The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
May 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #781 of 4,701
Would you say that the Takstar HI 2050 are a considerable upgrade to my current Sennheiser HD 595?

Even though I find the Senn HD 595s good in resolution, details, soundstage etc, there is something missing. It's not engaging! Only once in a while, I feel the urge to stomp my feet to the rythm, which is happening much more often with, say, my Fischer Audio FA-004. (Both running un-amped.) While I do care for good freq response and natural sound, I really feel listening to music must be fun! Does this make sense at all? :) Would say that the Takstar HI 2050 has that "feet stomping factor" or am I better off with something else? (It should be noted that I'm not only after a pumping bassline, I'm listening to a wide variety of music, much focus on acoustic bands, jazz and good ol' rock'n'roll.)

Or would I perhaps be better off just investing in a cheap amp, say the SMSL Fort or the HA INFO U2 Plus V2 to bring out the best of my Sennheiser HD595s?

May 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #782 of 4,701
Would you say that the Takstar HI 2050 are a considerable upgrade to my current Sennheiser HD 595?

Even though I find the Senn HD 595s good in resolution, details, soundstage etc, there is something missing. It's not engaging! Only once in a while, I feel the urge to stomp my feet to the rythm, which is happening much more often with, say, my Fischer Audio FA-004. (Both running un-amped.) While I do care for good freq response and natural sound, I really feel listening to music must be fun! Does this make sense at all? :) Would say that the Takstar HI 2050 has that "feet stomping factor" or am I better off with something else? (It should be noted that I'm not only after a pumping bassline, I'm listening to a wide variety of music, much focus on acoustic bands, jazz and good ol' rock'n'roll.)

Or would I perhaps be better off just investing in a cheap amp, say the SMSL Fort or the HA INFO U2 Plus V2 to bring out the best of my Sennheiser HD595s?

i looooovee my HPT-990 which is the same thing. it always gets me jumping around my office when i should be working:D

May 5, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #783 of 4,701
Quote:

I am using cryoed pure copper type 2 litz on my Pro 80, and they sound like open back phones, sound quality is better than the HPT990/2050, using Shure 940 velour on them as well, with a little EQ on the low end.  The bass on these is excellent, quantity of the S500 but much better quality and texturing....really a fantastic sounding headphone that is getting most of my listening time.  I have never heard better sub bass on a headphone, deep, tight and clean.  Both of these headphones really scale up with my tube amplifier.  The cryoed pure copper type 2 litz is 26 gauge and easy to work with, newly available on plussound.com!  The best copper wire available for DIY!

Very happy that you were pleased with our new products.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
May 5, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #784 of 4,701
Quote:
Quote:

I am using cryoed pure copper type 2 litz on my Pro 80, and they sound like open back phones, sound quality is better than the HPT990/2050, using Shure 940 velour on them as well, with a little EQ on the low end.  The bass on these is excellent, quantity of the S500 but much better quality and texturing....really a fantastic sounding headphone that is getting most of my listening time.  I have never heard better sub bass on a headphone, deep, tight and clean.  Both of these headphones really scale up with my tube amplifier.  The cryoed pure copper type 2 litz is 26 gauge and easy to work with, newly available on plussound.com!  The best copper wire available for DIY!

Now I am waiting for you to offer DIY pure stranded silve cryoed type 2 litz and silver and copper hybrid cryoed type 2 litz!  You know, like Frank's!

May 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #785 of 4,701

Now I am waiting for you to offer DIY pure stranded silve cryoed type 2 litz and silver and copper hybrid cryoed type 2 litz!  You know, like Frank's!

+1:D

May 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #787 of 4,701
YES! i find that so much more detail comes through! its almost as if a "veil" was removed from the whole Can. when i play first person shooters with the hpt-990 with the new cable i find that i can hear/feel the pressure waves from explosions from it seems like a a great distance and i can "follow" the sound all the way to my ears, and also have a great sense of which direction it came from. they really transformed into a beautifull sounding can that is more accurate in every way! also gun reloading sounds are so surreal now it gave me goosebumps! I love....
same goes for music
all around more detail and presence and the most notable is the quality/quantity of the mid range, all very surreal and has a very real sound to it now! i know its kind of corny but i have a really high quality live recording of stairway to heaven that was just mind blowing! very excellent instrument separation and i can very clearly hear the location of every thing! i feel like im front row center stage!:D
almost like plugging a mic straight into your brain!
also how could i forget BASS! i would say it makes it smoother/tighter with very good decay and extension all the way to the lowest lows without getting flabby at all(which is something i experienced pre-mod) i listen to mostly music that contains lots of 808bass and bass clarity is an absolute requirement for me(my name said it all) i can say that 9/10 headphones ive tryed seem to get floppy with the genre of edm i listen to.. with the HPT-990s this is not the case...very surprising for an open can. i cant recommend this mod enough!
and like i said before i want to rewire my life with this stuff!

May 8, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #789 of 4,701
Yes , the hi-2050 improve a lot with amping : better bass control ( less boomy and more refined ), open-up ( better soundstage and less congested sound ), better dynamics, they REALLY need an amp to show their true potential though it's a quite a good pair of cans unamped especially at their price point :wink:
Hope this helps

May 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #791 of 4,701
What would you purchase for around $50 USD?  I currently have the Monoprice 8323 and was looking at the Superlux HD681 EVO or HD668B.

May 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #792 of 4,701
Hi, 

I am a complete noob here and have just ordered the takstar hi 2050. I have not received them yet, they will be arriving soon though. I just started looking into amps and given that I have already spent too much on headphones since joining these forums I am not looking to buy something expensive (I got a ha-s400 when I joined here and have now ordered a hi 2050 that was definitely not in the budget).

I guess this happens to people who start reading these forums, the wallet thins out a bit. Anyway, I found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HA-info-U2-Plus-V2-AD1852-USB-Sound-Card-DAC-Headphone-Amp-U2-/261156704057?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3cce270f39#shId and given that I do live in Denmark currently, the fact that these are shipped from the UK is very appealing (dont have to think about import fees I know nothing about and what not).

Does anyone have experience with this amp, I have seen the HA info recommended a lot on this thread, or perhaps not recommended but mentioned as a possibility for an amp at least. The thread for the amp is not flooding in information and the latter comments have someone who believes he has a faulty unit or isn't happy at least. People also seem to be changing the op amp or something, as I said before I am new to this and looking for a simple solution to ease into all this (I am already spending way too much time on research here when I should be studying).

To sum up: has anyone tried this amp and if so, is it good without modifications?

May 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #793 of 4,701
First of all, welcome to Denmark I hope you will have a wonderfull time here..
I listened shortly to the amp you linked to at our last meet and was not that impressed, it is an OK beginners amp, but not a device that will last, at least not in my life..

I would go for something used at a higher newprice, Aune makes good an relative cheap amp/dacs, if you could find a used X1 or T1, you will get a machine that will last and are buildt quite well..

In the 50£ pricelevel I am a bit blank, I love good and cheap stuff, but it can get to cheap for me..
I do not mind buying and using 50 $/£ phones, but I like to spend a bit more on the source, the term crap in crap out is quite true, not that you need to spend big amount on amp/dacs but you need to spend a bit more to get a keeper..

If you are in Denmark look at hoved-fi.dk we have a good and active used market and you will save the custumfee that will come on top if you buy stuff outside the EU, you have already propably found out the Denmark is NOT a cheap place to live..

You could also become a member of hoved-fi and see if some of our members would like a visit, then you could listen to some amps/dacs and find out what kind of sound you wish, we are a very kind bunch of people and most of us have no problem talking and writing in english..

The HI2050 is a very cheap phone and if you think it is to expensive, you will have a hard time finding a decent setup..

Also remember I am a diehard, hardcore headphonegeek...

May 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #794 of 4,701
I am having difficulties registering to the forum, I get the message that my email address is not valid - I even tried two.

I have actually noticed you advising people not to skimp on the amps. However, I just don't know my ears at all and I don't know how I will respond to high quality audio and if I will hear any difference, therefore I am looking for budget stuff to get me started on this hobby and later when I finish school I will afford higher end equipment.

What you have written is the reason I have not purchased a fiio amp. Would you say that this amp is better than the fiio e10?

edit: its not that I think the takstar is expensive, I found it cheap at 48 punds including shipping, however I didn't need a phone and therefore buying one is outside my budget. Again I also don't need an amp (except maybe for the unneeded 2050) and therefore the amp is outside the budget as well. I could also save up for a more expensive amp, I just find it a little illogical to be spending more on one amp than my headphone collection combined (maybe not, but it would be more expensive than any single headphone at least).

moar edits: I was ignoring your "prove you are human" thinking it was an ad on your site, I didn't quite understand the please complete the game message, actually thought it was some error :) anyway, I am now registered

May 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #795 of 4,701
I would recommend saving the cash and buying a good amp to begin with instead of throwing it at cheap stuff. You'll have an easier time reselling a good amp even if it's inexpensive vs a cheap amp which you'll just be stuck with. For around the $50 area, you can try looking for a cMoy or even building one yourself for even cheaper. It's a good inexpensive amp that you can resell for almost what you spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back