The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #21,902 of 24,807
Quote:
Human ears are extreme sensitive to some distortions: break-in difference (IMD?), jitter distortion etc 

And the proof that solder joints of all things actually cause these distortions, and that they are still audible.....?

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #21,904 of 24,807
Quote:
Not worth it man....

I suspect you are right, but a man can dream......

Quote:
Yeh, I think that could be a problem, especially since I started getting therapeutic ear candling...

Oh, and I just wanted to add that ear candling is not only a complete load of steaming camel poo, but also really dangerous.

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #21,905 of 24,807
Back on topic, I think it's about time to get new pads for my beloved normal bias Lambdas.

Trouble is I now have three options.
I can either have NOS old version black ones (like on SR202 for instance), I can have the current ones with the separate mesh (like SR207) or I might try the leather pads like SR507.

Anybody experimented with that? I am sure there is a difference, but it might be the opposite of what I expect.

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #21,906 of 24,807
I have three different pads (SR-202, SR-303, and SR-507) for my Lambda SR-303 and honestly? The leather pads absolutely blow away all the rest. No contest.

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #21,907 of 24,807
I have the 207 pads and they are more firm and soft than the NOS more stiff leather. They also provide a better seal and the removable mesh guard is a plus compared to the foam on the NOS 202 ones which can easily tear and disintegrate.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #21,908 of 24,807
Quote:
Haha, engineers love to quantify the unquantifiable... Expressing your opinion as a single number seems succinct and to the point, two traits sometimes missing on HF.

I think the problem on HF is that people are trying to quantify the unquantifiable.  Price is the biggest evil in this regard as things that cost the same must be of equal performance... right? 

If there had ever been a real Canjam after the one in Chicago then I would have brought a simple test for people to try out.  Two identical boxes that are completely sealed.  One containing a sub par and and one containing a well designed one.  It would have been interesting to see how many people could actually pick the better one... 

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #21,912 of 24,807
Just another +1 for Price Japan.  The wife wanted a holiday in Japan last week on the strength (well, weakness then) of the Yen.  Seeing an opportunity to avoid import duty where I live, I asked Price Japan to deliver a 727A to our hotel in Fukuoka. They did.  At the right time, courier & insurance included in their 5%, for US$1200.  Impressive service, lovely amp, now for that Spritzer mod.....

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #21,913 of 24,807
Quote:
Tried to roll up solder joint - can't ignite it. How did you smoke them?!

I should take this opportunity to warn you against smoking lead solder. It is indeed a very dangerous practice. Long-term use will lead to chronic headaches and other symptoms of lead poisoning! I learnt this the hard way and it is for this reason I have turned to ear candling; I find it works reasonably well in relieving my headaches, and on the occasions my face does not get horribly burnt it is actually quite relaxing. Please ignore what the FDA says, it is not a form of quakery.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #21,914 of 24,807
Got the Stax 407 demo off Headamp, and I'm completely blown away. No doubt, technicallu the best headphone I've heard outside of the LCD2, and I only prefer the LCD2 due to it's warm colorization. The 407 is beautifully transparent, and extremely clean sounding without sounding sterile.

I've heard that the 507 is kind of bright. The 407 to me is actually quite neutral. The treble is well extended, but even with bright recordings, I don't get any fatigue. Basically the best treble I have ever heard on any headphone, period. I also heard the bass was supposed to be light. I appreciate my bass like any other person, yet, I don't find the bass lacking. It sounds neutrak. Quick and textured. Not slammy, but true to the recording.

Question, and only a question, what speaker amp could I pair with something like this? That SRM252S amp is quite small, and I don't know how well it could drive other Stax models. I think my next step is Stax, but I don't wanna pay an ungodly amount of money for an electrostatic amp if speaker taps would do me fine. If I could run it off my Marantz receiver's speaker taps, that'd be swell too...

http://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-Mini-x--100-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B008O37FOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366428083&sr=8-1&keywords=emotiva+speaker+amp

Something like that?

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #21,915 of 24,807
Quote:
Got the Stax 407 demo off Headamp, and I'm completely blown away. No doubt, technicallu the best headphone I've heard outside of the LCD2, and I only prefer the LCD2 due to it's warm colorization. The 407 is beautifully transparent, and extremely clean sounding without sounding sterile.

I've heard that the 507 is kind of bright. The 407 to me is actually quite neutral. The treble is well extended, but even with bright recordings, I don't get any fatigue. Basically the best treble I have ever heard on any headphone, period. I also heard the bass was supposed to be light. I appreciate my bass like any other person, yet, I don't find the bass lacking. It sounds neutrak. Quick and textured. Not slammy, but true to the recording.

Question, and only a question, what speaker amp could I pair with something like this? That SRM252S amp is quite small, and I don't know how well it could drive other Stax models. I think my next step is Stax, but I don't wanna pay an ungodly amount of money for an electrostatic amp if speaker taps would do me fine. If I could run it off my Marantz receiver's speaker taps, that'd be swell too...

The 507 is slightly brighter than the 407 - nothing ear shredding though. Also you've loved the 990 in the past, there won't be any "treble" you can't handle 
tongue_smile.gif
. The bass I feel is quite better than the 407, but not worth the 500 bucks difference if you buy retail. Importing from Japan is another matter though.

To drive Stax off speaker tap, you'll need an adapter (Woo Wee or the Stax SRD 7). However it's better to shell out money for a real dedicated amplifier (considering the WEE is 400 or 500 bucks, and the SRD7 isn't always there on ebay; while a 323s from pricejapan is around 700 only). You wouldn't need a KGSS/LL/BHSE for the 407; just a 323s or 006t will do. I'm driving the 507 with a 323s and got no complain. The thing even got a loop out so I can use my lampi (only 1 single ended out) with my dynamic setup also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back