THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 12, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #151 of 821
I have to say, even with different headphones, that I felt the improvement over MScaler was easily noticeable.
Can you tell us more about what improvements you heard in the Quartet over the Mscaler? TIA!

May 12, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #153 of 821
So I did actually find a way to pre-order the OAE1. Heard some great impressions and some terrible ones. Alex Grell does promise very high standards regarding the tolerances, each signature unit is measured individually, something Sennheiser also does for example. I would love to know specifics about these tolerances. There will be measuring sheets in the package. Now the anxious waiting begins...

May 12, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #154 of 821
4 million!
IMG_2510.jpeg

May 12, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #155 of 821
Whoa, is it worth the upgrade? I have TT2 and Mscaler. I love the combo and how it stacks.
I am upgrading without a doubt. I was really blown away. Transients were so effortless that while listening to Kraftwerk it almost sounded like each element had its own transducer/driver. No overlapping, no fighting, natural clarity. It just sounded right !!!

May 12, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #157 of 821
I am upgrading without a doubt. I was really blown away. Transients were so effortless that while listening to Kraftwerk it almost sounded like each element had its own transducer/driver. No overlapping, no fighting, natural clarity. It just sounded right !!!
Hope to hear it in London.

May 12, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #158 of 821
Have to do some catchup work today and this old favorite jazz album is wonderful backgorund listen on this rainy day in NYC. I've owned this CD since it was released 30 years ago. A very intimate duo recording made in Italy, with Lee Konitz on sax and local pianist Renato Sellani. A very quiet and nuanced recording by two musicians who listen to each other, made for a quiet moment in the day...

1715541191719.png

May 12, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #159 of 821
Sunday Sundae, perhaps today is a MDR Z1R day. I won’t forget Zeos calling this headphone an ice cream truck on the racing track, handing out ice cream to the spectators 😂

IMG_0147.jpeg

May 12, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #160 of 821
I really want to try a home demo these 2 hp to see how they are different than sus and 1266tc. For those folks who already listened both, which one is close to susvara or they are both totally different sound signature ?

Attachments

• IMG_4549.jpeg
    IMG_4549.jpeg
    916.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4550.jpeg
    IMG_4550.jpeg
    876.8 KB · Views: 0
May 12, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #161 of 821
I really want to try a home demo these 2 hp to see how they are different than sus and 1266tc. For those folks who already listened both, which one is close to susvara or they are both totally different sound signature ?
I don't have much experience with the Susvara, but the Valkyria is its own animal and sounds nothing like the Immanis or 1266TC. Or anything else I've heard for that matter. Based on my very brief Susvara demos (like 10 minutes at a time at CanJam & meets), there is very little overlap between the Sus and the Valkyria--the Immanis is the more similar to the Sus of the two. The Immanis, to my ears, has similar bass extension to the 1266, fuller midrange, better timbre, and slightly superior speed and resolution. I'm still not sure which has more slam--need more time to assess.

May 12, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #162 of 821

I've demo-ed both at the recent CanJam NYC (my detailed notes).

The Immanis was absolutely a show hightlight. It was nothing short of incredible, demo conditions and all. I've arranged for a home demo, but learned last week that a recent shipmetn of theirs got detroyed and so they're in shortage of units worldwide, struggling to fulfill purchased orders. I do hope to get to try it in my home system in the coming weeks 🤞. At the show, I found them just steller. Top estat level resolution and outstanding imaging, and yet offering a natural timbre. I'm cautious of making quick judgment based on hearing exciting new heapdhones in show conditions but, at the moment, they sounded like a great blend of Susvara's speed and timbre with estat speed and resolution.

I've also demoed the Valkyria. I've never managed to connect with them and tried them again, this time on the new Headamp CFA3 (to be released). Theses headphones have many fans, but I still can't connect with their presentation. Female vocals sound great on it, but the bass and lower mids are tune a little off to my taste, sometimes sounding good, sometimes not so much. They aren't technically complete as Susvara. That said, some folks really love them. I know @number1sixerfan has them (or had them recently) and likes them alot, perhaps he can share more insight.

(I also concur with @Hiker816 inputs above)

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #163 of 821
I don't have much experience with the Susvara, but the Valkyria is its own animal and sounds nothing like the Immanis or 1266TC. Or anything else I've heard for that matter. Based on my very brief Susvara demos (like 10 minutes at a time at CanJam & meets), there is very little overlap between the Sus and the Valkyria--the Immanis is the more similar to the Sus of the two. The Immanis, to my ears, has similar bass extension to the 1266, fuller midrange, better timbre, and slightly superior speed and resolution. I'm still not sure which has more slam--need more time to assess.
🙏 thanks, yeah im interested to try a different hp than sus sound signature so i might looking for a pair of valkyria to listen. That would be excited.

May 12, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #164 of 821
I've demo-ed both at the recent CanJam NYC (my detailed notes).

The Immanis was absolutely a show hightlight. It was nothing short of incredible, demo conditions and all. I've arranged for a home demo, but learned last week that a recent shipmetn of theirs got detroyed and so they're in shortage of units worldwide, struggling to fulfill purchased orders. I do hope to get to try it in my home system in the coming weeks 🤞. At the show, I found them just steller. Top estat level resolution and outstanding imaging, and yet offering a natural timbre. I'm cautious of making quick judgment based on hearing exciting new heapdhones in show conditions but, at the moment, they sounded like a great blend of Susvara's speed and timbre with estat speed and resolution.

I've also demoed the Valkyria. I've never managed to connect with them and tried them again, this time on the new Headamp CFA3 (to be released). Theses headphones have many fans, but I still can't connect with their presentation. Female vocals sound great on it, but the bass and lower mids are tune a little off to my taste, sometimes sounding good, sometimes not so much. They aren't technically complete as Susvara. That said, some folks really love them. I know @number1sixerfan has them (or had them recently) and likes them alot, perhaps he can share more insight.

(I also concure with @Hiker816 inputs above)
What amp did u demo it? Maybe pairing with aic 10 will bring a better result ?😉

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #165 of 821
I have not tried the Immanis but I have tested the Torinos several times and the Susvara. In last CanJam I kept coming back to test the Torinos 3-4 times. The best I have heard them was with the Viva Egoista 2A3, which I also tested the Susvara and the Tungsten at the same time. I kept the Torinos in my head really liked the sound. Susvara sounded incredible but different, but I am more familiar with the Hifiman house sound and the Spirit Torino sounded quite different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back