The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #22,742 of 24,807
Quote:
What would be your 1st, 2nd or 3rd favourite?

I'm guessing in no particular order, Omega, 009 and HE90?

HE90 is my favorite, then 009, then Omega/Omega2 mk1
Quote:
I live in Vancouver. We've got an OK headphone shop here and they sell some really cool stuff, but no Stax. The other big hi-fi stores here do the Linn/Naim thing, but not Stax. Back in the 80's we had a hi-fi store that sold Stax and that's where I got my first and only electret.

It's exclusively classical for me with headphones. And sometimes pretentious electronic stuff. In the car it's another story ... I sort of just listen to Detroit techno from the 80's and 90's with a bit of Echospace and some other over reverbed echoing weird stuff thrown in (Deepchord, Fluxion, etc.). I used to write that sort of stuff, but now I'm all over pretentious electronic music that no one but me will ever hear!

So it seems for the genre I like best (chamber music, contemporary classical), it's the SR-009. OK! Time to start selling and saving I think.

You should definitely go to a meet sometime.  I'm sure there's somebody that goes to the Vancouver meets that has some Stax for you to audition.

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #22,745 of 24,807
I wil try and check this stuff out first before I buy and since I need to prepare my life (sell, save, give up something!) for such a big purchase, I will have time to mull everything over. I missed the meet that was here last month, so hopefully one will come up again.

I might jam out too and go for the non-TOTL option 
size]

I'm afraid of the BHSE.

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #22,747 of 24,807
Jun 8, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #22,748 of 24,807
@CDPlayer - Which pads did you go with?  My 4070 pads look great, but they sure feel pretty thin and worn out... I've considered a re-pad to improve comfort.
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I'll try to use an old credit card to scrape off most of the residue, and then clean with ethanol. Actually, the box with the 507 pads has printed instrustions on it, which recommend ethanol or benzene.

For your enjoyment, here's probably the only 4070 with different pads on (I just can't get myself to torture my fingers doing the second driver at this point):

Jun 8, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #22,751 of 24,807
Quote:
He used the 507 pads.

Correct. And considering that I stuck the first pad onto the wrong driver, I just oredered a second set (from audiocubes2, because PriceJapan told me these are backordered at the dealer they are buying from, with ETA of 4 *MONTHS*).

I'm guessing that the fact the the instruction steps for replacing pads are written bottom up (step #1 is at the bottom, see picture I posted) didn't help the matters. :) Anyway, live and learn, and hopefully my fingers that I buggered up trying to get the residual glue off will heal by the time I get the replacements, so double win. :)

Jun 8, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #22,753 of 24,807
Quote:

Correct. And considering that I stuck the first pad onto the wrong driver, I just oredered a second set (from audiocubes2, because PriceJapan told me these are backordered at the dealer they are buying from, with ETA of 4 *MONTHS*).

I'm guessing that the fact the the instruction steps for replacing pads are written bottom up (step #1 is at the bottom, see picture I posted) didn't help the matters. :) Anyway, live and learn, and hopefully my fingers that I buggered up trying to get the residual glue off will heal by the time I get the replacements, so double win. :)

I did find it quite funny that nobody had mentioned the earpad being on the wrong way around... 
redface.gif

In other news, the SRS-2170 is f-ing awesome.  Not sure why Stax always make their cheapest Lambda the most balanced of the lot...

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #22,754 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:

I did find it quite funny that nobody had mentioned the earpad being on the wrong way around... 
redface.gif

In other news, the SRS-2170 is f-ing awesome.  Not sure why Stax always make their cheapest Lambda the most balanced of the lot...

How's the bass extension on the 2170 system? I know they're no LCD-2, but if I'm used to hear the Mad Dog (LCD-2 esque bass) how much of a change would I be in for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back