The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #20,026 of 24,807

Quote:
My digital source upgrade list just keeps getting smaller and smaller.
It's down to 3 now I think.
Sim 380D
Cantana
Ayon CD-1SC
I've been less than impressed with the PWD 2 the last week I've been borrowing Cavalli's. I'd still get one if I could get a good deal though.

Has the Ayon CD-1SC got a fully differential balanced output stage?

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #20,027 of 24,807
Quote:
I've been less than impressed with the PWD 2 the last week I've been borrowing Cavalli's. I'd still get one if I could get a good deal though.

May I ask what you thought could be better about the PWD2?  Did you get to try it with various amps and headphones, or was it just with the 009s and LL that it seemed lackluster?

One other major reason for selling my LCD-3s which I forgot to mention is comfort.  That's obviously very subjective, and the LCD-3 was definitely less bothersome than the LCD-2 due to softer pads and reduced clamping force.  But they still felt very heavy, and I was always very conscious of their grip on my face.  

I'm hoping that the 009s will allow me to (for the most part) forget that they're there, so I can just kick back and enjoy the music.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #20,028 of 24,807
On comfort...The 009s are much more comfortable than any Audeze can I've worn. They're #2 on my list (just under the TH900).

I heard the PWD2 with an LF, LG (with many pairs of tubes), and LL. HD800, TH900, 009, HE500, and HE6. I actually still have it here (Alex hasn't needed it back yet). 

Let me clarify that it wasn't 'lackluster'. It sounds good (without a doubt), but next to my 851C there isn't a ton of improvement (certainly not enough to warrant double the price MSRP wise). They're both fairly neutral and both have great detail. The PWD2 has a more airy sound, slightly more detail and if I could get one for a small amount more than what I could sell my 851C for used, I'd go for it. 

Strangely enough the 851C is a more versatile unit than the PWD2, and I find the touchscreen somewhat obnoxious.

EDIT: You also need to understand where I'm coming from on this DAC a bit, too. Ever since I started lurking here I've admired the PWD from afar. It's always been a piece of gear I wished to own someday. It's also been hyped up around here quite a bit, including by the local Head-fier who's Ayon CD-1 (10 years old now) I liked so much. He told me that the PWD2 'destroys' his CD-1. It was like expecting to see Jesus walk on water and instead watching him end up neck deep.

Quote:

May I ask what you thought could be better about the PWD2?  Did you get to try it with various amps and headphones, or was it just with the 009s and LL that it seemed lackluster?

One other major reason for selling my LCD-3s which I forgot to mention is comfort.  That's obviously very subjective, and the LCD-3 was definitely less bothersome than the LCD-2 due to softer pads and reduced clamping force.  But they still felt very heavy, and I was always very conscious of their grip on my face.  

I'm hoping that the 009s will allow me to (for the most part) forget that they're there, so I can just kick back and enjoy the music.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #20,030 of 24,807
Curiously their more expensive DAC (Skylla II) is promoted as fully differential balanced. Which leads me to believe the CD-1SC is not.
Since your LL is a differential amp, it would be a shame not to have the real deal. IMO.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #20,031 of 24,807
Quote:
It's mainly because people are making the jump to stats. Quite a few of those sales including mine stated the reason for the jump being stats.
I'm looking forward to the redesigns/added features come spring.

I have my LF and my SRD-727 side by side on my amp stand. I have no intention of selling my LF #23 and the rare quad set of nos tubes I have in that amp.. 
I got my 009-727 combo about the 1st of the year when ED had a fairly nice sale going on. Anyway for me this stax combo is the end of the line.
Although I must say I am a bit curious about the new redesigned LL, And imo Alex is a great guy to deal with.

ss

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #20,032 of 24,807
Quote:
 It was like expecting to see Jesus walk on water and instead watching him end up neck deep.

Well, neck deep in a 30 foot deep lake isn't so bad.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #20,034 of 24,807
Curiously their more expensive DAC (Skylla II) is promoted as fully differential balanced. Which leads me to believe the CD-1SC is not.
Since your LL is a differential amp, it would be a shame not to have the real deal. IMO.

If it sounds good, it sounds good. While I agree to an extent I really liked what I heard from Ayon.

Well, neck deep in a 30 foot deep lake isn't so bad.

True, but it's still less impressive. :wink:

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #20,035 of 24,807
Sorry for barging in here, but I've got a Stax-related question. I've tried looking for the answer, but given the somewhat odd combination I don't think it's here already. If it is, apologies.

After a botched buy I'm sitting here with half-working SR-40s and fully working SRD-4 (the right ear's membrane has some holes in it, presumably due to age). With high hopes of finally being able to try out electrostatics (well, electrets), I'm left yearning for.. Well, something.

Is it possible to use the STAX SR-003 with the SRD-4? The SRD-4 has a five-port jack (of which only four are wired up), and the SR-003 is listed as being compatible with all pro-level adapters, but I'm not sure if that means these two items are not compatible.

On a side note; where (assuming the 003 is not going to be compatible) can I find a replacement pair of SR-40s or, perhaps, SR-80s? eBay and the Head-fi selling corner seems awfully dry when it comes to Stax equipment, at least at this moment.

Many thanks in advance!

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back