a cable then I'm getting so close to a different level of IEMs that I started to wonder whether that was the better way to go. I don't need or even want a different IEM if a good cable adds what I'm looking for in the low end and mids (think chocolate, butter) which at the same time should take out some of the brightness psycho-acoustically. Being on the road permanently I have a rather short window for decisions coming up and I'm trying to pick up some general wisdom and guidance here. Important is that I don't need better or more expensive or new or whatever, so if I find something that I like better that is even older and uglier than the U18t - the last being a rather hardcore challenge - then I'm all for it.

drftr

Based on what I know of your tastes and the trajectory of your journey I'd be less surprised if the sun and moon suddenly switched positions than if you decided to go with one of the Frontier series IEMs. I look forward to your thoughts either way. What are you slated to hear in the next couple days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back