The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 21, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #35,686 of 91,345
The guy sit next to @Rockwell75 in arc'teryx shell reminds me lots of Asian customers who bought those expensive gears designed for alpine climbing during winter and only wear them in the urban setting.
Well, he can afford it and it's convenient. So it might look that way, but in the end it just might be convenient)

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #35,687 of 91,345
Forgot to add that if one is willing to go all out. :)

I was the first to praise Jewel as an elite tier IEM and many audiophiles have doubts about my statement. Look at the Jewel's status now. :)
I did not agree with you on Jewell found it nice but boring, amazing how we can have different tastes. And hated the stock cable the thought of paying that much then having to upgrade the cable was just a bridge to far for me. I demoed the set stock and Chiron.

The suggestion that Ragnar based on comments sits between Jewell and Traillii probably means a pass for me. 1) I do not need a better Traillii and 2) I found Jewell boring. The Ragnar though does seem like it comes with a worth the time cable that I could just use and be happy with.

I do plan on giving it a listen and then I can see if it creates magic and makes me want to listen to all my favorite music again.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #35,689 of 91,345
Just received the First Times Shielding today. Needs break-in but first impressions right out of the box are extremely impressive. I dare say on Orpheus level of abilities, micro details, stage and control, with a tuning somewhere inbetwen Orphy and Centurion, leaning closer to Orphy. I have no idea what the shielding is doing, but this sounds quite a bit better than the standard First Times. Like a lot.

Full review to follow soon, stay tuned folks.

20220921_152921-01.jpeg

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #35,690 of 91,345
I can see if it creates magic and makes me want to listen to all my favorite music again.

This is the de facto number one criteria for any IEM to be a true knockout. If it can do this then nothing else-- not price, not driver count, not anything-- matters.

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #35,691 of 91,345
I tested low gain vs high gain last night and couldn't hear any difference. I consider that a luxury nowadays. Perhaps my U18t is simply not power hungry enough for the RU6 to make the differences audible, so it could be very different for others. Also (not sure if it would matter) I used 3.5mm.
On the one hand, this indicates that your source has really good sound quality from this output. And it does not depend on the level of gain. On the other hand, your IEMs are sensitive enough that they don't need high power.

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #35,692 of 91,345
Just received the First Times Shielding today. Needs break-in but first impressions right out of the box are extremely impressive. I dare say on Orpheus level of abilities, micro details, stage and control, with a tuning somewhere inbetwen Orphy and Centurion, leaning closer to Orphy. I have no idea what the shielding is doing, but this sounds quite a bit better than the standard First Times. Like a lot.

Full review to follow soon, stay tuned folks.

20220921_152921-01.jpeg
I agree! I really would like to know what the shielding design does to change the characteristics. It just makes FT more dynamic, and actually adds depth to the soundstage, to my ears at least.
IMG-0956.jpg

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #35,693 of 91,345
3 years ago I was about to start climbing a still snow-covered volcano on Hokkaido and at the bottom met a group of 10 or so climbers from Shanghai dressed as if they were going to scale Mt. Everest. They were wearing gear that would have survived that mountain, they were all interconnected with climbing ropes, had their ice axes in hand, etcetera. The only thing is that they didn't have bottled oxygen with them, nor 20 porters. Me: Low Scarpa approach shoes, Fjallraven Summer pants, a t-shirt, my cap, and my 15 liter daypack with 3 liters of water and a roll of biscuits. I said hello, then goodbye, and hiked up often with the snow reaching my knees. I do admit I was slightly underdressed, but after spending 15 or so minutes on the top eating my cookies and getting friggin' cold I hiked back down and to my surprise I met them again while they were still about 25% below the top. I thought they had run into some problem at the bottom and had never started their hike! So yeah, having all the money and gear in the world certainly has its charms, but it doesn't necessarily make you enjoy any more than people with a less fat wallet.

Of course the link with high-end portable gear is easily made here. Cheers to everyone who thoroughly enjoys their music on $50 IEMs! 👍
I guess they just didn't know how to use it all. The high price of many things is focused on convenience and certain features of use that make them better. So when they put on all that gear, I guess they just didn't know what to do next))

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #35,694 of 91,345
On the one hand, this indicates that your source has really good sound quality from this output. And it does not depend on the level of gain. On the other hand, your IEMs are sensitive enough that they don't need high power.
I re-read @twister6 review of the RU6 today though and he picked up hiss on the U18t when using high gain. Perhaps I should double-check with a silent track. Not that hiss is bad by itself but if it's just below an audible level for me I think it could still influence for instance high frequencies. I take it if you stack inaudible details on inaudible details at some point they do come through. Will check it out.

drftr

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #35,695 of 91,345
Supermoon is still my favorite IEM and I've heard pretty much everything of note that's out there right now. I'm not saying it's "the best" or that everyone will love it...but for me, it's still number one. YMMV etc.
It's just that CA managed to prepare a planar so that you don't have to remember that it's a planar and you can just enjoy the sound. Even if the collection already has IEMs that can sound much better.

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #35,696 of 91,345
I re-read @twister6 review of the RU6 today though and he picked up hiss on the U18t when using high gain. Perhaps I should double-check with a silent track. Not that hiss is bad by itself but if it's just below an audible level for me I think it could still influence for instance high frequencies. I take it if you stack inaudible details on inaudible details at some point they do come through. Will check it out.

drftr
Hiss affects the dynamic range, the depth of the scene and the quality of the transmission of small details. But needless to say, these are the details that will not be noticeable in every composition. So when listening to, say, a compact, warm recording with vocals and simple accompaniment, I don't think the hiss will make much of a difference, as the ear just adapts to it.

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #35,697 of 91,345
Well, he can afford it and it's convenient. So it might look that way, but in the end it just might be convenient)
I live in Rome and I use an arcteryx shell during winter on rainy days and it's very useful, but yes it's not definitely been designed to being used in a town

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #35,698 of 91,345
Hiss is evil. Hush is the word, frankly silent, black, 0 noise floor is the goal

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #35,700 of 91,345
This is the de facto number one criteria for any IEM to be a true knockout. If it can do this then nothing else-- not price, not driver count, not anything-- matters.
This. 100%. If the sound of the music doesn't move you, everything else is irrelevant. Doesn't matter how "good" it is in your eyes, but if it is, good for you then! No judgement, but big bold statements on which IEM does it better won't land you any points with the folks here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back