The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #21,856 of 24,807
Originally Posted by eric65 

[size=8.5pt]Hello.[/size]

[size=8.5pt]I researched a bit on the original operation of the headset amplifier AudioValve RKV Mark2 (OTL tube amp.)[/size]
[size=8.5pt]This amplifier OTL would own a specific circuit based on operational amplifiers, solid state regulating the operation of tubes (which would work optimally regardless of their degree of aging), knowing that it is not necessary to match the tubes. These basic tubes (originally intended for __af_placement_id--[AFF-PLACEMENT-ID].html]television sets) would not intervene in the sound quality (NB: these are solid state operational amplifiers that define the intrinsic characteristics of amplification and sound quality of RKV) and their replacement by more upscale tubes (and more expensive) would be of little interest, except the risk of destabilizing the system compared to the original tubes. [/size]

[size=8.5pt]The RKV has some very interesting features to run high-impedance headphones and high-definition as ]Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 800 and of course the Stax headphones (SR 507 and SR 009) via WooAudio WEE adapter. [/size]
[size=8.5pt]It gives these headphones a very "punchy" bass[/size]
[size=8.5pt]It gives these headphone heat and body to midrange it "humanizes"[/size]
[size=8.5pt]Finally it softens the treble and makes it enjoyable to listen to even when recording a little hard in treble, but at the cost of a slight loss of transparency in the register, it is true. [/size]

[size=8.5pt]It is therefore understandable why this amplifier RKV blends so well with the headphones mentioned above, very transparent headphones, but sometimes hard in treble or missing body (and heat) in the midrange, or lack of presence or punch in the bass. [/size]
[size=8.5pt]Finally, this amplifier gives these headphones a very broad and rich soundstage with lots of ventilation and openness. [/size]

[size=8.5pt]What happiness with the 009, but that I've already mentioned. [/size]

[size=8.5pt]Eric[/size]

Quote:

Thanks for your impressions eric, I will be driving an 009 with a WEE as well. But I am having trouble with one of your terms; what is is meant by transparent "helmet"?

Hello grokit

Transparent to the sound or headphone = defined = resolved = detailed, especially in the treble.

Eric

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #21,857 of 24,807
Quote:
About how much does it cost in parts to build a BHSE?

Justin can answer that. (and I doubt that he will)
One must also consider that the parts are cheaper when bought in quantity.

I'm building an "old school" Blue Hawaii, not the Special Edition.
Only HeadAmp builds those. They use proprietary boards and very slick enclosures.

My DIY BH will look nowhere as nice as the HeadAmp product, hopefully it will function well.
Parts cost: $1000

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #21,859 of 24,807
Quote:
Electrostatic headphones are just like dynamic headphones,

Yeah, aside from the fact that electrostatics are totally different, they are very similar.

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #21,863 of 24,807
Still really like the modded SRXIII Pro from anthonyfirst.  They have a slight upper mid harshness or peak but their general neutrality makes everything sound very fresh and new and makes me want to listen to old material for a fresh take.  They seem extremely dynamic or what some people like to call PRAT (pace, rhythm and timing).  I note they are more efficient than any other stat I have except to SR003. Possibly this gives them their great dynamics.

In fact about the only difficulty with them is that when I try to snooze with them, something I like to do with phones on, they keep me awake because I can't stop tapping my feet to the music.

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #21,864 of 24,807
For grokit (and Eric):
Helmet and headset are the same writing and pronounciation in french (casque). So we understand which one is being referred to during the conversation by context (just like in Japanese conversation where this often occurs).

Now, for a conversation during which someone talks about how great one's helmet feels when riding his bike while listening to music through one's fantastic headset, then we might get confused :).

Arnaud

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #21,866 of 24,807
Quote:
For grokit (and Eric):
Helmet and headset are the same writing and pronounciation in french (casque). So we understand which one is being referred to during the conversation by context (just like in Japanese conversation where this often occurs).

Now, for a conversation during which someone talks about how great one's helmet feels when riding his bike while listening to music through one's fantastic headset, then we might get confused
smily_headphones1.gif

Arnaud

Thanks, I get it now!
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #21,867 of 24,807
Quote:
Electrostatic headphones take 1500-2000 hours to fully break-in, just like dynamic headphones,

after break-in, the sound will be smoother, more air, more transparent.

No offence but that is rubbish. Sure you can have a few hours of charge up on a pair of electrostats that haven't had use since the dawn of daylight rectify some problems such as low sound volume output or slight humming etc and a full charge up will fix some of these problems but there are no moving parts so no requirement of a full break-in or burn-in. You're comparing a dynamic driver to a stator, apples and bananas comparison.

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #21,869 of 24,807
Quote:
No offence but that is rubbish. Sure you can have a few hours of charge up on a pair of electrostats that haven't had use since the dawn of daylight rectify some problems such as low sound volume output or slight humming etc and a full charge up will fix some of these problems but there are no moving parts so no requirement of a full break-in or burn-in. You're comparing a dynamic driver to a stator, apples and bananas comparison.

LOL, ok I'm not going to argue with you,
at least the headphone cable, needs 100-200 hours to break-in, like other IC's.

of course the cable don't have any moving parts too,but ....it needs break-in indeed
(just curious,who told you "only moving parts need break-in"?even a new solder joint, sounds different after few ten hours)

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #21,870 of 24,807
Quote:
(just curious,who told you "only moving parts need break-in"?even a new solder joint, sounds different after few ten hours)

Yes, I can see how the low voltage/current through a solder joint is a very potent way to change its properties. Melting it with a soldering iron in the first instance just isn't enough applied energy to get the job fully done.

No wait, I was wrong, that is close to the dumbest thing I have ever typed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back