The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #19,516 of 24,807
That was clearly some bias issue with those busted phones.  Hard to tell what exactly though. 
Quote:

Wondering if any can enlighten me a bit on this. I obtained a "partial" 007 MK1 in a trade and just wanted to know what might be needed to get it up and running. The obvious things are it is missing the springs and the earpads, the screws for the headband, and the cable. Also, looking through the large holes in the black metal plate on the inner side of the drivers, the mylar appears damaged on at least one of the drivers. Assuming the drivers themselves are fine, would the mylar be something that Yamas or some other outfit could repair (as well as the cable, obviously)? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Hoping to put together a secondary pair of 007 MK1 - but depending on the effort may just unload the drivers/frame/headband assemby in the classifieds.

If the mylar has any holes in it then the drivers are toast.  They will pop and crackle like mad and be utterly unusable.  Yama's will not repair this but gladly sell you a new set for 2k$+ or something sky high as that. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #19,517 of 24,807
Interesting, so the mylar is not a separate layer that can be replaced in the event they get broken - and that mylar is extremely (and I mean extremely) thin.

And I guess I can understand Yama's being more interested in selling a new set. But are they the only game in town when it comes to restoring these to their past glory?

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #19,518 of 24,807
Stax noob here with probably a silly question. I have been following along on and off, and have been wondering about letting a Stax headphone "charge" for a while/overnight(?) before use. Does this apply to all Stax, or only certain models. Also is this extended charging to be done after an extended period of non-use? I'm a bit confused about this matter, and most things Stax in general. I have a Lambda Pro incoming though, excited to hear them with new ear pads and a WEE at some point.

edit: Google was helpful, along with Ken Rockwell:

"The static charge, a.k.a. polarizing voltage, is supposed to take a few minutes to spread around the headphone's diaphragm. If the charge was free to move at will, it would move under the forces that are supposed to move the diaphragm when subjected to voltage fields from the plates. If the charge was free to move (not static), electrostatic headphones and speakers wouldn't work.

Therefore, it takes time for the static charge to spread across the entire diaphragm.

As the charge spreads, it is normal for the audio to increase in level for the first few minutes after you've plugged the adapter into the wall. It's also normal for each channel to come up at slightly different rates, meaning it is expected that for the first few moments the channels often seem unbalanced.

Personally, I leave this thing plugged in and energized all the time, so my headphones are always ready to go. It's hard to measure, but electrostatic systems love to be left alone — that's why they're called static, and not dynamic. Some people say, and I wouldn't disagree with them, that electrostatic systems sound best if they're left plugged in for at least a day."

Just in case anybody else cares.

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #19,520 of 24,807
The 009 just reaches deep into the sounds of each component of the music like no other phone to my ears, and I've had a lot of them (including a few R10s).
Just deal with the brightness via the upstream chain and you'll never let them go. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #19,522 of 24,807
Can anyone comment on an 323s vs 717 for an 007mk1? Besides a few positive comments on the 323s, there are relatively few informative reviews of this amp that I've been able to find. One of these will have to serve temporarily until funds allow for a big boy amp. 

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #19,523 of 24,807
I have been using the SRM-323S with my 007 mk1s for some time now. They are ~okay. I noticed a peak at 10k which is pretty bad with some songs (source is ODAC, may account for this), but generally everything feels all right - bass is there, enough slam, not that much rumble, mids are ok, highs are present. It is not what I would call something that would blow you away though, there is a sense of 'unremarkable-ness' about the combo. Perhaps there is not enough bite at the 7k point due to the headphones. I haven't heard anything above the 323S with the 007 mk1 so I don't know how different a 717 / KGSSHV will sound.

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #19,524 of 24,807
Quote:
Can anyone comment on an 323s vs 717 for an 007mk1? Besides a few positive comments on the 323s, there are relatively few informative reviews of this amp that I've been able to find. One of these will have to serve temporarily until funds allow for a big boy amp. 

I wanted to try that combo when I was at the dealer but the salesman said don't bother it won't sound good the 323S doesn't have enough power for the 007. At least that is what he said so I never tried it.

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #19,525 of 24,807
Quote:
I wanted to try that combo when I was at the dealer but the salesman said don't bother it won't sound good the 323S doesn't have enough power for the 007. At least that is what he said so I never tried it.

I talked to the German distributor and another German dealer with many experience in Stax gear. Both said that the 323 in any version is good enough for driving SR-Omega and 007 MK I+II.
When I have a look at the specs of the driver units the 323II and S have the scond highest outputvoltage. Only the 727 has 50 Volt more outputvoltage. All tubeamps have less outputvoltage.
So I belive this is just to sell bigger amps. If you want to look for yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stax_products

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #19,528 of 24,807
This is the information I was given by the mafia when I asked...

Solid state,the 323s.
Tube,GES

Unless you find a 007t and do the 6s4 conversion like Brigir
Did.

Or a 727 and then modify it

That's it unfortunately

Question was in relation to options not including the $5K trio.

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #19,529 of 24,807
Quote:
Interesting, so the mylar is not a separate layer that can be replaced in the event they get broken - and that mylar is extremely (and I mean extremely) thin.

And I guess I can understand Yama's being more interested in selling a new set. But are they the only game in town when it comes to restoring these to their past glory?

The drivers are completely modular but they need to be assembled in a clean room if you want them to be noise free.  Given that the D/S spacing on that driver is 0.5mm then the particles that cause problems are tiny to say the least. 

Yama's isn't even a service center to be honest.  With the headphones they just replace parts but on the amps they replace with what ever they find at the bottom of the parts drawer.  Horrible stuff... 

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #19,530 of 24,807
Quote:

The drivers are completely modular but they need to be assembled in a clean room if you want them to be noise free.  Given that the D/S spacing on that driver is 0.5mm then the particles that cause problems are tiny to say the least. 

Yama's isn't even a service center to be honest.  With the headphones they just replace parts but on the amps they replace with what ever they find at the bottom of the parts drawer.  Horrible stuff... 

Not very encouraging if you had to send them a Stax amp under warranty.

I take there are no other North American options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back