The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Sep 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #2,311 of 4,701
I finished my pair this morning, and the memory foam filled HM5 pleathers came in the mail today! WOOT!

Well almost finished, I have to black out "Hi-2050" on the headband parts still. I edited the 3rd photo.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #2,312 of 4,701
Wow that's that turned out well. Nice

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #2,313 of 4,701
I finished my pair this morning, and the memory foam filled HM5 pleathers came in the mail today! WOOT!

Well almost finished, I have to black out "Hi-2050" on the headband parts still. I edited the 3rd photo.

Some wet and dry sandpaper would do the job nicely.

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #2,317 of 4,701
Aliexpress. I'm not in the US.

EDIT: The most terrible thing about it is that I have to go on a trip next wednesday, and won't be back until the 21st. So if they come, I'll probably need to go to the post office to pick up the stuff. The HM5 pads should be coming with it at around the same time.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #2,318 of 4,701
  Aliexpress. I'm not in the US.

EDIT: The most terrible thing about it is that I have to go on a trip next wednesday, and won't be back until the 21st. So if they come, I'll probably need to go to the post office to pick up the stuff. The HM5 pads should be coming with it at around the same time.

The HM5 pads on the 2050's are a must. You forget the headphones are on your head. Insanely comfortable. 

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #2,319 of 4,701
I purchased the TS-662 a while ago. I only used them once, the day I received them just to see if they work fine. I remember that there was nothing special about their sound signature so I just put them away and didn't use them again. Until yesterday night...

When I decided to check my headphone inventory to see if there is something there, that I can dispose of in one way or the other so I'll have less things to pack when I move to a new place. I took out a couple of headphones that I haven't used for a while and started listening, and among them were the TS-662. At first, they sounded hollow, with uncontrolled bass, not much detail and a sound stage that resembled a concert in a cave. When I was almost ready to take them off my head and throw them in a box never to be seen again, I covered them with the palms of my hands thinking that this may affect the sound. And guess what... It did. The echo of the cave was gone and the sound became 3D like where the band is positioned in a small and intimate circle with the listener in the middle. The bass became tighter and punchier, but not elevated and the micro detail became more evident.

I modded the TS-662 by partially sealing the cups, making it semi-open instead of the completely open.

These headphones share the same driver design as the PRO80 and the HI2050 though a bit smaller, 50mm instead of 53. TS-662 has a good driver that needed a different housing to really shine.

Sound signature wise, the TS-662 is a PRO80 with less bass quantity, more forward mids and bigger sound stage.

I think that those headphones have a great potential for DIY.

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #2,320 of 4,701
I purchased the TS-662 a while ago. I only used them once, the day I received them just to see if they work fine. I remember that there was nothing special about their sound signature so I just put them away and didn't use them again. Until yesterday night...

When I decided to check my headphone inventory to see if there is something there, that I can dispose of in one way or the other so I'll have less things to pack when I move to a new place. I took out a couple of headphones that I haven't used for a while and started listening, and among them were the TS-662. At first, they sounded hollow, with uncontrolled bass, not much detail and a sound stage that resembled a concert in a cave. When I was almost ready to take them off my head and throw them in a box never to be seen again, I covered them with the palms of my hands thinking that this may affect the sound. And guess what... It did. The echo of the cave was gone and the sound became 3D like where the band is positioned in a small and intimate circle with the listener in the middle. The bass became tighter and punchier, but not elevated and the micro detail became more evident.

I modded the TS-662 by partially sealing the cups, making it semi-open instead of the completely open.

These headphones share the same driver design as the PRO80 and the HI2050 though a bit smaller, 50mm instead of 53. TS-662 has a good driver that needed a different housing to really shine.

Sound signature wise, the TS-662 is a PRO80 with less bass quantity, more forward mids and bigger sound stage.

I think that those headphones have a great potential for DIY.

Thanks for the tip. I've got my pair thrown away somewhere as well since I was seriously underwhelmed by their sound. Was actually thinking of inserting my Pro80 drivers in them since their housing broke a while ago buy maybe I'll try to make the semi open instead.

What did you use to make make them more closed?

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #2,321 of 4,701
Thanks for the tip. I've got my pair thrown away somewhere as well since I was seriously underwhelmed by their sound. Was actually thinking of inserting my Pro80 drivers in them since their housing broke a while ago buy maybe I'll try to make the semi open instead.

What did you use to make make them more closed?

I used something like Darice or Creatology foam sheets. Took out the metal parts from the cups, cut foam pieces exactly the same size and stuffed them in the metal parts. The foam sheets make a perfect fit. Just don't use the adhesive sheets cause you'll have dust accumulating through the holes on the outside of the cups. 

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #2,322 of 4,701
I used something like Darice or Creatology foam sheets. Took out the metal parts from the cups, cut foam pieces exactly the same size and stuffed them in the metal parts. The foam sheets make a perfect fit. Just don't use the adhesive sheets cause you'll have dust accumulating through the holes on the outside of the cups. 

Thanks, I'll see what I can find over here.

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #2,324 of 4,701
What was the consensus again on those? Leather or velour? They should affect the sound, shouldn't they? Or it's not that much of a difference with open cans?

Velour for overall comfort and best for open cans. Leather for sound isolation and slightly more bass response. But in the end it's down to personal preference. I've got the leather ones on my Pro 80 and will be getting the velour ones for my open cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back