THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 14, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #301 of 967
It’s super obvious. You can hear it easily.

I'm not doubting that. I'm simply trying to identify the most plausible cause for that.

You said above that the cable measured similarly, both with and without the adapter. Okay, so now let's look at the source. What source are you using, that has both 3.5 mm and 6.35 mm TRS jacks, wired up to the same amplification stages?

My zen can Signature as an amp, benchmark DAC3 from laptop.
It’s the same with my Marantz headphone amp as well.

To the best of my knowledge, neither the Benchmark DAC 3, nor the Zen Can Signature, nor the Marantz HD-DAC1 has a 3.5mm TRS jack. So how are you audibly comparing the presence/absence of the 6.35 mm adapter, using the same signal chain for both, with only the presence/absence of the 6.35 mm adapter being the differing factor?

May 14, 2024 at 2:06 AM Post #302 of 967
Viva takes the crown all day. Best amp by far. It doesn't care what you connect to it. It just plays. If I ever sell all my gear, it will be the last to go. Expensive as hell, but worth every penny. WA33 by comparison sounds sterile. Looking to replace the 33 with a decware combo. To me the 33 doesn't sound like a tube amp. It's so clear there is no romantic nature to it. I've tried it with multiple high end sources and steamers.

To some that would be a compliment, but to me it defeats the reason for a tube amp.

Just my $0.02

Seriously tho, if you get the chance to demo a Viva egoista 845, do it. It's a beast.
Thanks for the update. I was interested in your take as you also own the WA33. I have heard the Viva a few times now and I use Viva on my 2-channel system. Thanks for your update.

May 14, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #303 of 967
No problem.

Btw if you’re into vintage jazz, Valkyria is the perfect choice for that. It adds the much needed weight for old jazz recordings and it sort of breathes a new life into my vintage jazz library.
Hi @normie610
Is Valkyria a download site? I don't quite get it.

May 14, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #304 of 967
May 14, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #306 of 967
Empyreans were one of my favourite with its musicality and timbre. I let them go as they weren’t as technically capable as the Utopia and LCD5, with the microdetail and staging. But the Empyrean timbre - I’ve been searching for something that sounds like them since.

Seems like @Sajid Amit agrees with you?

May 14, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #307 of 967
Hey everyone, this is my first post in this thread, and I'd like to share some impressions from the Highend Munich show.

Disclaimer: Listening to headphones and IEMs in show conditions isn't very meaningful. There's too much rotation and noise, and things that have an immediate wow-effect often don't hold up in long listening sessions. Conversely, things that don't initially impress can reveal their potential in a home environment over time. For instance, I would have never bought my beloved YH5000 if I had only heard it at a show. Additionally, we all listen to different genres and focus on different elements in the music, so these impressions are highly subjective and personal. That's why I also keep the impressions very short so people do not interprete too much into it.

1715672469806.png

ZMF Caldera Closed

Similar to the Caldera Open, but with elevated bass. The bass quality is excellent with great texture. However, the slight metallic timbre is as present as in the Caldera Open, which was the reason I sold it.

Raal Immanis & Magna
I had high expectations but was disappointed. Despite their great resolution and bass and special sauce, they did sound very artifical for me, I’d say even incoherent although they just have one driver. I expected so much more.

CFA Bonnville
The bass is very present and balanced by elevated treble, which is quite clean. Good one!

CFA Fathom
The mids had an off tonality and sounded quirky. I did not like it at all. The mid-bass was also bloated, if I recall correctly.

CFA Moon Rover
The best of the CFA lineup for me. It is neutrally tuned but not boring.

A&K Novus
The bass was very bloated with no treble to balance it out. It sounded horrible to me. So horrible, I am not even sure if I was hearing it correctly. Maybe don’t take this impression seriously.

A&K SP3KT
I wanted to check this one for hissing, but the noisy environment made it impossible.

Diana MR&DZ
They did not impress me. They traded tonality for resolution, which some may appreciate, but it lacked the special quality of the Abyss house sound which is dictated by the 1266 for me. But I am very sure it will appeal a lot of people and I think the DZ it is a great addition to the line-up.

Stax X1000
A new tuning approach from Stax, quite neutral with a good amount of bass. It will appeal to many as an entry-level Stax headphone. I liked it, but after listening to the L700 and L500, I knew what I was missing. The tonality change traded some of the typical Stax transparency, crispiness, and texture. Something in between would be my favorite. I'd like to hear it again at home. Stax offers an unbeatable price/performance ratio.

1715672541963.png

Hifiman Arya Organic
Revisiting after the last Highend, I liked it as much as before. It is a great headphone with nice bass and treble sparkle, mildly V-shaped with mostly no annoying peaks. I need to get this one for further evaluation.

Hifiman Shangri-La Mini
Incredible price/performance ratio. Nicely balanced with neutral bass and some treble elevation, reminiscent of the Susvara. However, it missed the last detail compared to the Susvara, but not by a large margin. This will be an easy recommendation for a lot of people.

Soundz Flame and Avant
I had never heard of them before, but the Flame seems hyped. I did not like either. The treble was not clean, and the bass bled into the mids. Didn’t work with my preferences. But you could tell from the people and build quality, these guys know what they are doing. The build quality was superb.

Final X8000 Prototype
A fresh new tuning that sounds extremely clear and detailed with bass presence. However, it lacks any warmth, and the treble was often over the top for me. Still, it sounds really good, one of the best headphones I've heard. I hope they tame the treble a bit. The prototype had over-ear pads, but I can't imagine how it will work as an on-ear. This will be for sure kind of a game changer in the TOTL market.

AA Composer
Having had it at home, it was the most boring headphone I've ever heard. However, at the show, the bass was outstanding, and the mids were estat-like. I don't know if I had a faulty unit or if it was due to different volume levels at the show. It sounded really good to me. I used my own DAP to drive it, so no source changes. However the AA staff was annoying, very sales driven as the promoter in the corresponding head-fi thread. Which is definitely a reason not to evaluate this headphone again for me.

FIIO FA19
Very natural sounding! The bass had the typical BA timbre. Overall, it did not wow me but could be a good IEM for long listening sessions and will appeal a lot of people!

OAE1
Sounded totally off to me. The mids and treble were quirky, and my favorite tracks sounded different in a bad way. I am also sure half the people will wear it on the wrongly. This was kind of an experience as the AK Novus. Sounded so bad, that I was not sure if I was hearing it correctly. Let’s wait for the mass reviews.

Fostex HP V8
I liked how it looked in pictures, but seeing it in person, this beast is absolutely stunning. What a beauty!

TOTL+ Class:

Hifiman Shangri-La Snr.
A great headphone, but with some sibilance. Like the HE-1 and Aperio, it can make voices sound angelic. However, it is my least favorite of the three.

Sennheiser HE-1
I visited in the morning to avoid long waits. It sounds as described in many reviews: emotional, with present bass, estat speed, and resolution. However, it wasn't the ultimate headphone for me on first listen. The tuning might be beneficial for long-term listening, so I can't fully judge it. I noticed a treble peak that made claps sound unnatural. I don't see any similarity between the Meze Empy II and the HE-1, despite some internet comparisons.

WW Aperio
Revisiting after the last Highend, it remains my absolute favorite headphone. Everything sounds incredible, with the best vocals I've ever heard. The bass is present and deep but not as prominent as on the HE-1, as the mids are the star. However, with more critical listening, the treble could be a bit over the top at times. The black version looks fantastic, and the team is great!

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #308 of 967
I'm not doubting that. I'm simply trying to identify the most plausible cause for that.

You said above that the cable measured similarly, both with and without the adapter. Okay, so now let's look at the source. What source are you using, that has both 3.5 mm and 6.35 mm TRS jacks, wired up to the same amplification stages?

To the best of my knowledge, neither the Benchmark DAC 3, nor the Zen Can Signature, nor the Marantz HD-DAC1 has a 3.5mm TRS jack. So how are you audibly comparing the presence/absence of the 6.35 mm adapter, using the same signal chain for both, with only the presence/absence of the 6.35 mm adapter being the differing factor?

Good question.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear. Pardon for that.

I have two cables made with the same wire.
One cable has Neutrik mini XLR and a Neutrik 1/8” plug and adaptor to 1/4”
The other has a Neutrik mini XLR and Neutrik 1/4” plug

All connectors are made of the same material.

So the differing factor is one cable has the extra adaptor on it.

Hope that makes more sense.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #309 of 967
May 14, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #310 of 967

Ah, okay that makes so much more sense! 🤣

I can't say that I've ever noticed that before, but then again I've never tested for that either. I don't think that I have a 3.5 mm and a 6.35 mm version of the same cable laying around... but if I find one in storage somewhere, I'll give that a listen.

May 14, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #311 of 967
Raal Immanis & Magna
I had high expectations but was disappointed. Despite their great resolution and bass and special sauce, they did sound very artifical for me, I’d say even incoherent although they just have one driver. I expected so much more.
An interesting take. It shows that people hear things differently. Btw, Magna has 2 ribbon drivers and Immanis has 3, not one. Or perhaps what you mean is one type of driver?

May 14, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #312 of 967
Congrats eyal! I really like it paring with my fei wan. This combo let me decide to own 1 iem for my portable listening at work. It showed me how good the fei wan’s bass weight and texture is which i couldn’t hear it with chord hugo 2 before.

Thanks. Very happy after my firsy day with it! 🙏❤️

Hey everyone, this is my first post in this thread, and I'd like to share some impressions from the Highend Munich show.

Disclaimer: Listening to headphones and IEMs in show conditions isn't very meaningful. There's too much rotation and noise, and things that have an immediate wow-effect often don't hold up in long listening sessions. Conversely, things that don't initially impress can reveal their potential in a home environment over time. For instance, I would have never bought my beloved YH5000 if I had only heard it at a show. Additionally, we all listen to different genres and focus on different elements in the music, so these impressions are highly subjective and personal. That's why I also keep the impressions very short so people do not interprete too much into it.

1715672469806.png
ZMF Caldera Closed

Similar to the Caldera Open, but with elevated bass. The bass quality is excellent with great texture. However, the slight metallic timbre is as present as in the Caldera Open, which was the reason I sold it.

Raal Immanis & Magna

CFA Bonnville
The bass is very present and balanced by elevated treble, which is quite clean. Good one!

CFA Fathom
The mids had an off tonality and sounded quirky. I did not like it at all. The mid-bass was also bloated, if I recall correctly.

CFA Moon Rover
The best of the CFA lineup for me. It is neutrally tuned but not boring.

A&K Novus
The bass was very bloated with no treble to balance it out. It sounded horrible to me. So horrible, I am not even sure if I was hearing it correctly. Maybe don’t take this impression seriously.

A&K SP3KT
I wanted to check this one for hissing, but the noisy environment made it impossible.

Diana MR&DZ
They did not impress me. They traded tonality for resolution, which some may appreciate, but it lacked the special quality of the Abyss house sound which is dictated by the 1266 for me. But I am very sure it will appeal a lot of people and I think the DZ it is a great addition to the line-up.

Stax X1000
A new tuning approach from Stax, quite neutral with a good amount of bass. It will appeal to many as an entry-level Stax headphone. I liked it, but after listening to the L700 and L500, I knew what I was missing. The tonality change traded some of the typical Stax transparency, crispiness, and texture. Something in between would be my favorite. I'd like to hear it again at home. Stax offers an unbeatable price/performance ratio.

1715672541963.png

Hifiman Arya Organic
Revisiting after the last Highend, I liked it as much as before. It is a great headphone with nice bass and treble sparkle, mildly V-shaped with mostly no annoying peaks. I need to get this one for further evaluation.

Hifiman Shangri-La Mini
Incredible price/performance ratio. Nicely balanced with neutral bass and some treble elevation, reminiscent of the Susvara. However, it missed the last detail compared to the Susvara, but not by a large margin. This will be an easy recommendation for a lot of people.

Soundz Flame and Avant
I had never heard of them before, but the Flame seems hyped. I did not like either. The treble was not clean, and the bass bled into the mids. Didn’t work with my preferences. But you could tell from the people and build quality, these guys know what they are doing. The build quality was superb.

Final X8000 Prototype
A fresh new tuning that sounds extremely clear and detailed with bass presence. However, it lacks any warmth, and the treble was often over the top for me. Still, it sounds really good, one of the best headphones I've heard. I hope they tame the treble a bit. The prototype had over-ear pads, but I can't imagine how it will work as an on-ear. This will be for sure kind of a game changer in the TOTL market.

AA Composer
Having had it at home, it was the most boring headphone I've ever heard. However, at the show, the bass was outstanding, and the mids were estat-like. I don't know if I had a faulty unit or if it was due to different volume levels at the show. It sounded really good to me. I used my own DAP to drive it, so no source changes. However the AA staff was annoying, very sales driven as the promoter in the corresponding head-fi thread. Which is definitely a reason not to evaluate this headphone again for me.

FIIO FA19
Very natural sounding! The bass had the typical BA timbre. Overall, it did not wow me but could be a good IEM for long listening sessions and will appeal a lot of people!

OAE1
Sounded totally off to me. The mids and treble were quirky, and my favorite tracks sounded different in a bad way. I am also sure half the people will wear it on the wrongly. This was kind of an experience as the AK Novus. Sounded so bad, that I was not sure if I was hearing it correctly. Let’s wait for the mass reviews.

Fostex HP V8
I liked how it looked in pictures, but seeing it in person, this beast is absolutely stunning. What a beauty!

TOTL+ Class:

Hifiman Shangri-La Snr.
A great headphone, but with some sibilance. Like the HE-1 and Aperio, it can make voices sound angelic. However, it is my least favorite of the three.

Sennheiser HE-1
I visited in the morning to avoid long waits. It sounds as described in many reviews: emotional, with present bass, estat speed, and resolution. However, it wasn't the ultimate headphone for me on first listen. The tuning might be beneficial for long-term listening, so I can't fully judge it. I noticed a treble peak that made claps sound unnatural. I don't see any similarity between the Meze Empy II and the HE-1, despite some internet comparisons.

WW Aperio
Revisiting after the last Highend, it remains my absolute favorite headphone. Everything sounds incredible, with the best vocals I've ever heard. The bass is present and deep but not as prominent as on the HE-1, as the mids are the star. However, with more critical listening, the treble could be a bit over the top at times. The black version looks fantastic, and the team is great!

Great writeup. Thanks for sharing!!

May 14, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #313 of 967
An interesting take. It shows that people hear things differently. Btw, Magna has 2 ribbon drivers and Immanis has 3, not one. Or perhaps what you mean is one type of driver?
Yes exactly, I menat one type of driver.

May 14, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #314 of 967
Ok let’s just put the battery power station to rest cause there’s more to consider. Again, I have my eco flow 3600 for outages for home, not for audio. The fan is quiet when charging. Each of these units have cycle lifespans with total power diminishing after every cycle. These units demand at least once a quarter to be drained from max 85% fill to no lower than 25% then fill back to 85%. That represents one cycle per quarter if you don’t use it. For continuous use isn’t exactly how these things were designed for. But in my case eco flow does have thousands and thousands of cycles, some companies less.
Sooo do what you do but realize dirty power can be corrected by other means and most in western markets don’t have dirty power anyway.

May 14, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #315 of 967
Good question.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear. Pardon for that.

Hope that makes more sense.

Are you sure you don’t have a bad adapter ?

Out of curiosity I searched and pulled up an old post from 2009 where a guy measured signals through a variety of cable lengths with and without adapters and a the difference between a six foot length of cable and two three foot lengths with a connector joining them to a total six foot length was 0.005db. Worst case with any configuration was 0.03db which was equivalent to 0.1% difference.

I have in the past set up a test with a standard cable and the same cable plugged into a series of adapters up and down for a total of five additional connections that were easy to remove quickly for a simple A/B test and it made no obvious audible difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back