The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #21,842 of 24,807
Mine are still 'breaking-in" after 25+ years...takes lots of dedicated listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #21,845 of 24,807
They don't need break in since the Mylar is stretched at a set tension and keeps shape at earthly temperatures.  The "break in" occurs during stress testing at Stax to weed out any faulty units.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #21,846 of 24,807
Head Amp three ratings with different phones with thinkers ears
100 =is best wich i have heard and behind me are probably the best amps
Stax Lambda series headphones 92/100  nice but not best
Stax Omega  85/100 too weak to get sonic bliss airy without punch
Grado   100/100 excellent
Sennheiser HD-800 110/100 mind-boggling probably the best amp for HD-800 under the sun
Audeze 100/100 nice/planars do not make huge differences with top amps
I prefer this amp with dynamics and planars.The performance with HD-800 is something wich should be heard by yourself
and best on 4 pin connection and interestingly stock HD-800 cable was best better than Cardas clear and Toxic cables on this amp.
This amp has long tone delay and colors and very silky magic mids wich is excellent food for HD-800.The 3D imaging of this amp is unbelievable
with HD-800.One of the most neutral and detailed tube amp around and easy to use.You can fry eggs on the top plate when the amp got it's running temperature
Is this amp worth the price?yes it is, it's much better than i described above

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #21,847 of 24,807
Looking for some opinions here.  I've done lots of reading and searching already.  I have a completely rebuilt srm1-mk2.  How would this compare to the T1?  The T1 is appealing because it has both pro and normal plugs, but I can add a pro plug (and plan to) to my srm1mk2 to solve the usability issue.

Should I bother getting the a T1 that I might have to replace parts and tubes for, or save my money for a lambda signature if it ever comes up?  lol.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #21,850 of 24,807
Quote:
really? for a standard bias lamda ?
i saw one go for 100 USD here a month or so ago.

I've been monitoring ebay for over a year now on Stax vintages etc, the prices last year was a lot less expensive than when a Lambda does pop up now on ebay. The last one sold while ago which was the last one I saw was sold for $400 and the condition was crap. It was auction bidding though.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #21,851 of 24,807
ECC99 Tube Upgrade for SRM 007T

Hi Stax Experts,

I've got an early version 007T (with 2 pro sockets and 1 normal).  If I use an adapter to replace the 6CG7 tubes with ECC99, will I need to change any resistor values or make any other mods?

Where does this mod rank in terms of performance compared to other amps/mods.
Let's say the BHSE is a perfect score of 100.
How would you score the ECC99 Mod? 6S4A mod? Stock 007T? Stock 600 Limited?

Thanks for any input.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #21,852 of 24,807
Here is a picture (few more details on the following pages)

You can only fit 6S4A tubes in the 007t, the ECC99 is for the SRMT1(S) and 006t amps and the SRM600 is the factory-made version of those.

What you get is less congestion at high volumes but it is still essentially the same amp so still far from something like a BHSE.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #21,853 of 24,807
[size=8.5pt]Hello.[/size]

[size=8.5pt]I researched a bit on the original operation of the headset amplifier AudioValve RKV Mark2 (OTL tube amp.)[/size]
[size=8.5pt]This amplifier OTL would own a specific circuit based on operational amplifiers, solid state regulating the operation of tubes (which would work optimally regardless of their degree of aging), knowing that it is not necessary to match the tubes. These basic tubes (originally intended for television sets) would not intervene in the sound quality (NB: these are solid state operational amplifiers that define the intrinsic characteristics of amplification and sound quality of RKV) and their replacement by more upscale tubes (and more expensive) would be of little interest, except the risk of destabilizing the system compared to the original tubes. [/size]

[size=8.5pt]The RKV has some very interesting features to run high-impedance headphones and high-definition as Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 800 and of course the Stax headphones (SR 507 and SR 009) via WooAudio WEE adapter. [/size]
[size=8.5pt]It gives these headphones a very "punchy" bass[/size]
[size=8.5pt]It gives these helmets heat and body to medium it "humanizes"[/size]
[size=8.5pt]Finally it softens the treble and makes it enjoyable to listen to even when recording a little hard in treble, but at the cost of a slight loss of transparency in the register, it is true. [/size]

[size=8.5pt]It is therefore understandable why this amplifier RKV blends so well with the headphones mentioned above, very transparent helmets, but sometimes hard in treble or missing body (and heat) in the medium (and high medium), or lack of presence or punch in the bass. [/size]
[size=8.5pt]Finally, this amplifier gives these headphones a very broad and rich soundstage with lots of ventilation and openness. [/size]

[size=8.5pt]What happiness with the 009, but that I've already mentioned. [/size]

[size=8.5pt]Eric[/size]

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #21,855 of 24,807
Quote:
[size=8.5pt]Hello.[/size]

[size=8.5pt]I researched a bit on the original operation of the headset amplifier AudioValve RKV Mark2 (OTL tube amp.)[/size]
[size=8.5pt]This amplifier OTL would own a specific circuit based on operational amplifiers, solid state regulating the operation of tubes (which would work optimally regardless of their degree of aging), knowing that it is not necessary to match the tubes. These basic tubes (originally intended for television sets) would not intervene in the sound quality (NB: these are the amps opp defining the intrinsic characteristics of the sound amplifier RKV) and their replacement by more upscale tubes (and more expensive) would be of little interest, except the risk of destabilizing the system compared to the original tubes. [/size]

[size=8.5pt]The RKV has some very interesting features to run high-impedance headphones and high-definition as Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 800 and of course the Stax headphones (SR 507 and SR 009) via WooAudio WEE adapter. [/size]
[size=8.5pt]It gives these headphones a very "punchy" bass[/size]
[size=8.5pt]It gives these helmets heat and body to medium it "humanizes"[/size]
[size=8.5pt]Finally it softens the treble and makes it enjoyable to listen to even when recording a little hard in treble, but at the cost of a slight loss of transparency in the register, it is true. [/size]

[size=8.5pt]It is therefore understandable why this amplifier RKV blends so well with the headphones mentioned above, very transparent helmets, but sometimes hard in treble or missing body (and heat) in the medium (and high medium), or lack of presence or punch in the bass. [/size]
[size=8.5pt]Finally, this amplifier gives these headphones a very broad and rich soundstage with lots of ventilation and openness. [/size]

[size=8.5pt]What happiness with the 009, but that I've already mentioned. [/size]

[size=8.5pt]Eric[/size]

Thanks for your impressions eric, I will be driving an 009 with a WEE as well. But I am having trouble with one of your terms; what is is meant by transparent "helmet"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back