The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #22,711 of 24,807
Jun 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #22,712 of 24,807
Stax has no magnets...

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #22,713 of 24,807
Jun 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #22,714 of 24,807
Wonder if it has any heatlh implications...

Tomorrow I'll join the club if I am satisfied with the T1 and Lambda Signature. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #22,715 of 24,807
Wonder if it has any heatlh implications...

Tomorrow I'll join the club if I am satisfied with the T1 and Lambda Signature. 

You could argue what's worse, putting a varying Magnetic Field close to your brain, or putting a varying Electric Field close to your brain!

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #22,716 of 24,807
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I'll try to use an old credit card to scrape off most of the residue, and then clean with ethanol. Actually, the box with the 507 pads has printed instrustions on it, which recommend ethanol or benzene.

For your enjoyment, here's probably the only 4070 with different pads on (I just can't get myself to torture my fingers doing the second driver at this point):

...which in itself is an interesting experience - to my ears both sides sound very much the same - right with the original pad and foam dust protector and left with the leather pad and nylon mesh (?) dust protector. But hey, I never said I had golden ears. :wink:

And here's a snapshot of the instructions.

One more question - looking at he picture, does the elastic on the support bad seems to be stretched too much? The reason I'm asking is they feel too low on my head when I put them on. The 007 I have expose visibly more elastic, but sit on my head very nicely...

P.S. And yes, I see that I've stuck the right pad on the left driver. Bugger. :)

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #22,718 of 24,807
Really want to try the 4070 someday, apparantly fujiya avic sells them for around 75000 yen but I'm not sure if its discontinued or so. Not to mention they don't ship internationally at all.

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #22,719 of 24,807
Quote:
Really want to try the 4070 someday, apparantly fujiya avic sells them for around 75000 yen but I'm not sure if its discontinued or so. Not to mention they don't ship internationally at all.

4070 been discontinued for a good while. Took me a fair bit of patience and luck to track my pair down. Considering that you're in Mel, so we could get together someday, no prob. I'd love to check out your Omegas, too.

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #22,720 of 24,807
True, this is what I don't get whether it's still being sold by Fujiya Avic or not??

I know it's discontinued but check this out:

http://fujiya-avic.co.jp/products/detail1422.html

With regards the Omega's I sold them a month ago, but I can still "listen" to them when I want to as I sold it to a good friend of mine who went to long lengths of buying it overseas for me.

Planning to sell off everything I have currently in my possession, probably $1.2k for all the Stax gear I own and such. I'm done with this hobby.

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #22,722 of 24,807
Yeah what can you do? The current economy is going to schit, unemployment rate rising not to mention the clusterfk of a government we currently have with Gillard leading the clowns and the opposition just as worse. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #22,723 of 24,807
Sorry to pop the ballon but that's the price fujiya will pay for to grab these from your hands, not the other way around... And lucky you, they're now in 10% up campaign so they'll give you 50 bucks extra for it or so :).

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #22,724 of 24,807
Quote:
Sorry to pop the ballon but that's the price fujiya will pay for to grab these from your hands, not the other way around... And lucky you, they're now in 10% up campaign so they'll give you 50 bucks extra for it or so
smily_headphones1.gif

Ohhhh, I thought something was kind of fishy with the prices as if they will sell a SR-007 for 80,000 yen. 
size]

Google translate sucks, thanks for the interpretation Arnaud.

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #22,725 of 24,807
Quote:
Btw, when I compared the LCD2 and HD600 it was in terms of tonality/frequency response neutrality only - not bass impact, detail, or anything else.

If you end up getting one of the Stax tube amps (one of the SRM-T1 variants or the SRM-006), they pair very well with the Lambdas.  I would recommend the SR-Lambda (~$275), the SR-Lambda Signature (~$475), and the SR-Lambda Nova Signature (~$475).  All are very good headphones and will showcase the Stax sound.  You could use one of them until the SR-009 arrives and it pairs pretty well with those tube amps as well.  The SR-007 however doesn't pair very well with the Stax tube amps, so that would change your upgrade path if you decide to go down that road.

The lesser setup seems very prudent, but I'm not sure. I might end up just selling it and going for the TOTL Stax in the end. It is the journey though.

Some more background: With the SR-007 I was thinking about the 727II and I was already to go for that combo, but then read the the non-NFB design was sort of sucky, and then I read the unmodded 727 was OK with the SR-009. After about 200 pages of comments here and at other forums, looking at the mod, etc. I got very confused. I take it that amp design for electrostatics is far more important than dynamics, but I'm unsure of the physics behind this.

Would those who have heard the SR-009 with an unmodded SRM-727II consider it a good choice for acoustic music? It's 7K'ish worth of audio gear so I would think so!

It seems that the SR-007 is really not worth it? ... I should just get the SR-009 or a Lambda?

Thanks for pointers. Also, I'm super serious about this and would not have to ask questions if I could actually listen to a setup. No one sells Stax where I live. I was thinking of travelling to actually hear the gear first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back