The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Jan 12, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #1,306 of 4,701
  http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gemini-Gemini-DJ-HSR-1000-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones-Black-/360827468984?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item5402fe3cb8&_uhb=1

Same headphone rebranded.

Great, I've forwarded this onto him. And congrats on 1000 posts!

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #1,307 of 4,701
Woohoo finally got the Pro80s. Quite good sounding for the price. Good detail, separation and quite smooth and easy to listen to, the treble is not over the top. The bass is also quite tight considering. So what's not so good in my first impressions. They are nowhere near the sound of my HE500s, TH600s or HD600s in all areas but then again they haven't been burned in (does burn in help?). Also there is in my eyes a bit of veil which sounds like the singer is singing with a cloth over his mouth (I only listened to a couple of songs with male voices). With the fit, they are over the ears for me so push against my ears quite a bit. The cans fully extended seem a bit short for me and my head isnt really big. They are my gripes. I'll burn this in a bit an listen some more.

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #1,308 of 4,701
They sound a lot better on my portable setup than my desktop. Really really good. Especially with EDM

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #1,309 of 4,701
They sound a lot better on my portable setup than my desktop.

Same here. I don't have an amp for my desktop so when using that it sounds too thin. EQ certainly makes them perfectly listenable but it's not ideal. From Sansa/E17 sounds good, perhaps the E17 also adds a bit of warmth.

Actually, I still haven't listened to them enough and I won't be able to for the majority of this week.

But they've had a good 40hrs burn in now.

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #1,310 of 4,701
Same here. I don't have an amp for my desktop so when using that it sounds too thin. EQ certainly makes them perfectly listenable but it's not ideal. From Sansa/E17 sounds good, perhaps the E17 also adds a bit of warmth.

Actually, I still haven't listened to them enough and I won't be able to for the majority of this week.

But they've had a good 40hrs burn in now.

My desktop has an amp. I'm using an Audio Gd 15.32 so it should be plenty powerful. It drives my TH600s perfectly.

My portable setup actually sounds more open and a lot less veiled with the PRO80s. Its funny because both my portable and desktop drives my TH600s, HE500s, HD600s and mad dogs great

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,312 of 4,701
I believe burn-in is completed or close to completion on my new HI2050’s! To be honest I was getting worried, I read so many good things about them on this site that I new they must be at least be decent headphones for the budget low price. After several days of almost continuous playing I thought maybe these weren’t as good as people think. I did not do any extended listening during burn-in because I took an initial listen and heard what was wrong (and right) and wanted to see what the burn-in process would do to these. Finally last night I put them on as usual for a quick listen before bed and wow! Treble harshness was much improved and they just became so much better. No broken glass highs, mids were acceptably neutral and bass was still lite but nice and tight, just needing a little impact. They do have great detail and really accentuate stereo imaging. So overall for $37.00 I am happy…just wish they were able to open a little bigger. If you can get them cheap go for it just let them burn-in for 100+ hours.

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #1,314 of 4,701
  Any Mad Dog comparions spurxiii?

In comparison to the Mad Dogs.

The PRO80s have had about 10 hours burn in so still really initial impressions and were done on my AGD NFB15.32. It may sound like the differences below are extreme but they are in comparison to each other so naturally it would seem the case. The PRO80s do surprisingly well in comparison with the Mad Dogs. But then again the Mad Dogs is a can that really grows on you once you've had it on for a while. Initially when I tried the Mad Dogs when I first got them, I thought there was something wrong with them (they were that dark).

Highs: The highs of the PRO80s extend a little bit more on the Mad Dogs, which sound a darker in comparison
Mids: The PRO80s mids are a more forward sounding. 
Mid Bass: The mid bass of the PRO80s are more present than the Mad Dogs but is a bit more unnatural in comparison
Sub Bass: The sub bass on the Mad Dogs extends moderately more than the PRO80s

General:  Although the Mad Dogs are quite flat and neutral sounding, in comparison, the PRO80s makes the mad dogs sound almost U shaped. In terms of detail presented the Mad Dogs have it over the PRO80s by a noticeable margin. The tone of the Mad Dogs is also smoother and less harsh, but this may be because the PRO80s still need some burning in. The Mad Dogs edges out the PRO80s in soundstage, which isn't saying much. In comparison, the PRO80s sound like it has a slight veil, again like the singer is singing with a cloth over the mouth. This veil has improved since yesterday. The Mad Dogs is a better can, but I'm comparing it to a $69 one. I got my Mad Dogs for $250 and I can say that both are really enjoyable to listen to. I hope this helps.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #1,315 of 4,701
Did anyone else, from other countries than Belgium, had to pay customs clearance on a Takstar from China ?

DHL did the clearance and I had to pay an additional €18 ($25) to get these Takstars through customs. So untill now the total bill is €52 for the Takstar + shipping & €18 customs clearance. So that totals at €70 (=$96) to buy these headphones. I hope they are as good as claimed on this site !
deadhorse.gif

Today the velvet replacement Takstar earpads arrived. They are nice and soft. Not as soft as the Beyerdynamic DT770 earpads but close. Delivery of the Takstar Pro 80 is on thursday. I'm seriously curious !

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #1,316 of 4,701
  Did anyone else, from other countries than Belgium, had to pay customs clearance on a Takstar from China ?

DHL did the clearance and I had to pay an additional €18 ($25) to get these Takstars through customs. So untill now the total bill is €52 for the Takstar + shipping & €18 customs clearance. So that totals at €70 (=$96) to buy these headphones. I hope they are as good as claimed on this site !
deadhorse.gif

Today the velvet replacement Takstar earpads arrived. They are nice and soft. Not as soft as the Beyerdynamic DT770 earpads but close. Delivery of the Takstar Pro 80 is on thursday. I'm seriously curious !

I'm sorry to hear that. Usually it's a good idea to stay away from fast shipping with DHL, Fed EX etc if you want to avoid custom/VAT on your item. These companies makes money on the custom clearence at therefore always demand a invoice with the shipment. If the amount on that invoice is higher than a certain value (in Norway it's Euro 25 not shure about the EU) you'll have to custom clear it and pay VAT. If it's send as regular mail (with or without tracking) it's the value that's put on the custom sticker by the seller that decides if it's going to be charged with VAT/custom duty or not. Seller from Asia are usually very willing to put this amount low and mark it as a gift. Might be worth remembering for another time.

But don't worry, they are worth it 
beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #1,317 of 4,701
Well, seems that China post refuses to send headphones overseas. They say it's something about the magnets. So the seller had to use DHL cause they were the only company willing to make the delivery.

I get the feeling it's getting harder all the time to get stuff send outside of China without customs on your case. Had the same thing with a grille for my car. Shipped in the USA and held back one week at customs Brussels. Then good an extra €33 bill to pay befor I got it. In the end shipping + customs clearance = items price
cool.gif

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #1,318 of 4,701
  Well, seems that China post refuses to send headphones overseas. They say it's something about the magnets. So the seller had to use DHL cause they were the only company willing to make the delivery.

I get the feeling it's getting harder all the time to get stuff send outside of China without customs on your case. Had the same thing with a grille for my car. Shipped in the USA and held back one week at customs Brussels. Then good an extra €33 bill to pay befor I got it. In the end shipping + customs clearance = items price
cool.gif

You might be right. IEM's on the other hand is still easy 
gs1000.gif

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,320 of 4,701
My first shipment of HD5500 supposedly got turned away by China customs. That may have just been a stalling story from the seller though. The second pair got through fine (but slowly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back