The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Oct 4, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #2,371 of 4,701
You can dremel out the back and make the opening much bigger and get rid of all the dampening foam. But be aware that if you do this, you'll run the risk of having no back pressure at all and you might lose all of the bass.

Just one thing to think about.

Yeah, I've factored all that in. Still gameplanning these things, but I'm sure they can sound better.

What aspects are you trying to improve?

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #2,375 of 4,701
Try using the velour HM5 pads, they are bigger than the stock pads and have a thin fabric that goes between the driver and your ear so that could help with the sibilance issue too. The rings are pretty easy to get off the HI-2050 so painting them should be easy.

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #2,376 of 4,701
Try using the velour HM5 pads, they are bigger than the stock pads and have a thin fabric that goes between the driver and your ear so that could help with the sibilance issue too. The rings are pretty easy to get off the HI-2050 so painting them should be easy.

I'll definitely be going for the HM5 pads, but I'm debating whether I should go for velour or pleather at first. Those cups are looking clean though.

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #2,377 of 4,701
What aspects are you trying to improve?

Wanna get some of the sibilance out of the treble and widen the soundstage. Also wanna paint them and replace the pads, but that's the easy part.

Don't forget that sound stage is greatly influenced by treble, so if you reduce treble you lessen the width of the sound stage.

Oct 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #2,380 of 4,701
My thoughts on 'burn-in"...which differ from MANY here (but I am NO expert):

Either your ears become acclimated to the headphones after listening to them for a while (i.e. it is your ears that are doing the 'burn-in'), or alternatively, it could be due to a placebo effect.

The actual sound of the headphones doesn't change.

https://www.google.com/search?q=headphone+burn+in+myth&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:xf_eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #2,384 of 4,701
Drill a nickel sized hole in the Pro 80 cup to find out. Haha (don't do that). It'll likely bring a slightly larger sound stage and a different kind of bass (less punch, but lower Hz sub bass, I would assume) I haven't heard the Pro 80 but that's generally what happens when you go closed to semi-open. (ex. DT770 vs. DT880)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back