The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #21,092 of 24,807
Quote:
there are usually some on Yahoo Japan

Bored so I checked... there's hardly any stax on there right now compared to what I recall it was like years ago. Incidentally some guy's selling new 507s for 66150JPY which is about USD50 more than the price ALSO mentioned.

Quote:
Found a used pair of 404LEs for about US$430.  Is this better than paying full price for a 507 or 407 (w/507 pads)?

Looks like a decent price, and probably cheaper than 407s + 507 pads. I'd buy them :wink:

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #21,093 of 24,807
Quote:
Looks like a decent price, and probably cheaper than 407s + 507 pads. I'd buy them :wink:

Thanks.  Am looking through threads for impressions on the sound differences between 404LE and 507.  Seems to be trending toward 404LE, for significantly less than a new pair of 507s, although I don't know what kind of shape the used pair are in, other than the seller's claim that it's in good shape.  But it's Audio Union, and they tend to be reliable.

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #21,094 of 24,807
Quote:
Thanks.  Am looking through threads for impressions on the sound differences between 404LE and 507.  Seems to be trending toward 404LE, for significantly less than a new pair of 507s, although I don't know what kind of shape the used pair are in, other than the seller's claim that it's in good shape.  But it's Audio Union, and they tend to be reliable.

Havent heard the 507s so can't help you there.

Good shape in Japan means it's in very good shape. Like I said it's a good price. You'll definitely be able to sell them for that price if you dont like them - go buy them now!!!!

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #21,097 of 24,807
Quote:
So I located a STAX SRM-T1 used in Tokyo, selling for 38,000 JPY.  They're holding it for me now, but the store insists there is no voltage converter on the back.  (I've seen photos of this switch online.)  I called STAX, and the person who answered claims that almost 100% of the T1s had those switches, but then he said his memory could be faulty.  He added that running a 100V amp in the US (120V) would be bad idea.  I called back the store asked the guy to check again, but he insists there's no switch to change the voltage, and that the model is definitely a T1 and not T1S.

Any advice?  I won't be able to get to the store today, and even if I could, if there is no switch to convert the voltage, I'd still be at a loss.

According to Spritzer a few posts up, most of the T1 amps have the switch inside, and only a few have it on the back. Thus it's no wonder the guy in the shop can't see it.

Maybe the confusion is because I said, a few posts up, that a T1 with a switch on the back would be good for you. What I meant was, a T1 with a switch in general. My memory failed me. I thought my old T1 had a switch on the back, but as I checked some old photos of it, it appears it didn't.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #21,098 of 24,807
Quote:
Could not resist the certainty of this imperative--they are on their way.  Thank you everyone for making this a STAX day.  I'm excited, and deeply grateful to all.  The most welcoming community among the many here on Head-Fi.

this is good, found something suitable.
make sure you put your hand under your chin before turning up the volume the first time, many owners report damage when jaws drop and chins hit the floor. <wink>

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #21,100 of 24,807
ALSO,

it was a safe plan to forge ahead with the lamdba purchase. For one, you'd have gone nuts with a stat amp and nothing to drive. Furthermore, not sure what's happening recently in Japan but indeed there's nothing available on the used market from the audio resellers! A year ago, I swear there were multiple drivers and phones at the different Audio Union at other Fujiya Avic used stores. Now it looks like you snapped the only used stat amp there was left at the audio union stores, so I'd say you did well! Actually, I had been contemplating the T1 for a while, but you cleared my wish :wink:. Now, let's have a proper meet in the spring team Tokyo!

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #21,101 of 24,807
Quote:
ALSO,

it was a safe plan to forge ahead with the lamdba purchase. For one, you'd have gone nuts with a stat amp and nothing to drive. Furthermore, not sure what's happening recently in Japan but indeed there's nothing available on the used market from the audio resellers! A year ago, I swear there were multiple drivers and phones at the different Audio Union at other Fujiya Avic used stores. Now it looks like you snapped the only used stat amp there was left at the audio union stores, so I'd say you did well! Actually, I had been contemplating the T1 for a while, but you cleared my wish :wink:. Now, let's have a proper meet in the spring team Tokyo!

Thank you Arnaud, and everyone for the support, am feeling really good about this, and of course grateful for all the rapid responses.  The T1 should arrive tomorrow morning, the 404LE a few days later.  I can't wait to get everything up and running.  A Tokyo meet would be great, I'd love to hear how you and others have put your STAX et al to work.  Thanks again!

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #21,102 of 24,807
Quote:

According to Spritzer a few posts up, most of the T1 amps have the switch inside, and only a few have it on the back. Thus it's no wonder the guy in the shop can't see it.

Maybe the confusion is because I said, a few posts up, that a T1 with a switch on the back would be good for you. What I meant was, a T1 with a switch in general. My memory failed me. I thought my old T1 had a switch on the back, but as I checked some old photos of it, it appears it didn't.

I'd be really happy if there were such a switch tucked away inside.  I'll take a look once it arrives, fingers crossed.  Otherwise, will enjoy 100V in Tokyo, and then 110 transformed on the other side of the Pacific.

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #21,104 of 24,807
Hi,

I recently purchased an older T1  "B series" that was labeled as 100 volt "Japan only "  .But it had the switch inside, actuually i'ts located on the underside of the circuit board. Just remove the outer cover and then the lower base plate and you should see the switch.
It's actually a plug in style connector that you can move to the appropriate setting for 117 / 120v operation.

I am using mine with a Koss ESP-950 and it sounds great !   

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #21,105 of 24,807
Hi ALSO,

I see from your sig that you own a FiiO Alpen DAC/amp. Could you evaluate the FiiO against some higher-end DACs?

I'm considering buying one for my netbook and good ole Sony CD-777 for on the road.

BTW, I ordered a pair of leather pads from AudioCubes on February 7 and haven't heard from them yet. I thought they were fairly quick and communicative ...

Sorry for the OT and TIA for your comments,

Best regards, Jörg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back