THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 13, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #286 of 949
I honestly do not know.

I can say that I am happy with the Bluetti AC 180. More than sufficient for my needs. I am much happier being off AC Mains.
I assume if you have a device like my Yggdrasil DAC that needs to be left powered on all the time to sound its best, this battery-powered solution wouldn’t work. If I leave the Bluetti plugged into the wall all day when I’m not listening to music, will the Yggy be causing the battery to constantly be in use, or is there an AC passthrough mode that bypasses the battery completely?

May 13, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #287 of 949
for those using Puritan blocks, did u ground them? what happens if you don't?

May 13, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #288 of 949
I assume if you have a device like my Yggdrasil DAC that needs to be left powered on all the time to sound its best, this battery-powered solution wouldn’t work. If I leave the Bluetti plugged into the wall all day when I’m not listening to music, will the Yggy be causing the battery to constantly be in use, or is there an AC passthrough mode that bypasses the battery completely?
Ah, that is a really great question. This thread is already doing the devil's work, making me consider spending money on things I hadn't thought of in the past! Shoot, I've already found motivation to potentially rework my entire system and posted the one of a kind Calderas in the classifieds.

I'm really interested in that battery option, for both potential upgrades in sound quality and because my wife is not loving the power cables running to the power strip. Hmmm! Dac warm up for the Merason Dac 1 is something I hadn't thought about...

May 13, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #289 of 949
Ah, that is a really great question. This thread is already doing the devil's work, making me consider spending money on things I hadn't thought of in the past! Shoot, I've already found motivation to potentially rework my entire system and posted the one of a kind Calderas in the classifieds.

I'm really interested in that battery option, for both potential upgrades in sound quality and because my wife is not loving the power cables running to the power strip. Hmmm! Dac warm up for the Merason Dac 1 is something I hadn't thought about...
The Merason should be up to speed in under an hour. I usually let my system warm up for an hour or two prior to listening.
As far as r2r dacs go, I give the same warm up time to the Pontus 2 12th as well, but I'm probably leaving money on the table doing that.

You can use it while it's charging, so in theory it can be on continously, just not too sure that's a safe option.

May 14, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #290 of 949
The Merason should be up to speed in under an hour. I usually let my system warm up for an hour or two prior to listening.
As far as r2r dacs go, I give the same warm up time to the Pontus 2 12th as well, but I'm probably leaving money on the table doing that.

You can use it while it's charging, so in theory it can be on continously, just not too sure that's a safe option.
In that case, I’ll just stick to plugging my Yggy into the wall. Saved me some money! Thanks!

May 14, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #291 of 949

I could charge it on a Friday while I watch some tv with the wife, and that should keep me good to go for the whole week...

May 14, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #292 of 949
May 14, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #293 of 949
Here’s an odd one. Lol

Been making a few headphone cables just cause I’m bored and wanted to see if there are audible differences between different cable.

What I did find is that the biggest audible difference is using a 1/8” to 1/4” stereo jack adaptor.
I measured resistance and capacitance and things really don’t change but the sound changes.

The adaptor make the soundstage seem further out and not in your head so much. Like you applied a touch of crossfeed.
This isn’t a joke.

I didn’t find any audible differences in wire at all really. And maybe some slight differences in connectors.

But that’s it. The adaptor really made a difference. I don’t know why it does that, but when I asked on another forum, someone did tell me that Tyll Herstens once said he measured added crossfeed or something. So if that is true my observation is correct.

Just wonder if anyone else has noticed that.

May 14, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #294 of 949
May 14, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #295 of 949
May 14, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #296 of 949
How would you say your Viva compares to the WA33 with the Atrium Open, Atrium Closed, Caldera Open, Verite Open and Susvara?
Viva takes the crown all day. Best amp by far. It doesn't care what you connect to it. It just plays. If I ever sell all my gear, it will be the last to go. Expensive as hell, but worth every penny. WA33 by comparison sounds sterile. Looking to replace the 33 with a decware combo. To me the 33 doesn't sound like a tube amp. It's so clear there is no romantic nature to it. I've tried it with multiple high end sources and steamers.

To some that would be a compliment, but to me it defeats the reason for a tube amp.

Just my $0.02

Seriously tho, if you get the chance to demo a Viva egoista 845, do it. It's a beast.

May 14, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #298 of 949
for those using Puritan blocks, did u ground them? what happens if you don't?
I haven't. I've got zero noise so don't see the need for any additional grounding. I use UK plugs so I think by design they're grounded as is. I did see Puritan do a grounding block but none of my devices have a grounding point built in so that combined with UK plugs mean it's not an avenue I'll go down.

May 14, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #299 of 949
I haven't. I've got zero noise so don't see the need for any additional grounding. I use UK plugs so I think by design they're grounded as is. I did see Puritan do a grounding block but none of my devices have a grounding point built in so that combined with UK plugs mean it's not an avenue I'll go down.

Thanks! that was useful info. my country uses UK plugs at the wall too. good to know no issues without dedicated grounding of the unit.

May 14, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #300 of 949
Just got the Sony NW-WM1ZM2 at many good Head-Fi friends' recommendation.

Other than a gorgeous presentation all the IEMs I've tried it with today, I found it also has a wonderful synergy with the very easy to drive Audio-Technica ATH-AWKG. Following in the footsteps of @HiFiHawaii808 and @Zachik 's reports earlier in this thread, these headphones are a good match to a good DAP. With this one, it's a wonderful synergy. The 1Z offers a bit of extra space and openness coupled with great definition, whiich works very well with these warm headphones (in their ZMF pad configuration):

Congrats eyal! I really like it paring with my fei wan. This combo let me decide to own 1 iem for my portable listening at work. It showed me how good the fei wan’s bass weight and texture is which i couldn’t hear it with chord hugo 2 before.

Attachments

• IMG_4376.jpeg
    IMG_4376.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back