The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #23,476 of 24,807
Quote:
I am so spoiled by electrostatic 'phones I am now considering selling all my dynamic and planar headphones and amps except maybe for one pair of Beyer 880's to use as utility 'phones / spares etc.  Hate to do it, I've acquired a lot of gear and built shelves to store it...  but  I just don't feel much like listening to anything except my 'stats anymore.

That's the way to go!  
L3000.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #23,477 of 24,807
Quote:
I am so spoiled by electrostatic 'phones I am now considering selling all my dynamic and planar headphones and amps except maybe for one pair of Beyer 880's to use as utility 'phones / spares etc.  Hate to do it, I've acquired a lot of gear and built shelves to store it...  but  I just don't feel much like listening to anything except my 'stats anymore.

I know this feeling, but I was much earlier in the game than you.  Still it felt good to shed and focus.  I ended up adding a closed phone for courtesy, and some IEMS for mobility, but basically after I heard the 404LEs, I had to stay with STAX.

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #23,478 of 24,807
It's a shame because it's a wicked shelf.. But selling unused stuff is the best move, and keeping your stax won't keep you sad for long.

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #23,479 of 24,807
I ended up going the same route and selling off most of my dynamics as the stat collection grew... much larger than I expected I might add.  

It's funny, I just realized that I sold my last balanced headphone when I finished building a balanced amp!  
confused.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #23,480 of 24,807
Just glued my headband together with something called Pattex PL-300, which I was recommended over the loc-tite stuff. I do have some slight doubts on whether it actually is good enough.

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #23,482 of 24,807
They are fragile. I think so...

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #23,484 of 24,807
Yeah, I moved from Dynamics to Stax at least 15 years ago. I even had a pair of the Pioneer Electret phones from the 80s.

I started with Lamda normal, then Lamda Pro, then Lamda Nova Signature, then more recently SR-007s 2.5s.

I love the sound I am getting right now, with Audio Note DAC 3.1 NOS tubed unit and Audio Note M3 tubed pre into a Stax SRM-717.

My front end changed recently as well, from CEC TL51 transport to Mac Mini into M2Tech EVO full stack, remote via iPad mini and Screens.

Jeeze, all that to replace spinning discs! But it sound much better, and I have instant access to my whole library,cool.

Stax are really great. My gripe would be they are fragile. The frame are not so strong, the dust issues, the damp issues, the Stax amp gets real hot. And the phones are not cheap. But they are the best, so unless another manufacturer comes up with the same sound in a more robust product, I am staying with Stax. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #23,485 of 24,807
I am considering a sr404 headband for my sig. It says Lambda signature on top :D
Which headband is the most comfortable, how's the sr-404 headband?

All the same unless you're bald.

Stax are really great. My gripe would be they are fragile. The frame are not so strong, the dust issues, the damp issues, the Stax amp gets real hot. And the phones are not cheap. But they are the best, so unless another manufacturer comes up with the same sound in a more robust product, I am staying with Stax. 

I find them to be very durable unless you drop them or don't take care of them, I mean it's rare too see anything other headphones still in one working piece having a 30+ year trip till now and still work.

Jul 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #23,486 of 24,807
Quote:
I am considering a sr404 headband for my sig. It says Lambda signature on top
biggrin.gif

Which headband is the most comfortable, how's the sr-404 headband?

The SR-404 arc assembly won't fit your Lambda Sig model unless you remove the pin receptacle inserts that interface the driver cases and pins on the ear case holders of the arc assembly. The 404 pins have wider diameter plastic pins compared with the smaller diameter Lambda Sig pins. Also, the clamping pressure is increased with the new (from the Nove Series onwards) arc assemblies. Personally, I prefer the arc assembly of the earlier models. Leave your Lambda Sig as it is!

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #23,488 of 24,807
1. @milosz - dont your headphones get dusty (or at least the ones you dont use often)?

2. the frames of the lambda-series seem to be getting less and less flexible (and maybe less durable?) but they seem to last a long time. I dont throw my headphones around or step on them and I dont have a ginormous head so no broken arcs yet.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #23,489 of 24,807
Are there any recorded attempts of someone modding a Sigma other than the typical 404 driver replacement? I think it'd be real interesting if someone slapped in some Orpheus drivers.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #23,490 of 24,807
Yesterday, I had my Lambda NB to take a bath, I mean only the arch section as it is become a bit sqeezed at the turning point. I had the arch disassembled and cleaned thoroughly with a Dove soap in a tub. After drying the parts, and to finish the procedure something got my attention that almost gave me a heart attack. It's colour became grey instead of black. Desperate mood I've applied some silicone grease on it; the same grease that I'm using on the moving parts of my bike and wanted to use in the turing points. Luckily, it's managed to solve this problem: it's now black again, and somehow it is more supple as I feel. The sqeezeing is also disappeared. Hope, it won't snap soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back