The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #21,781 of 24,807
Referring to the recent posts about the 507's being bright - I don't agree. I have 507's and Lambda LNS and they are different - the LNS have a 'warmer' balance while the 507's can deliver a bit more 'detail' and slam. But if you partner 507's with a CD player (or digital signal) that is 'edgy' in the treble, out through a 'bright' solid state amp, connected together with 'bright' sounding interconnects and the Stax amps ( SRM 1, etc.) can only go so far in taming that system 'brightness'.

The point I'm making, I hope, is that you should not assume any particular Stax headphone is right or wrong for you until you've tried it in your own system. I know that's difficult in many cases, but when you're spending fair amounts of money, you need to get it right.

A friend of mine tried 007's  through his system and they sounded pretty crap. We all know they are not, but in his warm sounding solid state system with an SRM1, they did. Poor dynamics, ploddy bass. Does that make the 007's a poor choice? For him- yes.

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #21,785 of 24,807
Two questions:

• Is it a driver unit or an energizer? I seem to be finding conflicting reports between whether it will operate directly from a DAC or if it needs another amplifier behind it to function.
  • Is the output sound reasonably good for the going cost for it (seems to be about ~$200)? You don't seem to like it that much, judging from this post by you in 2010;

n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...] I've never heard a transformer based Stax rig that sounded as good as one with a dedicated Stax amp.  I'd take the lowly SRM-1 MKII over them.

What transformers have you heard, driven by what amps? [...]

The Stax transformers, namely SRD6/SRD7/SRDP [...] There is a lack of detail and exagerrated dynamics (almost a boominess) that is portrayed regardless of the power amp driving the transformer...might as well go for dynamic HPs in that case. :)

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #21,786 of 24,807
They're transformers.  I'm not crazy about transformers vs direct drive amps, but they have their places: 1. for those on a budget 2. portable use.  I wouldn't expect any portable to sound amazing due to the drive requirements and tiny market.

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #21,787 of 24,807
I'm still interested, and of course it's not going to be the end all be all because it's essentially a variation of double-amping, but is it competitive at its price range?

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #21,788 of 24,807
It sounds like the SRD transformers.  For somebody that is working within a budget I think it's a good option since there aren't many to begin with in that price range.  For somebody that wants something portable it's about the only option unless you want to carry a backpack with an amp and large battery...but then that's a different price range and a hassle.  General consensus on transformers vs amps is that transformers give up some detail and gain some impact.

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #21,789 of 24,807
I think KG might have a backpack system actually now that I think about it.
etysmile.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #21,791 of 24,807
how the heck did you blow your amp?

[size=small]I received the [/size][size=small]Anker® Astro3 10000mAh External Backup Battery Pack on April 10th, 2013. I purchased this product for the purposes of using an electrostatic amplifier rated at 12V 4W (by my estimates, approximately 300-400mA) DC input power portably as opposed to keeping it powered in a stationary setting via a wall-wart. This amplifier is not battery-operated and relies on an outside power supply to operate.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Unfortunately, it seems as though your product has irreversibly damaged my amplifier in question. This damage occurred at some point on April 12, 2013 in the process of acquiring a properly fitting DC cable at my local Radio Shack using their Adaptacable standard cable with replaceable DC tips. Upon finding tips suitable for both products (specifically, a tip matching the "C" tip included with your product for your product, and an "N" tip for my amplifier), the battery was plugged into an outlet using the wall wart included with your product inserted into the "input" of your product, the "C" tip was inserted into the "output" of your product, and the "N" tip was inserted into my amplifier. 

The battery and amplifier were then turned on and immediately began to noticeably malfunction, with the LED for the "12V" selector on the battery repeatedly flashing on and off, and the amplifier's "on" LED not activating despite the power switch being flipped to the "on" position. Within a few moments, my amplifier began to smell of smoke, upon which both devices were disconnected and the amplifier inspected by the manager of the Radio Shack by disassembling the case and inspecting the inside circuitry of the amplifier. Upon inspection, no visible damage was present, despite the now very noticeable odor of smoke. The amplifier was then tested to visibly power on properly with the actual wall wart used with the amplifier, although the output sound was not tested. A variation of other tip selections were then tested, with a similar result on the battery end each time but without such an event reoccurring with the amplifier.

Your customer service department was then contacted, the time being at this point approximately 4:40 PST. The customer service rep, to his credit, was very helpful in his effort to find a solution to my problem, and gave me some details pertaining to it; your product is apparently not designed to power devices that are not battery-operated, despite the fact that this detail is not mentioned explicitly or otherwise anywhere in the manual or  online product documentation, or product packaging to my knowledge. Your customer service representative then gave me instructions as to how to bypass a fail-safe in the battery that prevents the battery from apparently providing power to any product that is not battery-operated, that consisted of drawing approximately 80mA from one of the two USB ports on the battery and then attempting to draw power at the same time from the DC output on the battery. These instructions were followed shortly afterwards, uneventfully and to no avail.

I then left the Radio Shack without purchasing a product and proceeded back to my home. Upon arriving, I reconnected my amplifier to my home audio system in the fashion it was connected before it was disassembled prior to taking the unit to the Radio Shack, and attempted to play media through the amplifier to a pair of "ear-speakers", only to find that the output audio was massively distorted to the point of being unlistenable. Even after reconnecting my gear to itself in a variety if different ways, the end result was the same; at the time of writing, the amplifier is no longer functional in any way except for the LED indicating power status; however, the battery itself is still perfectly functional.
[/size]

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #21,792 of 24,807
Interesting and what amp is this that's damaged? SRD-P or ? 

It may be possible that it could've blown something on the circuit board, maybe try opening it up carefully to confirm any shorts or burnt spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back