The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #19,921 of 24,807
Can't say I didn't see this coming.

Quote:
Well, with no power from 7:30pm to midnight last night (thanks to Hurricane Sandy....though it could have been MUCH worse from the images from NYC and NJ), I was finally able to settle in on the big battle between my current favourite "go to" headphones the LCD-3s and my new SR-009s tonight. I've exclusively used the SR-009s since they arrived last Friday to familiarize myself with their sound on various types of music. Here's a very quick initial summary:

OK, its official! Used to be that the LCD-3s were my "Gladys Knight of headphones" and my HD800s and W3000s were The Pips so to speak.

Now, looks like I've got three Pips (all my dynamic cans) and the SR009s are my new Gladys Knight! This is rather a surprising finding for me as I've never been really swayed enough to pick up a Stax rig (though the SR007 MKIs did have me humming and hawing for a while).

The deep bass that I LOVE on the LCD-3s is there on my SR-009s with unbelievably better control (didn't think that was possible over the LCD-3s 
size]
). Imaging is just under the HD800s, but precision of placement within that sound stage is un-matched. And detail retrieval...no other headphone comes close to them. I heard things on the SR-009s these past few days that none of my other headphones (past or present) has ever revealed. And mostly on recordings that I've known for over 20 - 25 years!

More to come...

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #19,923 of 24,807
Quote:
I had similar issues.  I ended up doing a complete recap and resistor replacement.  what seemed to help the most was the change out of the 27kΩ resistors.  those are the 8 resistors that stick up above the board.  All of my resistors checked out fine, except those.  they were all low.  Others should chime in, but that is what happened to mine.  

It seems like I have the same issue. Unless I'm just having a brainfart and measuring these 27kΩ resistors wrong they're showing only ~13.5kΩ across all of them. If I recall correctly the three largest caps were replaced before I bought it, so I don't think those are to blame.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #19,925 of 24,807
Will the quality of the transformer/voltage converter used affect sound quality? I have a 240v version of the Stax SRM-323S and I need to do some critical listening with it after my O2's arrive to test for any problems. I have a 50 Watt reverse voltage converter from Brookstone (110/120v in 220/240 out) but its quite old. Any input would be welcome.

Edit: the 323S is rated for 50/60 hertz and 30 watts.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #19,926 of 24,807
Quote:
Well, with no power from 7:30pm to midnight last night (thanks to Hurricane Sandy....though it could have been MUCH worse from the images from NYC and NJ), I was finally able to settle in on the big battle between my current favourite "go to" headphones the LCD-3s and my new SR-009s tonight. I've exclusively used the SR-009s since they arrived last Friday to familiarize myself with their sound on various types of music. Here's a very quick initial summary:

OK, its official! Used to be that the LCD-3s were my "Gladys Knight of headphones" and my HD800s and W3000s were The Pips so to speak.

Now, looks like I've got three Pips (all my dynamic cans) and the SR009s are my new Gladys Knight! This is rather a surprising finding for me as I've never been really swayed enough to pick up a Stax rig (though the SR007 MKIs did have me humming and hawing for a while).

The deep bass that I LOVE on the LCD-3s is there on my SR-009s with unbelievably better control (didn't think that was possible over the LCD-3s 
size]
). Imaging is just under the HD800s, but precision of placement within that sound stage is un-matched. And detail retrieval...no other headphone comes close to them. I heard things on the SR-009s these past few days that none of my other headphones (past or present) has ever revealed. And mostly on recordings that I've known for over 20 - 25 years!

More to come...

Thats very good to hear.

From what i have read so far, Liking SR009 for a HD800 lover is given. but coming from LCD3, i wasnt sure.

its seems SR009 (and SR007 ) are the ultimate upgrades ( to some extent ).

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #19,927 of 24,807
Quote:
If you can afford the amp it takes to run them 
wink_face.gif

Well, I use them in a very llittle room 15.5 square meters.  bought some time ago two Stax DA-80 mono-amplifiers which can make them sing. DA-100 or DMA x2 would be better but you're right.

Regards Georg

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #19,928 of 24,807
SRM-717 and SR-007s - Direct Connection to DAC or Via a Tubed Pre Amp?

I find the direct / via pre connection puzzle quite fascinating. After hours of listening tests, I seem to prefer the connection with my Tubed pre amp in the mix.

I have a theory for this. As direct the input impedance on the Stax is 50k ohms, and my Audio Note DAC (tubed) is designed to go into 100 k ohms. So by direct connection to the Stax SRM-717 effectively the DAC is starting to run out of juice and has a subtle but audible frequency shift, i.e. the bass is a bit weaker. By connecting via the Audio Note M3 preamp (tubed) is it sending a fuller signal to the Stax SRM-717 and the DAC is feeding a load it is happy with. 

The sound is:
1. Direct Connection - brighter, more treble emphasis, slightly better imaging and air, slightly more open. However less weight and dynamics, especially as the volume goes up on the SRM-717 (to louder than normal levels). treble and upper mid range sounds a little sterile and metallic.
2. Pre Amp Connection - treble more balanced in scale to the mids and bass. Slight loss of transparency and stage width, but only noticable in A/B comparisons to the Direct Connection. Very organic and none fatiguing sound, can listen for hours, less hi-fi yet very realistic, and still having 90% of the air and 3D treble detail of the Direct connection.

So, both connections have their pluses, and a few minuses. I can easily live long term with the Pre-amp connection, but find I was getting a bit irritated with the direct connection on 65% of recordings.

This method would not work on the SR-0007t as this tubed unit would not be happy left at full volume or the volume bypassed as I am doing on the SRM-717.

I think Stax or any manufacturer has a job on to design a system that will sell in domos (short listening). I prefer the direct connection for 15 minutes and would probably buy based on that sound as it is a bit more 'hi-fi' but after an hour or so, I would be searching out my better recorded CDs and ignoring the rest. I guess everything is a slight compromise. I bought the SR-007s to reduce my Lambda Nova Signatures treble emphasis and slight edge. I love the SR-007s, they are great for trance or classical, anything I throw at em!

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #19,929 of 24,807
Quote:

size]

More to come...

He he he he.... I knew this was coming!
biggrin.gif

Exactly my same experience and opinion. Welcome to the club!
evil_smiley.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #19,930 of 24,807
Quote:

size]

More to come...

Well, crap.

I've never been that tempted to try a Stax rig, but knowing how closely my listening preferences align with Peter's tastes... crap.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #19,932 of 24,807
Quote:

Any Lambda model's pads will fit since Stax hasn't really changed the earcup design over the last 33 years (just the headband/arc), so the decision mostly lies in which pads you prefer the feel of.

I don't have any experience with the real leather pads used on some models, but I did notice that the SR-202's pads felt almost as stiff while the SR-303's were noticeably softer, so there is a difference even between pleather pads.

I am tempted to get a nice set of leather pads, but I just cant validate $100 bucks for earpads.  I'm surprised that all the pads are interchangeable.  you would think they made some changes over the years.  I'll start looking into what I will spend.. ugh..

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #19,933 of 24,807
Honestly now that the seed of doubt is planted you may as well just buy them 009. It'll never get out of your head, and I can say from experience (and people telling me to) that you may as well just do it.

Quote:

Well, crap.

I've never been that tempted to try a Stax rig, but knowing how closely my listening preferences align with Peter's tastes... crap.
evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: Holy crap typos.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #19,934 of 24,807
Quote:
Honestly now that the seed of doubt if planted you may as well just buy them 009. It'll never get out of your hear, and I can say from experience (and people telling me to) that you may as well just do it.

This is exactly the way my subconscious works... as soon as I start thinking about an upgrade, my current system begins to sound worse and worse... until I cave in, spend the $$$ and wonder how I could have possibly lived with that "other" setup for so long.

I'm on the clock.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #19,935 of 24,807
I can be curious about something and resist just fine at this level. I haven't been able to get myself to buy blind at 2k+, but as soon as I heard it. Done. Over. Had to have it.

Similar situation with my source at this point. Heard a better one, now have to have it (well, something better).

Having owned a setup almost exactly like the one you have now (Audeze can, HD800, LF, ~2k DAC) I can tell you you're in for a treat when you finally hear the 009. To me it was a significant step up from an already fantastic system.

Quote:
This is exactly the way my subconscious works... as soon as I start thinking about an upgrade, my current system begins to sound worse and worse... until I cave in, spend the $$$ and wonder how I could have possibly lived with that "other" setup for so long.

I'm on the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back