The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared
Jul 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #242 of 399
Quote:
Would a sub $100 amp be worth it for a Zero Audio Basso?
Was thinking Fiio E07K.

Never listen to Zero Audio Basso before so I am not sure how it will go with amp.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #244 of 399
Quote:
Some people think Amp would do it good.
Is the E07K or E11 good for bassy IEMs?

Sure. E07K's bass boost is more controllable, but E11 sounds better.

Jul 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #247 of 399
Thanks ClieOS for your advice for EQ. I bought the Audio Xciter app to my iphone 5, now it sounds a bit better.
I order The Fred built Eclipse tin amp anyway because it was cheap, it´s always nice to have a new "toy" :-D

I also listened to your advice and order a better pair of in-ear. I´m waiting for a pair Nuforce NE-700M-SE and a pair of Moshi Vortex.

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #248 of 399
I received the Fred built amp today. Unfortunately I have problem with it. First the 3,5mm to 3,5 mm cable is not working.
Then I have problem with both headphone & input socket. Is like the holes is too big and doesn´t get the contact it need.
I tried it with both Moshi Vortex & Nocs NS200. When I wooble the headphone jack, it sounds normal in 1-2 seconds.
If I hold it still downwards it sounds ok again, obviously is something wrong with it. I mean I shouldn´t need to hold the headphone jack down, how can I  have it in my pocket then.
Lets see what Howard on Freds amp will say about it, I wrote him a mail just now.

By the way, I test it both with my iphone 5 and Sansa clip.

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #249 of 399
It is more likely a cold solder join than a jack problem. Though not always happen, it is a more frequent problem with hand soldered PCB. You might have to send it back in that case. I wonder if Howard can do an one-to-one swap* for you to save some delivery time.

*you sent out yours, give him the tracking for proof and he sent out a replacement unit immediately.

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #250 of 399
Howard replied very fast.
First he offered me to send me 2 new jacks for me to change it. But unfortunately I don´t know how or having friends with the knowledge to do it. So now he is offering me to either get full refund or send a new one.
I replied him that he can choose what option who suit him best, I can either accept a new one or full refund.
I must say they have excellent email response and custom service on Freds amp.

I will update, when I know what he will do next. Thanks for your advice again ClieOS.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #251 of 399
I got full refund from Freds amp. I understand, because if he needs to pay the fee for sending the amp back from Sweden to Australia and then send me a new one, he will lost too much money.
Nothing bad against them, they have excellent customer service and fantastic email response, so all props to them.
So my experience with Freds amp is still good,  I was just unlucky and received a faulty one.
Now you guys know that you can trust Freds amp.

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #252 of 399
I am not particularly intelligent, so this question is going to cover a wide range of my ignorance.

I'm finally looking for some quality headphones, and I just want to know how these portable amps work.
1.) Do they hve their own power scource?
2.) Do I have to get a cord seperately to be able to plug it into my iphone?
3.) What benefits does an amp give to the sound in comparison to simply listening with the power from the phone?
4.) Is there any other hardware that I'll need with an amp other than the music source, headphones, and cable?

Danke!

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #253 of 399
Pirakaphile,
It's ok! We're all in different steps along our audio journey :)

As far as all the cables, they usually include needed ones.
Portable amps usually include batteries, desktops usually need to be plugged into the wall. ClieOS has here reviewed portable ones.
Amp benefitssss... Controversial? But one thing people can agree on, larger headphones with less sensitivity than earbuds (or more ohms resistance) can sound "loud enough," but they need more power to sound controlled and clear at normal listening volumes. The resolution and detailed texture that you would hear with a nice amp will be a clear benefit... Maybe not "2x as good!" but once you get used to it everything else sounds like crap. How much you "need" to spend is the controversial part, it's really up to you.
Lastly, other hardware... Technically, no, but optionally yes. Say you have an iPhone 4S as your source, and a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 (32 Ohms version). You'll be able to plug them straight into your phone, and they will sound more than decent, better than the earpods that came with the phone. However, plug something like a FiiO E11 into the phone's headphone jack, then the DT880 into the FiiO amp, you'll notice that you can distinctly hear the bass guitar separately from the lead or rhythm guitar, soundstage will seem to expand so you'll have a better sense of how far away from the mic things are or the room the performance was recorded in, and if you use a $11 line-out adapter (like a FiiO L11) you'll hear slightly better clarity (but you need an amp at that point to control volume anyway)... Basically, when people make the next step you are considering, they almost always say "I'm hearing things in my favourite music that I've never noticed before!" and "I'm rediscovering my music collection!"

Of course, a 600 or maybe even 250 ohm Beyer DT880 might not get loud enough driven off an iPhone...

If you get addicted, you can always spend more money. So, the saying around here for new people is
WELCOME TO HEAD-Fi! Sorry about your wallet.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #255 of 399
Recently received Freds amp and have been enjoying it greatly.  Thanks to ClieOS to again steering us in the right direction.

I tried a few combinations before I settled on one.  They include adding the Digizoid amp in the chain with a Clip+ for a source.  

The Koss KSC-75 sounded good but were a bit maxed out with the Digizoid.  Blox MC2 were best with the Digizoid adding bass.  The best combo was with Beyer 1350.

The amp alone sounded clean and powerful but I thought the Digizoid added a necessary bit of bass boost.

Good service from Freds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back