THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 12, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #166 of 863
What amp did u demo it? Your aic 10?

The Immanis I demo-ed with the Raal VM-1a. I was suppsoed to get a home demo after Axpona so test it at home with the AIC10 but, per above, this is now delayed. I did hear other users have tried it with the AIC10 and should sound great. But I can't confim that perosnally yet.

The Valkyria I demo-ed with the Headamp CFA3, a wonderful SS amp that @justin w. have been developing for the past year or two (I used to own a @Dukei built CFA3, they are truly wonderful, powerful amp that offer tremendous resolution and driver control)

May 12, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #167 of 863
🙏 thanks, yeah im interested to try a different hp than sus sound signature so i might looking for a pair of valkyria to listen. That would be excited.
I loooove my Valkyrias. Amazing tonal weight and timbre. Yes, they're tuned a little funky and are better with some music genres than others. But they make every other HP sound like it's holding back a little.

May 12, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #169 of 863
I really want to try a home demo these 2 hp to see how they are different than sus and 1266tc. For those folks who already listened both, which one is close to susvara or they are both totally different sound signature ?
The Imanis is a top HP in my opinion. Its bass, mids, treble and soundstage are all stellar. It will compete with the Sus and the 1266. I kept going back to it at CanJam.

The Valkyria is not a favorite of mine ( unfortunate as I like the designer as a person very much in my limited meetings ). I do not find its bass to have presence, the mids seem a bit off and the timbre is not close to that of the Susvara. Now there are folks that do like it, but I prefer more of a “solid” sound as created by your Susvara and 1266. In some respects it might be described as the opposite in sound from the Sus and 1266. And maybe this is what you are looking for?

May 12, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #170 of 863
Is the valkyria sound dark like lcd 4? I’m really not a fan of the lcd 4 sound sig. i did buy and returned.
I haven't heard the LCD 4 so I can't compare. The Valkyria are on the darker side of neutral, but I don't find it excessive.

May 12, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #171 of 863
I really want to try a home demo these 2 hp to see how they are different than sus and 1266tc. For those folks who already listened both, which one is close to susvara or they are both totally different sound signature ?
As @Hiker816 said, it’s totally different between Susvara and Valkyria. The overall presentation is darker with Valkyria, but it does have more realistic timbre and the notes are very weighty. Piano strikes are the most lifelike I’ve ever heard from a pair of headphones and Valkyria’s strength is really with acoustic music and instruments. I’m still waiting for my Immanis so I can’t comment on the comparison between Immanis and Valkyria.

My above Valkyria impressions are based on the pairing with Primavera amp. The CFA3 isn’t nearly as good as with Primavera for Valkyria (that tube amp is such an impeccable pairing with Valkyria). Please note that I always use my 300B preamp in front of both Primavera and CFA3, so the sound impressions could be a bit different in other setups with similar amps.

May 12, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #172 of 863
I do not think someone can live only with the Valkyria it is more of a very expensive niche headphone to have. At least that is how it sounded to me. What I was very interested in testing in CanJam new York was the least expensive models of Spirit Torino but they had none. It seems kind of odd to me that they do not bring some less expensive ~1500 dls headphones to try. I did test the IEM but that was not of my liking.

May 12, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #173 of 863
Is the valkyria sound dark like lcd 4? I’m really not a fan of the lcd 4 sound sig. i did buy and returned.

I have recently sold my LCD4. I haven't had them side by side but, from memory, I recall the LCD4 as darker

as @normie610 pointed out, the mids are the real star of the Valkyria (btw, I'm dying to try the Primavera one day, not that common in the US.. heard great things about it!)

May 12, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #176 of 863
Wow, thanks folks for all the opinions! In my opinion i think they are both special and have their own unique sound sig that i need to spend time for a demo to see which one will fit my music Library👌🎧
If your library consists of mainly music with lots of sub-bass, then Valkyria won’t be a good fit. It excels with live and acoustic instruments, that’s why it really fits my tastes as I listen to mainly jazz and classical pieces.

May 12, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #177 of 863
We are going to have a Watercooler contingent at CanJam London. I am making tags for those who want one and to participate. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will add you to the list. Originally did this so that we could more easily identify each other. We have a large group in North America and Asia who participate, we are looking to get more European representation.
Yes please! I would love that.

May 12, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #178 of 863
btw, I'm dying to try the Primavera one day, not that common in the US.. heard great things about it!
Perhaps you can try it in CanJam? (don’t know which one though 😁)

May 12, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #179 of 863
If your library consists of mainly music with lots of sub-bass, then Valkyria won’t be a good fit. It excels with live and acoustic instruments, that’s why it really fits my tastes as I listen to mainly jazz and classical pieces.

I don’t listen edm or hiphop alot , my library mostly jazz, acoustic music, classical and some female vocal artists that i will listen with sus, for edm or hiphop i use 1266tc . Surprisingly when i pair 1266 tc with aic 10 it sounds awesome with most genres.

May 12, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #180 of 863

Users who are viewing this thread

Back