THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 26, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #811 of 1,581
Yes I got those pads directly from Kennerton. Maybe they just don’t synergize well with DAP’s. I thought they sounded better with a desktop.
Did you have a bass version or neutral version?
Cause, you know, bass version with ECL-03 MF one of the most dynamic headphones with strong elevated bass that I heard in the market.
Though you need to put smth like 1+ Watts into it to sound good, so in my case DX320 and DX320 MAX TI worked well, Cayin N8ii not so good for example.

May 26, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #812 of 1,581
Did you have a bass version or neutral version?
Cause, you know, bass version with ECL-03 MF one of the most dynamic headphones with strong elevated bass that I heard in the market.
Though you need to put smth like 1+ Watts into it to sound good, so in my case DX320 and DX320 MAX TI worked well, Cayin N8ii not so good for example.
I’m pretty sure it was the neutral version because it had almost no bass at all. That’s why I got the other pads but it didn’t help. I would love to try the bass version. But I never dared to buy another one because it’s hard to know which version it is. And I haven’t found one I can try at canjam.

May 26, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #813 of 1,581
I’m pretty sure it was the neutral version because it had almost no bass at all. That’s why I got the other pads but it didn’t help. I would love to try the bass version. But I never dared to buy another one because it’s hard to know which version it is. And I haven’t found one I can try at canjam.
There is a big difference between two versions in terms of air movement (besides tuning difference which is also huge, keep this in mind).
Neutral version has a silicon tube inside which bass version doesn’t have at all - hope you’ll be able to audition it somewhere.
While I know guys who liked the neutral version more in the end, so this is a matter of preference, both versions are great headphones in my opinion 🙂

And the pads changes sound the most drastic way - from super air with fully perforated ones to bass monster that rattle your skull with sub bass with fully solid ones.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #814 of 1,581
That’s a wonderful write up, very well said! Thanks for sharing!!! 🙏

Wonderful chain you got. I have the Bricasti M3 and have wondered what a step up to the M21 may be like.

Be warned, it’s a beast.. but it’s a lovely on 😁
M3 to M21 is not insignificant. DS implementation alone is a reasonable jump up IMO and R2R brings a whole other flavour to the table. Used prices make it far more attractive than new. I'd say if you already like M3 then swapping out to M21 is a great choice. I also particularly like M21's own volume for a little extra tuning with Envy rather than running DAC direct out.

I'd say I use mine 90% of the time with ladder / minimum phase and DS / Linear for the rest. The filters on M21 also seem to have more impact than on M3.

Currently enjoying AES the most but I'll be having a proper sit down with AES vs glass tomorrow along with re-evaluation of RB vs SACD through it.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #815 of 1,581
There is a big difference between two versions in terms of air movement (besides tuning difference which is also huge, keep this in mind).
Neutral version has a silicon tube inside which bass version doesn’t have at all - hope you’ll be able to audition it somewhere.
While I know guys who liked the neutral version more in the end, so this is a matter of preference, both versions are great headphones in my opinion 🙂

And the pads changes sound the most drastic way - from super air with fully perforated ones to bass monster that rattle your skull with sub bass with fully solid ones.
Definitely interested to hear the bass version with solid pads.

May 26, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #816 of 1,581
Here are some more details:
  • 8k USD target price
  • Susvara will likely remain (at current price as well)
  • The new headphone will slot above Susvara with a different name (eg Nirvana)
It’s pretty exciting from what I’ve heard🫢 Wonder how fast reviews come in, maybe immediately after potential embargo ends?

May 26, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #817 of 1,581
I'm a latecomer to HQPlayer (just lazy I guess), but wow, I'm glad I decided to try it out. Detail, timbre, soundstage, transients, and the variations available are impressive, to say the least.
unnamed (9).jpg

May 26, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #818 of 1,581
I'm a latecomer to HQPlayer (just lazy I guess), but wow, I'm glad I decided to try it out. Detail, timbre, soundstage, transients, and the variations available are impressive, to say the least.
Try dsd1024 with holo may. Best experience ive tried. Not many dac can do dsd1024 even high end one. But u need a beefy pc to handle it.

May 26, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #819 of 1,581
They do scale, as many planars do, with some great desktop amps. They don't require a log of power, but they sound quite a lot better with powerful amps.
Yeah I was hoping that my new L&P E7 would have enough juice for the Rognir. No dice... Sounds like crap compared to my main rig. However I'm in process of building a whammy so I can use the E7 to the little whammy as much more portable setup around the house lol.

May 26, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #820 of 1,581
The regular Susvara is already pretty dear at its MSRP. Going for $8K is insane IMO, but I’m sure some will pay it.
$6000 in 2017 is $7800 now adjusting for inflation.
In other words, it's the same price Susvara was when it came out, and Susvara has gotten cheaper.

Try dsd1024 with holo may. Best experience ive tried. Not many dac can do dsd1024 even high end one. But u need a beefy pc to handle it.
On most DACs there's a sweet spot for DSD and above that performance actually gets worse FYI.

On Holo Cyan 2 that sweet spot is DSD256. I think it's also 256 on May, possibly 512. 1024 very likely has worse performance, you may want to try dropping down.
Plus it's less effort on your PC so playback doesn't take as long.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #821 of 1,581
Final reminder to vote for our first WC HE thread poll. 24 in, we already have 95 votes!!!

If you haven’t voted yet, join the fun and participate in the Watercooler Headphone Edition's first poll:

https://forms.gle/LUbE8rM6zxgq9XZL8

I will close the poll tomorrow evening (a long holiday weekend in the US) and public here the results this week! (looks super interesting so far…😉)

Hi everyone,

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

We are finally kicking off our very first Watercooler Headphone Edition Poll ‼️

The purpose is to have some fun together, gauging and sharing what everyone is currently interested in or excited about 😊

Please enter your replies here: https://forms.gle/LUbE8rM6zxgq9XZL8

I will collect all answers over the coming days and share back your polls results here in the thread!

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Eyal

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #822 of 1,581
Time permitting, I am planning to (finally!!!) check out HQplayer tomorrow.
@briantrinh86 any idea what could one expect to achieve from mac mini M2 or M2 Pro?
IF I can hear a noticeable improvement - I am willing to invest in M2 or M2 Pro mac mini... currently using NUC with 8th gen i7 processor.

May 26, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #823 of 1,581
Mac mini m2 or m2 pro can handle dsd256 easily especially Mac is very quiet than most pc so it’s an advantage to have less noise . But it still choke on dsd512 and up. u will need a core i9 plus good memory card to handle smoothly dsd512. Even im using core i9 13900k still couldn’t process some modulators and filters combination.

May 26, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #824 of 1,581
Here are some more details:
  • 8k USD target price
  • Susvara will likely remain (at current price as well)
  • The new headphone will slot above Susvara with a different name (eg Nirvana)
There is nothing price wise between the HEK SE and Susvara, the list might stay where it is but I think even more "open box" ones will be going out at ~$3800 since the demand is going to drop quite a bit. In a year they will probably drop to $3k for good. That is good for new buyers, rough on folks selling - esp the OG 2.5's.

May 26, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #825 of 1,581
On Holo Cyan 2 that sweet spot is DSD256. I think it's also 256 on May, possibly 512. 1024 very likely has worse performance, you may want to try dropping down.
Plus it's less effort on your PC so playback doesn't take as long.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, For me dsd512 is the sweet spot on the may. 1024 is too much to handle even on core i9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back