The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #22,726 of 24,807
Quote:
The lesser setup seems very prudent, but I'm not sure. I might end up just selling it and going for the TOTL Stax in the end. It is the journey though.

Some more background: With the SR-007 I was thinking about the 727II and I was already to go for that combo, but then read the the non-NFB design was sort of sucky, and then I read the unmodded 727 was OK with the SR-009. After about 200 pages of comments here and at other forums, looking at the mod, etc. I got very confused. I take it that amp design for electrostatics is far more important than dynamics, but I'm unsure of the physics behind this.

Would those who have heard the SR-009 with an unmodded SRM-727II consider it a good choice for acoustic music? It's 7K'ish worth of audio gear so I would think so!

It seems that the SR-007 is really not worth it? ... I should just get the SR-009 or a Lambda?

Thanks for pointers. Also, I'm super serious about this and would not have to ask questions if I could actually listen to a setup. No one sells Stax where I live. I was thinking of travelling to actually hear the gear first!

I prefer the SR009s over the SR007s by a good margin (especially over the SR007 MKII). And the SRM727II was my first amp with the SR009s and I thought it was a darn good pairing. Enough to obliterate my HD800/LCD-3s from my GS-X. That said, they SR009s did improve on imaging, detail, clarity and control since I picked up my HeadAmp KGSS.

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #22,727 of 24,807
Quote:

I prefer the SR009s over the SR007s by a good margin (especially over the SR007 MKII). And the SRM727II was my first amp with the SR009s and I thought it was a darn good pairing. Enough to obliterate my HD800/LCD-3s from my GS-X. That said, they SR009s did improve on imaging, detail, clarity and control since I picked up my HeadAmp KGSS.

How much would you say was the improvement between the 009+727 pairing over your HD800+GS-X pairing? I could appreciate some more information with regards to the bass presence/response as well.

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #22,728 of 24,807
Quote:
How much would you say was the improvement between the 009+727 pairing over your HD800+GS-X pairing? I could appreciate some more information with regards to the bass presence/response as well.

Substantial. But with the KGSS, I'd say in a whole new class. Baka1969 was here in Toronto for a visit a few weeks back and he's a BIG HD800 fan, but admitted the SR009s were in a new league over them. I gotta agree with him. 
size]

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #22,729 of 24,807
Quote:
The lesser setup seems very prudent, but I'm not sure. I might end up just selling it and going for the TOTL Stax in the end. It is the journey though.

Some more background: With the SR-007 I was thinking about the 727II and I was already to go for that combo, but then read the the non-NFB design was sort of sucky, and then I read the unmodded 727 was OK with the SR-009. After about 200 pages of comments here and at other forums, looking at the mod, etc. I got very confused. I take it that amp design for electrostatics is far more important than dynamics, but I'm unsure of the physics behind this.

Would those who have heard the SR-009 with an unmodded SRM-727II consider it a good choice for acoustic music? It's 7K'ish worth of audio gear so I would think so!

It seems that the SR-007 is really not worth it? ... I should just get the SR-009 or a Lambda?

Thanks for pointers. Also, I'm super serious about this and would not have to ask questions if I could actually listen to a setup. No one sells Stax where I live. I was thinking of travelling to actually hear the gear first!

I loved the SR-009 + unmodded 727ii for acoustic music, it literally knocked every headphone I had out of the park in this genre (and classical).

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #22,732 of 24,807
Quote:
Come on dudes, $1.5k vs $4.5k headphone lols. Dynamic vs Electrostatic technology. Although there sound tonal signature is similar it's apples and bananas comparison.

I know, it's a generation in terms of performance, but leave some room for those of us who have not had the chance to hear the stat smoothness :D.
Quote:

and how much improvement between the 009+717 paring over something like 009 + BHSE/KGSV? That´s my doubt
confused_face(1).gif

I've been kinda temperamental about the comparison as well...not quite ready to sell off all of my gear, and not quite to acquire a one system setup; yet super excited to hear the stats perform to their best.

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #22,733 of 24,807
Quote:
Come on dudes, $1.5k vs $4.5k headphone lols. Dynamic vs Electrostatic technology. Although there sound tonal signature is similar it's apples and bananas comparison.

Neutral sounding headphones vs. neutral sounding headphones can very much be compared. That's kinda what we do here on Head-fi. 
size]

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #22,735 of 24,807
Quote:
Substantial. But with the KGSS, I'd say in a whole new class. Baka1969 was here in Toronto for a visit a few weeks back and he's a BIG HD800 fan, but admitted the SR009s were in a new league over them. I gotta agree with him. 
size]

Oooh. I wish you lived in Vancouver.

So it seems I need to look at this SR-009/727 for starters. OK. Wish someone could tell me the SR-007 were "good enuf" 
size]

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #22,736 of 24,807
Oooh. I wish you lived in Vancouver.

So it seems I need to look at this SR-009/727 for starters. OK. Wish someone could tell me the SR-007 were "good enuf" 
size]

Sorry, other side of The Great White North. :)

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #22,737 of 24,807
Quote:

The 727 is the only Stax SS amp without global feedback.  There's a mod to change this, and after the mod you should have an amp that's supposed to be pretty similar to the KGSS.  People say the stock 727 sounds off, and when I get mine here soon I'm definitely modding it.

The SR-007 is an amazing headphone...the mk1 version is my 3rd or 4th favorite headphone ever still.  I was simply recommending the SR-009 based on what you said your preferences were originally.  If you only listened to rock, metal, or hip hop then I probably would have recommended it instead.   The SR-009 really excels with classical.

Where do you live? 

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #22,738 of 24,807
SR-009 with Woo GES likely to be a good choice, based on the KGTT design. Cheaper than the 007 too.
Kerry built one and remember reading somewhere he is very happy with it.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #22,740 of 24,807
Quote:
The 727 is the only Stax SS amp without global feedback.  There's a mod to change this, and after the mod you should have an amp that's supposed to be pretty similar to the KGSS.  People say the stock 727 sounds off, and when I get mine here soon I'm definitely modding it.

The SR-007 is an amazing headphone...the mk1 version is my 3rd or 4th favorite headphone ever still.  I was simply recommending the SR-009 based on what you said your preferences were originally.  If you only listened to rock, metal, or hip hop then I probably would have recommended it instead.   The SR-009 really excels with classical.

Where do you live? 

I live in Vancouver. We've got an OK headphone shop here and they sell some really cool stuff, but no Stax. The other big hi-fi stores here do the Linn/Naim thing, but not Stax. Back in the 80's we had a hi-fi store that sold Stax and that's where I got my first and only electret.

It's exclusively classical for me with headphones. And sometimes pretentious electronic stuff. In the car it's another story ... I sort of just listen to Detroit techno from the 80's and 90's with a bit of Echospace and some other over reverbed echoing weird stuff thrown in (Deepchord, Fluxion, etc.). I used to write that sort of stuff, but now I'm all over pretentious electronic music that no one but me will ever hear!

So it seems for the genre I like best (chamber music, contemporary classical), it's the SR-009. OK! Time to start selling and saving I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back