The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Apr 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #721 of 4,701
Quote:
Any comparison of the 2050s with the Somic MH463s yet?

I had both at home one week ago.
Somic are much more bassy. Too much for me, but I'm not a basshead. The mids are laid back, slightly on a warmer side. Metal sound of string instruments is nice. Trebles are mild, less vivid than on 2050. Somic sounds overall more grainy, with worse instrument separation and mids are more recessed in comparison with 2050. Somic MH463 sounded me as clearly under $100 headphones and Takstar HI 2050 as $150 headphones. For me it is quite clear which are better.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #722 of 4,701
Quote:
 Just wondering which is better:
 A superlux 668b/samson sr850 or a takstar hi2050 or techinical pro.

Already bought the 668b, and I'm having buyers guilt. (I can't return it, don't live in the u.s.)

I tested Samson SR850 and Takstar HI 2050 one week ago (together with Superlux HD681 and Somic MH463).
Both SR850 and 2050 are very good headphones with sound quality level above $100, maybe $150. But they have quite different sound signature. Therefore I cannot say which one is better. It is quite clear that 2050 has much better build quality.

SR850 has quicker, solid, better controlled bass, but of less quantity than 2050 (but more than for example AKG K 701). I like flat sounding headphones and from this point of view bass amount was OK for me on SR850. The mids on SR850 are much more bright. Highs are soft, upper highs are less present. I found highs on 2050 as cleaner. SR850 has not only AKG look, but also sounds like AKG. HI 2050 looks like Beyerdynamic DT series and it has the DT880 sound signature, but the level of detail, soundstage width, imaging, instrument separation of DT880 is on better level (I own the 600 Ohm version).

Both SR850 and HI 2050 provide very good level of detail. SR850 is better in dynamics and much better in soundstage width and imaging. The SR850 is clearly more spacious.

So generally 2050s have softer sound, I like more the quality of 2050 mids and highs, I think 2050 provides better level of detail even though it is not as bright as SR850. I like the lower quantity but higher quality bass, the soundstage width, better imaging and higher dynamics of SR850.

SR850 are brighter, more suitable to pair with warmer amp, for example they sounded well with FiiO E11.
HI 2050 are darker, they benefit from neutral or brighter amp.
It really depends on darker/brighter nature of the source, which of these 2 will sound better.

Because of my DAC and desktop headamp give brighter, lively, energetic sound, I liked more the sound of HI 2050.
But on my warmer imod wih FiiO E11, better sound came from SR850.

2050 is unbeatable in the build quality in the range < $100. The Somic SR850 had pads changed to velour ones and they were very comfortable. Somics are really lightweight headphones. HI 2050 are also not weighty, but SR850 are lighter. The headband of SR850 tends to creak if you jerk your head. That's not the case of HI 2050. The build quality of SR850 seems to be on a much lower level than of 2050, but 2050s are quite expectional in this aspect for the price. I found both headphones as very comfortable and suitable for long term listening.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #724 of 4,701
Quote:
 The Somic SR850 had pads changed to velour ones and they were very comfortable.

Thank you for your impressions - you inspired me to break out my SR850s again for the first time in months, which also reminded me how the stock ear pads can get uncomfortable in a hurry. Incidentally, are the replacement pads you mentioned the AKG K240 MkII velours, or can you offer an alternative recommendation?

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #726 of 4,701
Quote:

Thank you for your impressions - you inspired me to break out my SR850s again for the first time in months, which also reminded me how the stock ear pads can get uncomfortable in a hurry. Incidentally, are the replacement pads you mentioned the AKG K240 MkII velours, or can you offer an alternative recommendation?

Those are the exact pads I've got on my 850s, too.

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #731 of 4,701
Quote:
The pads for AKG240 fits the SR850 and they are velour..

Quote:

Those are the exact pads I've got on my 850s, too.

Quote:
Yes, according to the phones owner they were AKG K240 MkII velours. They were really comfortable.

Thanks for the quick response, guys. Turns out my local AKG distributor doesn't stock them, and the only OEM ones I've found so far are on HeadRoom for ~$46 shipped, which has me looking to eBay (here and here) for ~$16.Those factory pads look very nice, though...

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #733 of 4,701
Quote:
My wife wonders if I had a thing for red... just maybe.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice!

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #734 of 4,701
Got both the Somic MH463 and the Technical Pro HPT990.  The MH463 were new from China last week, had a used pair that were very loose fitting, wings streached out by provious owner, the new MH463 have a much better clamping, and with velour pads, stay in place nicely, they don't move at all bending forward, backward, whatever.  So, I have similar velout pads on both, but I took the cloth out of the stock MH463 pads and put it on behind tthe velour pads.  I have the same exact wire on both pairs, made the HPT990 dual entry, using DHC Peptide Hybrid wire, litz type 2, silver plated copper, but not your common SPC.  I have this same wire on my HD600, and I am getting the same great results with all three headphones.  I am using Parametric EQ settings, the same on all three headphones, +3 db at 20hz, +4 db at 30hz, -4 db at 90hz and 125hz (this gets rid of the midbass that drowns the mids), to my ears this balances out the sound very nicely making the mids and highs more neutral with nice sub bass, tight without being overdone.  I only use a few EQ settings, because when using more that that the volume changes significanly throughout, pre amp settings help with that though if you have that capability. 

Separation, imaging and soundstage realism wins on the MH463, 3D stage depth and with are it's strong points, nice full sound, like it very much.  Bass is very deep and tight with good layering.  Overall the sense of actually being in an arena listening to a live performance is just fantastic.

The HPT990 is also a very good sounding headphone!  But to my ears the imaging is just not there like it is in the MH463, the soundstage is 2D, and not nearly as interesting as the 3D soundstage of the MH463.  The bass on the HPT990 has more quantity than the MH463, but is not as tight maybe slightly boomy depending on the music, IMO.  The highs with the velour pads on both headphones is very good and sparkly, I have that equal on both the MH463 and HPT990.  Mids are also very, very good on both headphones.  Clarity on the HPT990 is stunning, and acurate.  Tone on both phones is similar probably because of the velour pads, which I have gotton to like with my Sennheiser, and both headphones, IMO, compete yet compliment my HD600 and HD580, as I have the capability to use the same wire in all of them.  I have five different cables for my Senn's, and I can definately say that the DHC Peptide Hybrid wire has the same signature in each different headphone.

I live both the HPT990 and the my new MH463, hard to choose between my headphones and cables, as they are all very capable.  I like neutral sound, and I believe they all deliver.  I think with the Peptide Hybrid wire on the HPT990 and MH463, they top the Sennheiser's in clarity, maybe even more neutral the way that I have them set up.  The Sennheiser's do have more warmth than the two budget cans, that can be heard in vocals.  I am liking the open 3D type sound of the MH463 best right now for most of my listening, it does really well all round, but then again they all do.  There is just enough variation between all of my headphones to justify them.  It has been real interesting DIYing the wires that I have made myself over the last months, and listening to the differences it can make.  Self satisfaction is what this hobby is about, and it is remarkable just where the technology have come, reference the picture of the Takstar HI2050/Technical Pro HPT990 sitting on top of the very high end MacIntosh D100 gear at a recent CES show.  Now, does that say the MacIntosh D100 gear can make any HP sound good, or does it meam the budget phones are worthy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back