THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 27, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #841 of 1,584
Why not upscale to PCM 768k or 1.5M? Why DSD?
Lots of dacs won’t do 768 never mind 1.5m never mind whether one can tell the difference. Concerning dsd again if one can here any difference between low or 512. The difference in dac implementation differentiates which one can use, again if one can hear the difference between say chord dacs which convert dsd to pcm, or say playback design which prefers dsd, but really does it matter? Just preferences I think, with placebo.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #842 of 1,584
There is nothing price wise between the HEK SE and Susvara, the list might stay where it is but I think even more "open box" ones will be going out at ~$3800 since the demand is going to drop quite a bit. In a year they will probably drop to $3k for good. That is good for new buyers, rough on folks selling - esp the OG 2.5's.
Eh? There's £2K between HEKSE and Susvara ..

May 27, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #843 of 1,584
There is no Hifiman Model in between those two price wise.

That's what je meant. He didn't say they cost the same

May 27, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #844 of 1,584

I enjoy Laufeys music, though there is a very nuanced take to be made on if she is actually performing jazz or not and if she even knows what Jazz actually is.

I kinda hate this video. Lots of stuff that has now been called jazz for half a century was gate kept out of it when new (rat pack is a great example). Imo, in 15 years, laufey will 100% just be called jazz

May 27, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #845 of 1,584
Screen Shot 2024-05-27 at 6.07.46 AM.png

May 27, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #846 of 1,584
May 27, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #847 of 1,584
So executive stereo emails me back saying he understands my frustration in him refusing a pending order, but in these days of fraud, the only protection extended from Mastercard world elite is when one enters their pin on a terminal. So I phoned Mastercard and they state this is untrue. Policy equally guarantees protection for retail from Cvv or pin. They never heard of an accepted transaction that’s refused because of this.
Just posting this for consumers purchasing from executive stereo and in these times of fraud, the precarious nature of purchasing online, in its many forms.
Just fyi not bummed

May 27, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #848 of 1,584
So executive stereo emails me back saying he understands my frustration in him refusing a pending order, but in these days of fraud, the only protection extended from Mastercard world elite is when one enters their pin on a terminal. So I phoned Mastercard and they state this is untrue. Policy equally guarantees protection for retail from Cvv or pin. They never heard of an accepted transaction that’s refused because of this.
Just posting this for consumers purchasing from executive stereo and in these times of fraud, the precarious nature of purchasing online, in its many forms.
Just fyi not bummed
Well I guess, if they don't want your money... what can you do

On to the next dealer

May 27, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #849 of 1,584
There is no Hifiman Model in between those two price wise.

That's what je meant. He didn't say they cost the same
Mis-read the post.

May 27, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #850 of 1,584
I kinda hate this video. Lots of stuff that has now been called jazz for half a century was gate kept out of it when new (rat pack is a great example). Imo, in 15 years, laufey will 100% just be called jazz
The problem is how she is handling the terminology and how she is marketing her music herself. She created the whole argument. Otherwise this debate would not exist.

May 27, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #851 of 1,584
Yes and no. You’re totally right insofar as a white dude has zero business calling out a woman of color for not being “real jazz.” But in his defense, her version of “jazz” is a nostalgic reference to the watered-down version of pop-jazz sung/played by white appropriators of Black musicians in the mid-twentieth century. It’s a complicated issue without a straightforward answer like “yes, she is playing jazz” or “no, she isn’t.” And I doubt that a headphone forum will be able to capture the important nuances that the subject deserves.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #852 of 1,584
Yes and no. You’re totally right insofar as a white dude has zero business calling out a woman of color for not being “real jazz.” But in his defense, her version of “jazz” is a nostalgic reference to the watered-down version of pop-jazz sung/played by white appropriators of Black musicians in the mid-twentieth century. It’s a complicated issue without a straightforward answer like “yes, she is playing jazz” or “no, she isn’t.” And I doubt that a headphone forum will be able to capture the important nuances that the subject deserves.
I know we probably agree more than disagree on this whole topic, but I have to say that the race card does not really work here, since she is icelandic with chinese roots. She could only have been further away from Jazz roots if she came from the moon.

May 27, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #853 of 1,584
Well everyone can play anything. Nils Landgren is appropriating Larry graham? Beyounce appropriating Dolly Parton? One needs white funk go for it, black country is ok by me.

May 27, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #854 of 1,584
I know we probably agree more than disagree on this whole topic, but I have to say that the race card does not really work here, since she is icelandic with chinese roots. She could only have been further away from Jazz roots if she came from the moon.
Agreed. Of all times to break out the race card, this was a weird one...

May 27, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #855 of 1,584
I don't know anybody that pays list for the Susvara. It's typical in the US anyhow for open box (dealer wants to clear inventory at some profit) at $3800-4200, not the list price. Since the high spending/new toy crowd will go to the new model, the Susvara will end up being dropped in price - it's all over the HFM pricing DNA historically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back