The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #22,879 of 24,807
Quote:
More than a vulgar hobby, music is a passion and an inspiration. Gear is nothing but a mean, not something we listen to, but something we listen through

I have a Master degree in Musicology m8.. Stravinsky's Rite of Spring directed by Boulez, NY Phila is awesome on 507/006TS. People bashing stax headphones or stax amps should bash their own recordings instead.

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #22,880 of 24,807
Quote:
Keep the one with the golden caps and the silver wire.
It has to sound better.

Nah you need to wait for the burn-in period to settle at around 2000 hour mark and you rolling pro-bias jacks improve sound too.
Quote:
Lol, Dont drive him out like this, he was a bit rude but this is just too much. I havnt seen his post since

LOL, you want to sell any of those you mentioned, PM me :)
Quote:
I have a Master degree in Musicology m8.. Stravinsky's Rite of Spring directed by Boulez, NY Phila is awesome on 507/006TS. People bashing stax headphones or stax amps should bash their own recordings instead.

True.

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #22,881 of 24,807
(DefQon and Wink) You Ausies are all right. Would be fun to have you guys at the SoCal meet next month.​
Satororepotenet can keep his earbuds. I'll keep my Staxes 
very_evil_smiley.gif

​

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #22,882 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:
Another question: How does the Stax SRS-2050 compare with the SRS-2170? Or more specifically, the 202 vs the 207?

The amps are pretty much identical, the 252S is just better made and better executed.  The 207 is also a bit more refined but a bit brighter on top. 

Hmm, so assuming I can get the 2050 system fairly cheaply, it wouldn't be that bad of an intro stat, correct?

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #22,883 of 24,807
I absolutely love the Bach recordings on the BIS label, by the Bach Collegium Japan. Supreme in more than one aspect, and certainly superbly rendered by Staxen.

Quote:
Can you recommend some music that is rendered very well on Staxes, not necessarily classic? I would prefer chamber music or acoustic and the like. I really notice how they shine with certain peaces of music. But in general they don't shine with vocals...

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #22,884 of 24,807
Quote:
The two headphones sound quite different from one another.  The 007 is a bit on the warm side, 009 more neutral (think LCD2 vs HD600).  009 has a significantly larger soundstage which is part of the reason I recommended it to you (I like a big soundstage for classical).  Both have top-notch imaging.

That was a helpful comparison n3rdling. I had the opportunity today to listen to the HD800s, HD650s, and LCD2. I was specifically interested in the transducer's ability to resolve complex forte passages in orchestral musc ... specifically those from single mic'd mono recordings (how nerdy can that be). And I was only interested in the transducer, not the amp (I just brought along my iPod and E12 Fiio amp). My HD600s and Woo WA2 have this issue and amp changes haven't resolved it.

I found the LCD2 not to really work very well in this respect or have the best tone. Seemed a little muddy and quite dynamically congested for this type of music.  Importantly, they were a total ergonomic disaster for me. I couldn't really keep them on my head for any length of time.

The HD650's had the best tone (like my HD600s) but the HD800's had a bit better instrument separation and seemed to be able to resolve the cacaphony a little better than the other Sennheiser. A $1000.00 better? Well sure. Better is better. Tone wise, the HD800 seemed a little brighter but that brightness was able to also resolve some higher frequency passages in the music. It was the Celesta passage near the end of Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta where the HD800 excelled. Here this passage can be quite faint in the recording.

I guess my ears are old and tired because between the two Senn's is wasn't like night and day. If I go for an upgraded dynamic I'll go for the HD800s though as they are incredibly comfortable.

Another interesting thing I noticed was that a modern multi mic'd DDD recording of the same passage of music was acceptable on all the headphones.

I also asked the shop owner about Stax phones. He told me that, according to Edifier, they might be getting them in by the end of the year. That would be great! Edifier is in my town, so perhaps I'll phone them up. A side by side with the HD800 and Stax rig would be really good.

PS

That SRS2170 system sure sounds interesting! Maybe I'll get that to hold me over for the year.

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #22,885 of 24,807
Yes, Suzuki's recordings are wonderful. Yet, I really love Gardiner's cantatas a bit more. Can't go wrong with either.
The 009's bring up so much realism they disappear just like magic.
Just returned from Toronto and happened to see this on the street. It made my day!

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #22,886 of 24,807
Quote:
(DefQon and Wink) You Ausies are all right. Would be fun to have you guys at the SoCal meet next month.​
Satororepotenet can keep his earbuds. I'll keep my Staxes 
very_evil_smiley.gif

​

beerchug.gif

Quote:
Hmm, so assuming I can get the 2050 system fairly cheaply, it wouldn't be that bad of an intro stat, correct?

Definitely. A user by alias of Yuka something something was selling SR-2050 system for around $450 month ago, not sure if still there.

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #22,887 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely. A user by alias of Yuka something something was selling SR-2050 system for around $450 month ago, not sure if still there.

Bah, I can get a 2170 system for not too much more than that! 
tongue.gif

I'm talking even cheaper.

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #22,889 of 24,807
Quote:
2170 go for $600 not including shipping from priceJapan is the cheapest I know you can buy brand new with warranty, otherwise used is your only other option.

I found one for 52,710 yen brand new from a Japanese company that accepts paypal, and I can always have a buddy in Japan pick one up used for even less :)

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #22,890 of 24,807
Quote:Gilency
Would be fun to have you guys at the SoCal meet next month.

Would be wonderful to attend, but I don't even go that far for my holidays.

I wondered what SoCal was for a moment. I figured it was somewhere between full strength and lo-cal milk.

I hear it never rains in Southern California..........  I had some here this morning.

Have a wonderful time at the meet.  If DefQon sells his 'phones he may have enough for a deposit on the fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back