The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #19,816 of 24,807
Simple question for y'all,

Would it be better to plug the headphone in THEN turn on the amp, or better to turn the amp on first then plug in the headphones? Or would any of this matter at all?

Wondering how y'all veteran Stax users do it at start up.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #19,817 of 24,807
Oct 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #19,818 of 24,807
I keep everything plugged in.
009 in the amp
amp into the power conditioner
power conditioner into a regulator
regulator has on off switch

before i switch off, I lower the amp volume to zero.

been doing this forever.

Quote:

Would it be better to plug the headphone in THEN turn on the amp, or better to turn the amp on first then plug in the headphones? Or would any of this matter at all?

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #19,819 of 24,807

A universal rule in audio. Turn on from the source to the power amp. Turn off in reverse. It is mostly about startup and turnoff thumps, etc. They go forward in the path to the headphone/speakers, so it is logical and makes sense in every way.

A separate issue with electrostatic headphones, try to keep them plugged in to the amp all the time.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #19,820 of 24,807
Quote:
A separate issue with electrostatic headphones, try to keep them plugged in to the amp all the time.

But the amp turned off or on? Why keep them plugged in to the amp all the time? To prevent connector breakage? (Sorry for the Stax-newbie question.)

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #19,821 of 24,807
Quote:
But the amp turned off or on? Why keep them plugged in to the amp all the time? To prevent connector breakage? (Sorry for the Stax-newbie question.)

because you want to accelerate global warming?  
darthsmile.gif

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #19,823 of 24,807

With the amp on or off. Do turn it off when you are not using it. Keeping the phones plugged in is about keeping the diaphrams charged. Not with the bias charge, but with a space charge more or less that they need to fullfill their function. There are no magnets present and a recepticle needs to be created for the electrostatic charge that will allow the moving element to respond to the changing electrical forces present. I may have that wrong and I leave it to the Stax Mafia to clarify all this. Some owners, I believe, do remove the phones from the amp but short the pins with their finger? Never tried it.

I can tell you this, electrostatic phones are different. They function quite differently from dynamic or planar units. When properly implemented they do things no other system can. Very good things. I think it is fair to say that they are not for everyone, but if you like them nothing else will do.

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #19,824 of 24,807
i keep mine plugged to amp all the time unless i go out of town for long period then i unplug it and store the headphone inside a box. i lowered volume to zero when turning on and off. thats all i've been doing all this time

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #19,825 of 24,807
Quote:
i keep mine plugged to amp all the time unless i go out of town for long period then i unplug it and store the headphone inside a box. i lowered volume to zero when turning on and off. thats all i've been doing all this time

Same here.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 26, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #19,826 of 24,807
Interesting.. I was planning to keep the Omega's in the flight case and just take them out and use them whenever I feel like a listen (I typically don't like leaving headphones out and about... dust and all.. both my HD800's and LCD-2 stay in their box when not used)...

It sounds like a headphone stand and a dust cover is in order then... does anyone know a good place to get dust covers?

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #19,827 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
leaving it on makes sense if you have your cans plugged in as it has been said that the diaphrams do need some time to charge but this will attract dust to them over time. Personally i turn mine off when not in use however, a few members have said that the sound improves with time due to the diaphrams being fully charged so it might be an idea to turn them on a little while before listening.

That "time for charging" thing is pure nonsense. The cans start sounding as soon as the unit is switched on and there's some music playing. Electricity travels at almost light speed and the mylar membrane gets "charged" as soon as the bias current gets to it, so when the music signal gets to the stators, the membrane starts moving.
On adapters you not even need the time to warm up components as in energizers. It makes more sense leaving your amp on to shorten its warm up time, than leaving the adapter on.

Quote:
The whole charge issue is pure nonsense and indeed often confused with the amps warming up to reach optimum running temperature.

This is what others have said about "keeping them charged"

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #19,829 of 24,807
Quote:
Do you guys think the 727II is a better choice than the Woo GES to drive the 009?

I highly recommend you try the 007t/ii amp. When I, an admittedly never-happy upgrader for decades, listen to my 009 with the Stax tubed amp, I end up saying why should I change this blissful sound.
There are some used or demo ones around I came upon from elusive disc and here on the headfi trading forum. Tubes rule for me in the end. And the Stax tubed amp is basically no-maintenance and gets only modestly warm
(and fits anywhere). This amp is a bargain and a little marvel the more I use it. I'm on my 2nd one (I had the mark 1 version from 1999-2007 and then upgraded). I think the amp doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #19,830 of 24,807
I'd say plug in then turn on the amp.

I always leave the headphones connected, but sometimes I switch headphones and there have been two or three times when plugging in the headphones while the amp (SRM-717) was on, it went into the protection mode, cutting sound. Most of the times though everything goes well when I plug them in with the amp already on. If I can choose I plug the headphones in first, then turn the amp on.

Quote:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back