The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #20,956 of 24,807
Quote:
My 3.6R cross over to the ribbon @ 1.800 Hz IIRC. The  Apogee full-ribbon speakers still have some followers who swear they still sound excellent albeit they are very difficult to drive properly. Would be interesting to have ribbon cans too. Or are there ribbon headphones already on the market?

I seem to remember that Mark Levinson designed his original amp for the big Apogees. But I could be wrong.

Best regards, Jörg.

I had Apogee Stages for a few years in the 90s. A really live sound.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #20,958 of 24,807
The Orpheus listing is no longer available...damn I wanted to entertain myself a bit if it was a scam. 
size]

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #20,959 of 24,807
Quote:
So I sold my Stax Sigma for 565.00 to an individual who has been banned from here on numerous occasions  and he is now selling them at ebay for 1399.00.

Good ol' nkkuma.

I bought some vintage stuff from him a few years ago when he was still on head-fi. The prices he offered me at that time were OK; not great but not ridiculous. Then he got bold and tried to sell me his YH1000 for over $2k, right around the time he was banned. I see he's since tried to come back under multiple sock accounts.

I seriously hope people have enough sense to realize what he's doing and not enable him. Unfortunately I've been seeing more and more newcomers to this hobby who want to go straight for the gold so to speak---experience the mystique of these older headphones---and don't do enough research. When they pay these prices it sets a precedent, and now nkkuma can turn around and point to the sale as justification for charging even more in the future.

That YH1000 I mentioned? He had been trying to sell it for over $2k for several years, and thankfully no one was stupid enough to bite. At least until recently, as now it's listed as sold. Some poor sod's knees must be hurting; he got taken for a big ride.

Frankly people like nkkuma are a blight on this hobby.

Quote:

Why is it that Lambdas (and usually Stax in general) seem to have a forum reputation for "no bass"? I listen primarily to EDM on my SR-303s and they can have massive kick when the song calls for it.

Yeah, I find the "stats have no bass" thing to be greatly exaggerated. Usually it's parroted by folks who have little to no actual experience with them as is so often the case in this hobby.

I'd also add that, in my experience at least, it's an overall sense of weight that's part the issue. Stats can sometimes lack a certain fullness or solidity. I think this is greatly exacerbated by under-amping, something which leaves the headphones flat and lacking in punch. The SR-007 for instance just sounded limp until I gave it enough juice, at which point it woke up and sounded much fuller and robust.

My favorite headphones for most subgenres of electronic music are those which are often labeled as the most inappropriate for such applications: SR-Omega, SR-Sigma, the Qualia 010, and the HD800. Not only are they fully capable transducers, but they have an ability to render ambience and inner-dynamics better than most of the genre's "approved" headphones I find.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #20,960 of 24,807
Quote:
Heard the lambda professional, like its name,really a studio/pro sounding headphone!
uncolored,powerful,realistic bass, neutral mids,

the only thing I don't like is the high frequency brightness

The lambda pro had run-in for 2 days, the piercing highs have gone(still a little)

The mids & bass are FULL of emotion energy,
I feel the Pro has the best vocal & bass, most realistic highs,compare to my other lambdas, closest to the recording

Didn't hear the lambda normal bias yet
maybe i am too excited?

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #20,962 of 24,807
Quote:

He seemed like an ok guy, I sold something to him once.  I get that flipping is a bad thing for collectors but technically the market should be allowed to go wherever it may (willing buyer/seller).  Especially when it's something as irrelevant/non-consequential and harmless as headphones.

Flipping isn't just a bad thing for collectors. In fact, it's what fosters the collectors' market in the first place. The SR-Sigma, while rare, was still affordable enough for "regular" head-fiers to buy and enjoy before greed turned it into something only crazy collectors will ever get to own now. We're seeing the same thing with vintage orthos: they went from something everyone could afford to a collectors item because of eBay.

And he seemed like an okay guy when I bought stuff from him, sure. See the feedback we left for one another several years ago. Thing is, I found out after the fact that he would make up lies about "regrettably selling off the last of his personal collection to pay for tuition" and stuff like that, when he was really getting stuff for cheap and turning around and selling it for like 400x markup.

As for the market, well I kind of agree with you. When someone pays $2.5k for a YH1000, it's their own fault. However it sets a precedent that effects everyone. For instance Wiktor helped drive up the prices on Orpheus sets to ridiculous heights, making his living by buying up sets and parts and gradually driving up the price (which now sits at like $30k on his eBay listings). Reminds me of the diamond trade.

Technically it's "fair," but it's still pretty gross in my opinion.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #20,963 of 24,807
Quote:

Flipping isn't just a bad thing for collectors. In fact, it's what fosters the collectors' market in the first place. The SR-Sigma, while rare, was still affordable enough for "regular" head-fiers to buy and enjoy before greed turned it into something only crazy collectors will ever get to own now. We're seeing the same thing with vintage orthos: they went from something everyone could afford to a collectors item because of eBay.

And he seemed like an okay guy when I bought stuff from him, sure. See the feedback we left for one another several years ago. Thing is, I found out after the fact that he would make up lies about "regrettably selling off the last of his personal collection to pay for tuition" and stuff like that, when he was really getting stuff for cheap and turning around and selling it for like 400x markup.

As for the market, well I kind of agree with you. When someone pays $2.5k for a YH1000, it's their own fault. However it sets a precedent that effects everyone. For instance Wiktor helped drive up the prices on Orpheus sets to ridiculous heights, making his living by buying up sets and parts and gradually driving up the price (which now sits at like $30k on his eBay listings). Reminds me of the diamond trade.

Technically it's "fair," but it's still pretty gross in my opinion.

A question I've been contemplating... Just looking at the FS-section of the forum. If the original owner didn't sell on head-fi, is it okay to sell an item for the same and/or more expensive price.

I primarily am thinking about some very rare Grado's that are being advertised at ridiculous prices. And yeah, at least one of the pairs were purchased from an english gentleman via eBay when he was cutting down on his collection. Ok or not?

I'd like to try several uncommon HP's. But it's getting ridiculous. R10's for 6900 USD. HP1000's at 2300 EUR.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #20,964 of 24,807
If there is anything that I truly hate in this world, it is people who attach themselves like leeches to an institution and then proceed to suck it dry of everything that made it positive in the first place, while adding nothing of any value at the same time. People who make a living exploiting an ecosystem at the expense of everyone else disgust me.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #20,966 of 24,807
Quote:

In regards to the BHSE listing on Audiogon: it looks very suspicious to me. There's quite a bit of copy in that ad that's not on HeadAmp.com and sounds like info that might be either made up or inaccurate (for example: the Alps RK50 is $1K, not $1495). And if I were you, I'd ask why he's using a 230V version in the USA. You could also ask Justin @ HeadAmp who bought serial #20, so you can determine if the seller is the original owner or not.

I also saw these items, was very interested and posted a few questions to audioonetoo, asking for photos of the earpads (there was an image up when the listing was new that seemed to show weathered leather on the pads, but the image was taken down.), history of the amp, and a purchase date for the O2s. Normal questions for a new user, etc. I had my checkbook out. I got back a snippy reply accusing me of hostility, and telling me that future questions would be ignored. Now the listings are down. Too bad; could have been nice gear...

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #20,967 of 24,807
Free market Capitalism is what you are talking about.  The 'market' will balance and weed out the dishonest ones.  Communication like what we are doing will help that. We as potential customers must be wary of high or low prices that dont follow what is expected after we do our work by investigating the market.  

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #20,968 of 24,807
lol...I remember going through the F/S section here back when I first started lurking back in 2004 just before the time some major changes occured here, Stax Lambda's going for $150-250, CD3k's going for $350 most. Fast forward a few years ahead and you see Lambda's being sold for $350 average to $500 sometimes for mint condition units or just with a SRD-7SBMKii adapter, CD3000's up to $450-550, sometimes even more. I guess it's just when a product, especially NOS, unobtaniums/discontinued models get exposed throughout  the audiophool land, more and more demand arise and more people are curious so the prices go up and up. Same thing that is and has happened with NOS tubes. Heck I remember seeing a few K1000's going for around the price of a used LCD2 being sold nowadays, what's the prices on the K1000's now these days? $1200-1500? Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back