The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared
Jun 14, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #226 of 399
I kept seeing people mentioning that the Cmoy and A10 sound more musical than the E11. What does that really mean? Does it mean that the sound gets "muffled" to make it less jarring to the ears?

I used to have the E11 but lost it a month later without any good usage. I am hoping to get a new amp for my Brainwavz M4 and Beyer Dtx501p, but contemplating if I should get another E11 or look to other better options in the same price range.

Jun 14, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #227 of 399
Quote:
How's the sound if my SE215 use the FiiO RC-SE1 cable and the FiiO E11

I don't think SE213 really need amping.

Quote:
I kept seeing people mentioning that the Cmoy and A10 sound more musical than the E11. What does that really mean? Does it mean that the sound gets "muffled" to make it less jarring to the ears?

I used to have the E11 but lost it a month later without any good usage. I am hoping to get a new amp for my Brainwavz M4 and Beyer Dtx501p, but contemplating if I should get another E11 or look to other better options in the same price range.

Musical can be slightly different thing to different people. But to me, it incurs a sense of lushness / richness / room-filling of note, de-emphasizing on accuracy and speed ('de-emphasizing' doesn't mean 'don't have', but not something you will notice at first) which can make it sounds more mellow and less aggressive / easier going. it doesn't always mean muffed, but can feel that way if you come from a bright and fast amp.

Jun 14, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #228 of 399
It might actually mean the opposite. I found the E11 to be a very warm, dark sounding amp (almost like the PA2V2). I haven't heard the Cmoy, but the E17 sounds much more open with my UM3X, and doesn't hiss as much.

On a side note, the E11/UM3X is actually a terrible pairing, I would not recommend it to anyone. Fine on their own, but pretty bad together.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #229 of 399
Quote:
It might actually mean the opposite. I found the E11 to be a very warm, dark sounding amp (almost like the PA2V2). I haven't heard the Cmoy, but the E17 sounds much more open with my UM3X, and doesn't hiss as much.

On a side note, the E11/UM3X is actually a terrible pairing, I would not recommend it to anyone. Fine on their own, but pretty bad together.

E11 tends to sound dark to many because its bass has a little bit higher phase, so you perceive more bass (and thus warm) even though quantitatively it is neutral. Personally I won't really call E11 as musical.

PA2V2 is another matter - it is just not nearly as good (audibly and measurement wise) to E11. It is slow and mellow, not much tightness / authority / control to speak of, and thus gives the impression of musicality. That's where many find it charming.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #230 of 399
Thanks for the awesome review for newbies like me...
BTW, which amp is the best choice for GR04/GR04FE in your opinion? I've read that those really sound better w/ amping. Would a tube amp be better or would any of the amps you reviewed be more suitable?

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #231 of 399
Quote:
Thanks for the awesome review for newbies like me...
BTW, which amp is the best choice for GR04/GR04FE in your opinion? I've read that those really sound better w/ amping. Would a tube amp be better or would any of the amps you reviewed be more suitable?

GR04 series doesn't need amping. Well, all VSONIC's IEM don't need much amping too. Instead of spending money on amp, the better thing to do is save the money for better IEM. You will notice much obvious improvement that way.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #232 of 399
Updated with addition of BH2 and new remark on 3 Channels Headphone Amp.

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #234 of 399
Hi ClieOS,

How does the Venturecraft GD03 copare? I am really impressed with this compared wth the E5.

But i guess i used the E5 wrong. forgot top use a LOD.

Anyway how does teh GD03 compare with the ones you have here at the sub 100range.

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #235 of 399
Quote:
Hi ClieOS,

How does the Venturecraft GD03 copare? I am really impressed with this compared wth the E5.

But i guess i used the E5 wrong. forgot top use a LOD.

Anyway how does teh GD03 compare with the ones you have here at the sub 100range.

Never own an iPhone nor want one, so I have no incentive to try it or know how it sounds. Sorry.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #236 of 399
Hi,

I´m new here at this forum. Thanks for your nice review.

I´m thinking to buy a cheap portable amp for using with my iphone 5.
I want some opinions between these.

fred_fred_2004 built
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headphone-amplifier-eclipse-tin-cmoy-RECHARGABLE-audiophile-quality-Black-Ch-/200908741875?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2ec7181cf3
I asked him about this one & he replied: [size=10pt]The iphone generates a lot of noise and it can be a problem so bear that in mind IEMs work well with amps but can be very loud and if they are very sensitive they can hiss[/size]. Anyone have some experience using amps with iphone 5?

FIIO E11
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FiiO-E11-high-powered-portable-headphone-amplifier-/261239424572?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3cd315463c

Nuforce MMP

Or just skip the amps and buy Nuforce NE-700M?

I don´t have high-end in-ears. I had a pair of Nuforce NE7M which broked down some days ago. For the moment I´m using Bose IE2 & Nocs NS200.

Thanks for the help.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #237 of 399
My usual advise is, you should upgrade your headphone first before worrying about amping.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #238 of 399
I like the comfort of my Bose IE2, but is lacking bass, so that´s why I´m thinking to buy a cheap amp, it´s kind of cheaper than buy a new in-ear.

I have a pair of Moshi Vortex on its way.

But if I insist to buy a Portable amp which of those I mentioned would you guys recommend? I really like the fred_fred_2004 built one with the eclipse mint tin design.

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #239 of 399
The easiest thing is to EQ, or at least a bass boosting amp. There is difference between an amp tightening the bass response and actually boosting it. Adding an amp doesn't automatically equals to having more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back