The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #23,207 of 24,807
So did a little research on this massive thread about the 2170 system (as this is the only thing I can afford right now and that's from Price Japan) and had a few questions.

So it's the most neutral/balanced of the current Lambdas? Is there any reason for me to stretch my budget and get the 407?

Also... I heard in passing that the 252S can be easily modified to work in the US without using a step-down transformer? Something about a plug trick? Can anyone fill me in on the details (please remember I'm a total moron who needs step-by-step explanation/instructions
biggrin.gif
)

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #23,208 of 24,807
Quote:
So did a little research on this massive thread about the 2170 system (as this is the only thing I can afford right now and that's from Price Japan) and had a few questions.

So it's the most neutral/balanced of the current Lambdas? Is there any reason for me to stretch my budget and get the 407?

Also... I heard in passing that the 252S can be easily modified to work in the US without using a step-down transformer? Something about a plug trick? Can anyone fill me in on the details (please remember I'm a total moron who needs step-by-step explanation/instructions
biggrin.gif
)

Can't help comment that my Stax system is the perfect compliment to the HE-500 (as different as they can possiblyt be). Can't blame you if you want new stuff, though, but know that the newer Stax isn't necessarily superior to the older stuff..

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #23,209 of 24,807
Quote:
Can't help comment that my Stax system is the perfect compliment to the HE-500 (as different as they can possiblyt be). Can't blame you if you want new stuff, though, but know that the newer Stax isn't necessarily superior to the older stuff..

So the real question for you is why are you keeping your HE-500 despite having a Stax system? Can you describe a little more about why they're complimentary?

I do know that the newer stuff isn't necessarily better in the Stax Lambda world (been doing some reading), but I would rather buy new if I can, unless the cost is ridiculous high or the current line up is just terrible and unlistenable compared to the older Lambdas.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #23,210 of 24,807
Quote:

biggrin.gif
)

Just buy a new wall-wart for it. There was a recent discussion on this, e.g. around here

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #23,212 of 24,807
Quote:
Is there a specific one that you can recommend? Or and example of one that would work for sure? (in the USA I mean)

Here we go:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/23010#post_9532138

I just received the 252II and the Stax "certified" wall wart was rated at 400ma so this one should be fine. I'm also using the little amp to drive the SR-407s and it's very nice indeed.

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #23,213 of 24,807
I just received the 252II and the Stax "certified" wall wart was rated at 400ma so this one should be fine. I'm also using the little amp to drive the SR-407s and it's very nice indeed.

Just to clarify, aren't the Japanese wall warts opposite polarity from the U.S.? I noticed I had to put the tip of my wall wart on backwards in order for my SRD-X Pro to work.

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #23,217 of 24,807
The 252 amp has background noise at moderately high volume. If you can, buy a used desktop amp for you 207 if budget really can't get you there. But I too dislike used headphones, I had too much deceivings with people unloading their damages headphones that I always buy them new..
The 3170 system is the ticket, because 307 isn't that much more expensive than the 207. But if you want to stretch a little, the 4170 is what you want and be done with.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #23,219 of 24,807
Quote:

Never noticed it on mine. Just plugged it in to test this and I hear no discernible background noise...

I think it's an alright amp for the lambda series.

Same here, none of my Stax amp's/energizers or ones that was loaned to me ever had a background noise regardless of volume except the Xh and the 252 where it clips on higher volumes due to lack of proper power.

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #23,220 of 24,807
And what else about it? Does it change the fact that most things are based on that 16bit/40-44khz recording format with a small handful being 24bit? This is what I was originally talking about?

Most digital recordings are 96 kHz, 24 bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back