The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared
Feb 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #196 of 399
ok i will look into the indeed g3,,, i have always been interested in the sound of tubes..  thanks

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #197 of 399
Quote:

In addition I OWN the e11 and to me the E11 sounds DARK. I listen to mine daily! And it's a dark amp imo, the treble is nice good air BUT it's still recessed. That being said I used Bass boost 2 [which is why I bought it] and compared to my Cmoy bb the E11 [at bb2] is much darker than my cmon [with bass boost on] my Fiio E6 was also dark. 

So I stand by my claim, but I should mention DARK with bass boost on [where as other amps solid state and hybrid tube r NOT dark with bass boost on] 

still though I like my e11 <3

OK, with E11's bass boost on 2, sure it sounds dark. But with it turned off, I don't think it is.
And the E6 with the EQ disabled sounds neutral to me....its EQ settings are too colored to use IMO.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #198 of 399
i prefer flat..  my ipod eq is turned off and the E11 is on "0",,   and im using 7 dollar earphones.. that have no bass (well nothing really low).  im completely happy,, i dont care for EQ bumps..  read in a audio book once (25yrs ago) that "an eq should be used to lower a particular freq not to elevate it", so i have always used that school of thought...   

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #199 of 399
OK, with E11's bass boost on 2, sure it sounds dark. But with it turned off, I don't think it is.
And the E6 with the EQ disabled sounds neutral to me....its EQ settings are too colored to use IMO.
True, my odac arrived so its time for a proper revist of all 4 of my amps!

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #200 of 399
I think people are over-hyping that impression. Read the OP....

I feel the same way as ClieOS. I don't find the E11 to have any veiling effect (like I would expect from a truly dark piece of equipment), there's just a very slight low bass bump.

If you consider dark losing clarity and detail right across the entire frequency range compared to the sources headphone out, sure. The low end on E11 also bleeds fairly heavily using the EQ features which worsens the problem. I found E5 a decent little amp, and during my testing found E5 to retain more clarity than E11 compared to the source it's feeding from. Possibly some people won't ever know what they're missing without experimenting with other amps..

P.S I haven't come in here to stick up or promote C&C BH, it doesn't need any support and is just clearly the cleaner sounding amplifier. All the members who came from E11 are really happy and can't believe they put up with the other so long, and I say good for them finally experiencing better sound quality. There's members in the C&C BH thread describing E11 as veiled, muddy, boggy, dirty, just like I experienced since changing over.

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #201 of 399
E11, as with most of FiiO's amps, measured flat from 20Hz to 20kHz. The only issue with E11, beside minor hissing coming from the MHz switching power section, is that it has a slightly high phase delay on the bass region. This gives listener a bassier, warmer and fuller body feeling - but the truth is, it is still neutral in quantity. You still hear as much bass (and treble) as you should, but the perception of speed (between treble and bass) is a little off and therefore give you the perception that it is not as clear as it should, but they are still all there.

I have not heard any of the C&C, but one needs to look ( / listen) at amp more critically since they can be measured to some standard. Taking iBasso D-ZERO for an example - it does sound really clean, until you take the time to measure it and find out that is is missing a chunk of sub-bass (which is kind of opposite to what E11 does). Sometime things that sounds good to many (i.e. PA2V2 and BitHead / AirHead in my personal experience) can actually be really sub-par in actual measurable performance. It is not to deny that they sound good, but to differentiate what is ear-pleasing and what is performing / missing. These are not always the same thing.

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #202 of 399
Quote:
. It is not to deny that they sound good, but to differentiate what is ear-pleasing and what is performing / missing. These are not always the same thing.

Indeed, the Hifiman Hm 601 sounds AMAZING and is technically bad lol,

still I like the E11's DARK sound. With bass heavy cans and for EDM it's perfect! 

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #204 of 399
SE215 (or the K version) doesn't really need amping. Save the money for now and get a good amp when you a better IEM. If you still think you want to try an amp, get the JDS cmoyBB.

May 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #206 of 399
Quote:
Hey!
Looking for a portable amp (under $100) to link to my dacport lx, I'm considering Cmoy from fred2004, E11 & C&C BH.
Where would you put the C&C BH next to those 2 amp?
I wonder if dacport lx + portable amp would be better than dacport.
Tx

Never listen to the BH before.

I think realistically speaking, I'll spend a bit more than $100 to go with a $250 DAC. A $200 budget will really give you some excellent option. If your budget really is limited to $100, try looking for a 18V cmoy (dual 9V)

May 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #208 of 399
Quote:
actually I don't have a real budget for it , I can go to $200 if the gap vs the $100 option is significant

In that case you should go $200. Check out the $200 amp shootout in my signature. If it doesn't have to be portable, O2 is a good choice.

May 1, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #209 of 399
Hi, just find out about Fred's 3 Channel CMOY Amplifiers (http://fredsamplifiers.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_31), I've been using portable cMoy v2.03 for a while with different IEM and wonder what noticible difference between them  for price:

cMoyBB v2.03 Headphone Amplifier standard: $60USD (must say I've changed OPA 2227 for OPA AD8610) 

Fred's 3 Chanel [size=medium]Cmoy LME49720 & LM6171Headphone Amplifier: $98USD + $16 transport [/size]

My actual IEM's are HifiMan RE400 (had to close cMoy Bass Bosst on this one) and JVC HA-FXD80-Z (more treble interferance)!

May 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #210 of 399
cmoyBB will sound really good with AD8620 (AD8610 is mono channel), but you need to use 2 9V battery (18V supply) or else AD8620 will be underpowered. However, AD8620 isn't a cheap opamp so at the end it might cost close to Fred's 3 channel amp. I think the overall SQ will actually be quite comparable between the two (cmoyBB-AD8620 vs. 3 channel amp). If you are looking for better bang for buck, I think I'll recommend cmoyBB + AD8620 first. There is however no bad choice between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back