The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #22,771 of 24,807
Quote:

Ah, sorry. I mean that can I make any irreversible damage to the earspeakers if I get a magnet close to it? (in real life, if one sets it down to a loudspeaker for example)
I am also curious if has any health implications to hold 580V dc on your head for that matter.

One more way to look at this:
Martin Logan makes hybrid loudspeakers with dynamic woofers, power amplifiers, a transformer for the amplifier power supply and a transformer for the electrostatic panel.
All those magnetic fields don't seem to bother the electrostatic panels!

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #22,772 of 24,807
Don't have any pictures... Yet at least. You don't really notice it, but it seems the right side of the frame must have snapped at some point. As a result the left cup can't move/swivel (from side to side), and the left side of the headband adjustment can't be adjusted.

Jun 8, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #22,773 of 24,807
Quote:

I did find it quite funny that nobody had mentioned the earpad being on the wrong way around... 
redface.gif

In other news, the SRS-2170 is f-ing awesome.  Not sure why Stax always make their cheapest Lambda the most balanced of the lot...

What do you mean by balanced?
Quote:
That's great news! As a fan of the SR-202, I had hoped that the SR-207 would be equally good or better, but feared that the SR-202 being so good was simply a lucky one-off. I'm glad to hear that the SRS-2170 system still seems to be a great bargain and entry into the Stax realm.

That's encouraging :).
Quote:
hehe was joking. I use to hate them when I first got them, too bright sounding not enough depth to my music. Fed them with the right amplification and I got it singing.

I love bright sounding phones :D. What do you mean feeding them with the right amp? Does that mean the stock amp that comes with them aren't enough?

Wondering if I should get a 2170 system. Or perhaps just trying to find a Lambda Signature (I'd have to find some other amp with this option). Of course the first is alot cheaper and easier to obtain. If the difference isn't too big, I may just get the 2170. I'll probably be using my portable setup more while the Stax will be the rare occasions I get to sit down for music. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #22,774 of 24,807
I can recommend the Signature :D

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #22,776 of 24,807
Quote:
How's the bass extension on the 2170 system? I know they're no LCD-2, but if I'm used to hear the Mad Dog (LCD-2 esque bass) how much of a change would I be in for?

Nothing wrong with the bass extension but I think you are talking about the bass bloom or slam, not extension.  They are a bit too wooly by my standards but that is the amps fault, not the headphones.  They sound just fine off the BHSE. 

I really don't see why people rave so much about the LCD-2 bass though.  It really does planars a disservice as it is so bloody out of control.  Now put it on the wrong amp (which most people will use) and it's just a wall of bass.  That's hardly the point of the exercise... 

Quote:
Really? Why? I have 2 pairs of SR202 and I feel that they sound as good as my SR407 and sound better than my HE60.

Wachara C.

Same thing here, the 202 is one of the best Lambdas.  The 207 is a bit brighter but not by much. 

As for the HE60, try to move the drivers as far back as you can.  Completely changes the signature. 

Quote:
BTW CDPlayer, you'd better not use benzene as it's a carcinogen. Pretty weird that the manual recommends it.

The manual says not to use benzene as it will melt the plastic...

Quote:
What do you mean by balanced?

Even handed, close to neutral etc. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #22,777 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:
How's the bass extension on the 2170 system? I know they're no LCD-2, but if I'm used to hear the Mad Dog (LCD-2 esque bass) how much of a change would I be in for?

Nothing wrong with the bass extension but I think you are talking about the bass bloom or slam, not extension.  They are a bit too wooly by my standards but that is the amps fault, not the headphones.  They sound just fine off the BHSE. 

I really don't see why people rave so much about the LCD-2 bass though.  It really does planars a disservice as it is so bloody out of control.  Now put it on the wrong amp (which most people will use) and it's just a wall of bass.  That's hardly the point of the exercise...

Put that in the LCD-2 thread and you'll be banned from the thread in an instant.
biggrin.gif

I've heard it on tube amps and I have no idea why anyone would want that kind of sound. "Wall of bass" describes exactly like what I heard.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #22,780 of 24,807
milosz, Michgelsen - thanks for the info; I think I'll stick to the ethanol.

spritzer - in my original post I've included a picture of the instructions printed on the original Stax box, which says, verbatim: "The remaining old double-sided tape should be cleaned by rubbing with absorbent gauze soaked in alcohol or benzene. It can be removed by trimming little by little with the fingertips. Under no circumstances use solvents such as paint thinner."

So benzene is safe (if somewhat stinky). I use it a fair bit for cleaning off residual glue from CD jewel cases, and never had any problems.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #22,781 of 24,807
Then the Stax plastic most be resistant to benzene. That is a good thing...

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #22,782 of 24,807
Benzene is certainly not safe for yourself. Paint thinner is usually toluene, sometimes (with) xylene. Both toluene and xylene are much like benzene, except a little less dangerous for humans but still far from harmless. However, since benzene, toluene and xylene are all pretty similar aromatic hydrocarbons, it doesn't make much sense that one of them would be safe will the other ones should 'under no circumstances' be used..!

So yes, stick to ethanol or isopropanol. For cleaning sticker residue from CD cases I always use isopropanol too, with great results. Jewel cases are made of polystyrene, which is not resistant to aromatic hydrocarbons, so you're lucky to not have had any problems with those (yet).

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #22,783 of 24,807
Quote:
Benzene is certainly not safe for yourself. Paint thinner is usually toluene, sometimes (with) xylene. Both toluene and xylene are much like benzene, except a little less dangerous for humans but still far from harmless. However, since benzene, toluene and xylene are all pretty similar aromatic hydrocarbons, it doesn't make much sense that one of them would be safe will the other ones should 'under no circumstances' be used..!

So yes, stick to ethanol or isopropanol. For cleaning sticker residue from CD cases I always use isopropanol too, with great results. Jewel cases are made of polystyrene, which is not resistant to aromatic hydrocarbons, so you're lucky to not have had any problems with those (yet).

Thanks for the info. I do understand that a lot of the home chemistry isn't good for one's health, so stick to well-ventilated environments and short exposures.

The stuff that I used is sold under the name "Shellite", which I assumed, probably incorrectly, being the same as benzene. If it isn't the same, then that would explain the absense of problems with the CD jewel cases.

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #22,784 of 24,807
*** pissed off now, fired up my 404 this morning only to be greeted by channel imbalance, tried on separate amps and adaptors same problem, left channel is hardly there and I haven't used the 404 in weeks.

Super pissed. Might just sell this one off.

EDIT: Ok retried it again, doesn't seem as much as before, don't know if its the headphones or my cold.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #22,785 of 24,807
Quote:
*** pissed off now, fired up my 404 this morning only to be greeted by channel imbalance, tried on separate amps and adaptors same problem, left channel is hardly there and I haven't used the 404 in weeks.

Super pissed. Might just sell this one off.

EDIT: Ok retried it again, doesn't seem as much as before, don't know if its the headphones or my cold.

Probably the latter. I HATE when a cold mess with my hearing, and I get kinda scared it won't turn back to normal.. Good I got a balance control on the T1 anyway, but on the other hand it trickers my latent ocd. Not good when vocals are often placed a bit to the left or right 
size]

I think I would like just a tad more extension to the bass, actually. Just a little bit more. The bass just isn't enough for the 20 Hz 5 stringed bass in Michael Bublés Home.

On another note I don't think the LCD bass is bad at all. You do make it sound like it sounds like single stringed bass all the way. The bassstage (as in soundstage :p) is a bit crowded, and the bass isn't that tactile, but it isn't bad at all, wall of bass is a bit drastic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back