The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Apr 23, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #751 of 4,701
MH463 and Hi2050 are quite different, so it would more depend on your preferences than the actual quality..
If you do not intend to use an amp I would recommend the MH463 on the other hand the mh463 does not grow nearly as much as 2050 when driven properly..

get both and sell the one, that does not fit your taste would be the safest route to go..

Sorry about your wallet

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #752 of 4,701
Thanks for the reply Claus-DK. It's cool to talk to a Dane.

Firstly, I'll admit im a big novice is regards to audio. Please keep that in mind :xf_eek:

Price is partially the problem. I can find a good price for the Hi2050 to my location, but not the MH463. Seems they've gone up? Postage is the killer though (Australia here).

Concerning what I want, it'd be aimed primarily at general usage, with a focus on home theatre and gaming. Lots of time will probably be dedicated to gaming, actually. Not competitive, just for atmosphere. I say general use, as I've never had an open pair of headphones before, so want to experience the difference in soundstage etc. with music too. My only real reference point with audiophile centric headphones, albeit on a budget, is the M50s and FA-003 rebrands. Very Spartan, you could say :). Other than that, it's trying out cans at the headphones kiosk in stores. How does this influence your suggestion?

If its not asking too much: what would you suggest for a budget amp, given my existing collection and the possible new entrants? Totally confused by the subject, and DACs too. My music is mainly 360 kbps quality MP3s on a iPod 4th Gen. The only other use my headphones get is plugged into my TV for movies and gaming. Would the amp equipment be universally compatible.

Anyway yes, I think that covers it. Thanks in advance if this reply hasn't already given you a headache.

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #753 of 4,701
If I dig a very deep whole in my yard and you do the same, we could almost meet in the middle, then you could try both..
beerchug.gif

If by Gaming phones you are talking about those that is connected via USB it will be hard to put an amp/DAC in the chain.

Otherwise you need to have the Amp/dac standing colse to your PC as there is no microphone in the amps I have heard of, sp the mic jack still needs to go into your PC..
Other than that there is no problems AFAIK, I only play Pacman and angry birds so I guess I am not a gambler..

You need to be able to take a digital signal to use an DAC, i.e USB/Coax/Optical from the device you want to deliver the sound, so instead of plugging your phones in an out, you will need to plug in the amp/dac instead..

The Fa003 (Jaycar digitec ?) is actually a very nice and good for value phone, it is by far the most neutral of the three, You would gain quite a bit with an amp/DAC for those also..

Do you want it to be different or like the fa003 in signature ??

2050 has the signature that comes closest to the fa003..

If you already got 2 pair of decent phone and are going to get a third or even fourth pair, it would be wise to get a bit more serious about the amp/DACs oherwise you will just end up like me with WAAAY to many amp/DACs, which also is fun, but you would save in the long run by spending a bit more than nessesary..

Meier Audio, Aune, HA INFO, Hippo, Audinst, Muse, little dot etc. etc. all makes good amp/DACs at an afordable price.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #754 of 4,701
I got the Gemeni HSR-1000 version of the Pro 80 yesterday.  Bought them from amazon.com used for around $60, and I wanted a listen, but did not plan on keeping them.  Initially out of box, I thought they sounded a little weird, congested, boxed in.  So, I set them aside, since I already have the HPT990, MH463, HD600, and HD580.  A while later I went back to the HSR-1000 to do some pad swapping.  Tried and didn't care for the sound of HM5, HPT990 velour, Shure 840 pads, and I thought no these are not going to work for me, probably because I am too comfortable with open back phones.  I did successful recable on the MH463 and HPT990 (double entry), with some good quality DHC Peptide and Peptide Hybrid wire, and was really happy with the sound.  They rivaled and bettered the Sennheisers, MH464 with Shure 840 pads, and Shure 940 velour pads on the way were really sounding the best that I have heard them.  This morning I was going to pack up the HSR-1000/Pro 80 for shipping back to amazon.com, and I thought I would give them another chance, and tried the pad swaps a couple of time.  I looked in my pad drawer and saw the HE-400/500 pads I purchased in velour and pleather, decided to give them a try.  I put the HE-400/500 pleather pads on the HSR-1000, and was I suprised.....soundstage was as big as my open back phones, mids were right there, up front where I like them, vocals were fantastic, and imaging/separation was totally improve over the stock or any other pads.  The HE-400/500 pads totally make the phones circumaural, and way comfortable.....recommended.  Sound is like open phones, but isolation is there as well, soundstage wide, tall and 3D....what else is there!  I'll be keeping these budget phones, making plans to double entry rewire!

Paid $20 plus shipping for the HE-400/500 pads.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #755 of 4,701
If I dig a very deep whole in my yard and you do the same, we could almost meet in the middle, then you could try both..:beerchug:

If by Gaming phones you are talking about those that is connected via USB it will be hard to put an amp/DAC in the chain.

Otherwise you need to have the Amp/dac standing colse to your PC as there is no microphone in the amps I have heard of, sp the mic jack still needs to go into your PC..
Other than that there is no problems AFAIK, I only play Pacman and angry birds so I guess I am not a gambler..

You need to be able to take a digital signal to use an DAC, i.e USB/Coax/Optical from the device you want to deliver the sound, so instead of plugging your phones in an out, you will need to plug in the amp/dac instead..

The Fa003 (Jaycar digitec ?) is actually a very nice and good for value phone, it is by far the most neutral of the three, You would gain quite a bit with an amp/DAC for those also..

If you already got 2 pair of decent phone and are going to get a third or even fourth pair, it would be wise to get a bit more serious about the amp/DACs oherwise you will just end up like me with WAAAY to many amp/DACs, which also is fun, but you would save in the long run by spending a bit more than nessesary..

Meier Audio, Aune, HA INFO, Hippo, Audinst, Muse, little dot etc. etc. all makes good amp/DACs at an afordable price.

Hey Claus, thanks again for the reply.

If only heh. Well, my brother plans to visits Scandinavia soon, so maybe I can live vicariously through him and sample :D.

No, gaming is pretty much solely on a console. I've lagged too far behind in the PC upgrades, so that's not an option. I'm currently just using the 3.5mm input on my TV when I play. When you say I'd need to be close to a PC for a mic, do you mean in regard to online communication? Again, that's not really a concern. The only thing worse than my PC specs is Australia's broadband infrastructure, so I don't game online much. When I say game it's purely single player stuff, no mic needed.

I think I understand. So I'd need something like a LOD cable from the iPod Touch to the amp/dac, and my headphones run from that. And from the TV it would be a male to male 3.5mm cable to the amp/dac, then my headphones from that - though that would be an analogue signal, right (so the dac wouldn't be doing anything)? Different connection to the amp/dac would be necessary to get a digital signal? I actually have a home theatre receiver (Pioneer VSX-521), but that's still packed up in a box because I haven't found the right speaker setup for it.

That's great, and you're correct (Jaycars). I like the clarity and neutrality of them. Good to know they'd benefit. As to whether I'd want a different sound signature, I don't really know. I enjoy both the M50 and Jaycars for different reasons - sorry to be so difficult!

What are pros and cons in sound signatures for Hi2050 and MH463?

Thank you for the amp/dac suggestions. I'll research. Is there a specific model, a jack-of-all-trades, taking into consideration budget and the potential headphones used.

Again, I'm sorry for unleashing a flood of questions on you.

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #756 of 4,701
If you are going to take the analog signal from your Ipod/TV you might as well go for an amp, a decent cMoy should give you a decent rise in the SQ..
You will get an even bigger rise from an DAC/amp, but it must be feed by the digital signal like USB from your PC, a coax out on your TV, reciever, Playstation have optical out if I remember correct..

Signaturewise I do think that the MH is more in your face and aggresive, the 2050 is a polite dinner with fork and knives and you best suit..

I have only tried a c´fraction of the DAC/amps that are availble today and the only ones I have disliked are the Fiio´s, a good one that are very versatile and portable is the Ibasso D10, but are you only going to use the amp part get a cheap Cmoy like sigis amps on ebay or something like that, they only cost 50-100 $ and if you have basic soldering skill you can DIY one for about 10 $..

Stationary I would go for either the Aune X1 or T1, both good machines that also looks good on your desk..

If you really want to spoil yourself look for Burson/Audio GD/Shiit etc.

Keep in mind that taste is personal and we might not have the same taste..

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #757 of 4,701
Quote:

I guess you mean, compared to the MH463, because the FA-003 is more neutral and colder than HI2050.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #759 of 4,701
I have the MH463s on-hand and absolutely love them. I also have the HI 2050s inbound and can/will report on how they compare as soon as I get them and get some time on them.

The thing you need to remember about the 463s is that they are physically heavy and will not win any comfort contests. With the Shure pads they are worlds better than the stock pads, but they are still not headphones you can wear and forget about. The weight may also be a factor, since you can't get "actively" into music (rock out with your... you know) without them flying off. Sonically they are my favorite pair of headphones.

From reading, the 2050s will be a lot more comfortable. I don't know how weight compares. They are supposedly semi-open, which means the 463s will probably beat them for soundstage. I'm sure a little patience and the right drill bit can change 'semi-open' to 'open' and I'd be very interested to see how they compare then.

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #761 of 4,701
Quote:
Hey Claus, thanks again for the reply.

If only heh. Well, my brother plans to visits Scandinavia soon, so maybe I can live vicariously through him and sample
biggrin.gif

No, gaming is pretty much solely on a console. I've lagged too far behind in the PC upgrades, so that's not an option. I'm currently just using the 3.5mm input on my TV when I play. When you say I'd need to be close to a PC for a mic, do you mean in regard to online communication? Again, that's not really a concern. The only thing worse than my PC specs is Australia's broadband infrastructure, so I don't game online much. When I say game it's purely single player stuff, no mic needed.

I think I understand. So I'd need something like a LOD cable from the iPod Touch to the amp/dac, and my headphones run from that. And from the TV it would be a male to male 3.5mm cable to the amp/dac, then my headphones from that - though that would be an analogue signal, right (so the dac wouldn't be doing anything)? Different connection to the amp/dac would be necessary to get a digital signal? I actually have a home theatre receiver (Pioneer VSX-521), but that's still packed up in a box because I haven't found the right speaker setup for it.

That's great, and you're correct (Jaycars). I like the clarity and neutrality of them. Good to know they'd benefit. As to whether I'd want a different sound signature, I don't really know. I enjoy both the M50 and Jaycars for different reasons - sorry to be so difficult!

What are pros and cons in sound signatures for Hi2050 and MH463?

Thank you for the amp/dac suggestions. I'll research. Is there a specific model, a jack-of-all-trades, taking into consideration budget and the potential headphones used.

Again, I'm sorry for unleashing a flood of questions on you.

As a potential solution to your gaming/theater (i.e. stationary) amplification needs, though it runs contrary to Head-Fi's usual theme of sobbing wallets, my suggestion is to first try out what you've already got before investing further. The spec sheet for that Pioneer VSX-521 you have boxed up looks rather promising - Dolby decoders, headphone surround, assignable optical input/output (and if it won't take optical in from the console, then HDMI) - pretty much everything but a DAC for the iPod. This wouldn't be a half-measure, either - there are plenty of folks on the gaming forums here that prefer receivers to other console gaming audio solutions, especially for headphone surround sound.

I use the HI2050 for gaming, XBOX360 optical out to either Turtle Beach DSS (currently ~$25 used on eBay) or 2013 Astro Mixamp (~$100), and both seem to drive the 2050s just fine, though naturally I wouldn't know what I was missing until I heard it out of something better. For gaming audio, which isn't generally the best quality anyway, I'm more than satisfied.

I haven't yet heard the MH463, but while individuals may vary on which sound signature they prefer (and BBEG, I'm looking forward to your impressions when your 2050s arrive), from what I've read most would concur that the HI2050 gets the nod regarding comfort - especially after the stock velour (felt?) pads break in (and Shure 940 pads fit if you don't care to wait).

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #763 of 4,701
Sooo... guess what was waiting for me when I got home from work?

Quick 1st impressions (literally, 30 min out of the box) of the HI 2050 and MH463 comparison (without equalizing):

Sound
  1. From Meizu MX - 2050 is louder (might mean easier to drive).
  1. From Meizu MX - 463 has more bass overall; more thump, more extension, all of it.
  2. From Meizu MX - 2050 seems to have more headroom in treble and has more detail.
  3. From Meizu MX - 463 has more airiness; tracks that need space for soundstage definitely lose some dimension through the 2050s.
  4. From FiiO E17/Foobar 2k - Volume is roughly the same between the 2050s and 463s.
  5. From FiiO E17/Foobar 2k - Confirmed lack of bass and what I'm perceiving as more detail in treble for the 2050s; these are not 'bright' headphones though.
  6. From FiiO E17/Foobar 2k - 463 clearly bests the 2050 for soundstage and imaging.

Comfort
  1. The 2050 seems to be responding well to EQ adjustments in bass.
  2. 2050s are MUCH lighter than the 463s; maybe half the weight.
  3. 2050s are MUCH more comfortable (stock) than the 463s (stock). They compare fairly evenly with the 463 + Turtle Beach pad combo. I think the 2050s may have long-term comfort issues with pressure on the jaw. I'll learn soon enough.
    dt880smile.png
  4. 2050 pads are comfy. They clear my ears in all directions and are deep enough that only the tips of my ears brush the inner lining.
  5. 2050s seem like they'll get warm, but they are open enough to keep my ears cool. I don't envision needing to remove these to cool your head down. Interestingly, they seem to be better at promoting airflow than they truly open 463s (I have no explanation for that one...).

I already know I'll be keeping these. They're as light as my Uptowns and Somic EFi's and seem to respond well to amateur EQing. The Meixu MX media player's "rock" EQ setting compliments the 463s nicely and, at first bluff, seems to be as nice for the 2050s. I'm sure with Foobar's greater EQ control it can be refined even better.

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #764 of 4,701
2050s are MUCH more comfortable (stock) than the 463s (stock). They compare fairly evenly with the 463 + Turtle Beach pad combo. I think the 2050s may have long-term comfort issues with pressure on the jaw. I'll learn soon enough. :dt880smile:

Definitely that on my first day with them. Stretch them a little and they'll ease up. Super comfy and I can wear them hours at a time.

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #765 of 4,701
Got a tempting offer from a taobao seller and took the plunge on Takstar HD6000 today. I got them for only 75USD and should receive them in 1-2 days, will give a quick impression as soon as I receive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back