The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 21, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #35,701 of 91,357
This is the de facto number one criteria for any IEM to be a true knockout. If it can do this then nothing else-- not price, not driver count, not anything-- matters.

Yep, 100% - and price often doesn't even matter... my poolside choice on my last day of a much needed holiday. I revisited a 90's favourite and loved every minute on the relatively inexpensive ZX300 and P1 Max.

20220921_162859.jpg

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #35,702 of 91,357
Yea, I should probably stop even lurking here... So much talk about stuff I will never afford (or want to pay for), and then as I try to pull away, I fail. Fatfreq maestro mini has just been ordered, and probably going to pull the trigger on an ifi gryphon here shortly. But then Im done, for real this time. Right?

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #35,703 of 91,357
Yea, I should probably stop even lurking here... So much talk about stuff I will never afford (or want to pay for), and then as I try to pull away, I fail. Fatfreq maestro mini has just been ordered, and probably going to pull the trigger on an ifi gryphon here shortly. But then Im done, for real this time. Right?
Who did you order the Maestro Mini from?

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #35,704 of 91,357
Hiss is evil. Hush is the word, frankly silent, black, 0 noise floor is the goal
This is why I use iFi iEmatch.
But, there is an opinion that together with noise reduction, it reduces dynamics, etc. However, this usually happens with those sources that have greater dynamics at a higher gain level.

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #35,705 of 91,357
@Amadeo Nospherathu Every single time I see you post I tell myself to look up when I was actually in Ternopil. Finally did it: October 2020. Completely irrelevant but that's how my braincell works!

Didn't see you around though...

drftr
Wow, good to you was here! How do you like this small cozy town?)
It's a pity that we didn't see each other. Let me know if there is such an opportunity next time, I will be glad to meet you)

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #35,706 of 91,357
Who did you order the Maestro Mini from?
Direct from fatfreq. I think I saw someone in the forums here who ordered from them directly to the US, and I chatted with them briefly on their site and they confirmed the same. I imagine since they are just shipping via DHL that Canada would likely be available as well.

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #35,707 of 91,357
But then Im done, for real this time. Right?
Don't even think. There is nothing more temporary than "this time for sure"))

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #35,708 of 91,357
Hello everyone the Fir Frontier series tour kit that recently finished the Canadian tour is about to embark on a little US tour. So far I recall interest from:

1) @jwilliamhurst (CA)
2) @stacey (CA)
3) @gnahra (FL)
4) @CL14715 (ATL)
5) @rantng (NY)
5) @jaker782 (pending info)

Is there anyone I missed? Or is there anyone else interested?

The guidelines are listed on the first page of this thread. You can keep the kit for a week with an option to extend if circumstances demand it.

The tour kit is presently with @discord and will start in CA with @jwilliamhurst and on to @stacey.

I shipped the FiR tour kit to @jwilliamhurst this morning.

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #35,710 of 91,357
I absolutely concur. The vocals on the Viking Ragnar are on point. Simply ethereal. This IEM is a winner and it is in the same bracket as the Jewel & Traillii which is a feat. To everyone, forget the GT600, Supermoon & Odyssey. Get the Viking Ragnar. Never been so excited about an IEM since the Jewel & Traillii in which both went on to become crowd favourite elite tier IEMs. The Viking Ragnar is the latest big winner.
I bought the Ragnar and I am buying Odyssey. I heard them both side by side. I prefer the Odyssey because of the W9+ drivers and the DD timbre that it delivers. However, there is no question that Ragnar is at the level of Jewel and Traillii. I know because I a/b/c tested them one night during CanJam Socal. I loved the Ragnar with Jazz and Vocals. I loved the Odyssey with everything. For CanJam Socal, the Odyssey was my best in show. Ragnar was a close second.

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #35,711 of 91,357
Just received the First Times Shielding today. Needs break-in but first impressions right out of the box are extremely impressive. I dare say on Orpheus level of abilities, micro details, stage and control, with a tuning somewhere inbetwen Orphy and Centurion, leaning closer to Orphy. I have no idea what the shielding is doing, but this sounds quite a bit better than the standard First Times. Like a lot.

Full review to follow soon, stay tuned folks.

20220921_152921-01.jpeg
I completely agree which I why I bought First Times Shielding.

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #35,713 of 91,357
Even still if you've got a thing for bass it's by no means clear that any of Jewel, Traillii or Ragnar are for you. I love the Trailli and Ragnar, but none of them can compete with Odyssey when it comes to bass. I appreciate your enthusiasm but when you talk in a haughty tone that suggests you know what's best for everyone it just makes people want to reach for the ignore button.
I am not disagreeing with your overall point. Only the first sentence about bass. If you prefer what I will call more accurate bass ( matching that of a high end 2 channel system or live music ) I felt the Traillii superior to all of the EE line ( I have not heard the Odyssey yet ). I do like EE, but I keep reading you and others call out bass and wanted to share my thoughts on that one point.

Now I will go back to listen to some Apple AirPods and Bluetooth speakers!!! By the way I may write-up a brief review of some Bluetooth speakers as I needed to purchase some over the summer for outdoor parties.

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #35,714 of 91,357
To each his/her own. I don't like to sugar coat stuffs.
Just wish there was more substance to your statements. They seem to lack detail or sonic observations, perhaps specific tracks or something we could all maybe get value from. How did you audition; with what source with what music with the stock cable or multiple cables. How does this set differ from others that some people like what is it similar to and why.

Just the fact that you are promoting a set as the end all above everything else and we should just take your word for it is annoying.

Also acknowledgement that it is just your opinion and not the gospel fact. Your proclamation is not enough.

It does take courage to listen to and acknowledge constructive criticism.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #35,715 of 91,357
I think similar projects like the 8-wire Plato x Socrates were around $1,500 or so. Socrates being a little cheaper than Plato would take a virtual Socrates x Socrates below $1,300 I would hope.

drftr
I talked to Eric about this at CanJam. He’s thinking ~$1,300 for the new Socrates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back