The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #19,501 of 24,807
Man, that is very frustrating. 

It didn't get wet or damp did it by any chance?

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #19,503 of 24,807
Quote:
Man, that is very frustrating. 

It didn't get wet or damp did it by any chance?

No, I can't see any way that it got wet or damp other than some perspiration from my ears under the seal . I am in an air-conditioned room and it was sitting on my desk since it was first set up. I did listen to it for a bit perhaps 30 minutes when it was first turned on. I did notice at that time that the left ear speaker seemed down 3-4db, but I just turned the balance on the amp to compensate. At that time on first start the volume knob only needed to be at about 10-11 o'clock to listen. Hours later while it was playing music just sitting on my desk it stopped playing and all I could hear was static in both channels. I turned it off and came back to it later and I had to put the volume at 2-3o'clock to hear reasonable volume and the left channel was down perhaps 10db and it was distorting. Very frustrating. 

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #19,504 of 24,807
Congrats chodi, you've successfully achieved the burn it all in!

Maybe the experts from the mafia can help you with the diagnosis.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #19,506 of 24,807
I have a pair of Sr-x pro's. I think I am have problems with the left driver. Something seems to be going on inside at times. I have heard what sounds the the "fart" sound but not from putting them on. It can be a sound  like a decompression. It sounded like I lost some sound from the left driver and when I unplugged the headphones and relieved the static I could hear a decompressing fart type sound from the driver. \it does sound normal a lot though. I have not had them on long at the time. Is that driver damaged or maybe I need to let them charge for a good while? Thanks

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #19,507 of 24,807
Quote:

Man, I really need to listen to those speakers.  Thanks for the info.  

If you're an ESL guy I'm pretty confident you'll absolutely love the SR-009s.  They're the best headphone ever after the HE90 IMO.  The detail retrieval is unparalleled.  They're extremely fast and the imaging is very precise (like the SR007).  They have a large soundstage for headphones, but don't expect them to sound like speakers in that regard.  The one area I'd bet they outperform your speakers in is bass reproduction.  The speakers naturally use a woofer with crossover (transmission line design IIRC) which won't have the speed of an ESL diaphragm like that in the SR009.  Since the headphone drivers have such close proximity to the ear and the cavity between the ear and driver are sealed well by the leather earpads, you can get the resolution and cleanliness of ESL bass down past the audible spectrum.  

Have you considered buying a used set?  The SR009 is still quite new and I'd imagine most owners would take care of their sets, so pairs on the used market should be in near mint condition.  You would only lose (roughly) the cost of shipping if you decided to sell them.

Thanks, I really appreciate that advice.  It looks as though I'll swallow my pride and Stax antiquated marketing and just get a pair of SR-009.  Bass, yes.  Specifically against the 10c, it's extension and control at the lower extreme that is the biggest sonic difference.  Roger Sanders has done an admirable job in making the transmission line blend to the 10c panel although if have one criticism, the physical construction of the TL is on the light side.  That said, you are on your own with crossovers, EQ and DSP because the 10c doesn't even ship with a crossover.  Personally, I wouldn't consider the 10c without (a) the Magtec amp driving the panel and (b) XO/EQ/DSP in the shape of a DEQX or TACT or Trinnov to get the crossover and room EQ exactly right, the optional DCX2496 isn't quite good enough IMHO.  I won't clutter this thread but if you do go down this route, I will happily relate everything I learned in 2 years of 10c ownership.  That Sanders will ship you his stuff anywhere in the world on 30 days approval AND stand the shipping both ways if you don't like them, was what finally sold him to me.  Compare & contrast buying SR-009......  No more whingeing, I promise.

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #19,508 of 24,807
Quote:
I've got the 507 and they are now (1 year after) way more comfortable, that won't be a problem. But they won't get as comfortable as the 009 though :)
As for the amp, there shouldn't be many differences between my 600 and your 006: from people I know having owned both the 600 should be less euphonic, but I never listened to the 006 in my setup. One potential advantage (not for me) of the 006 over the 600 is the tube rolling, you'll be able to tailor the sound according to your preferences.
In any case, I'm sure you'll like your setup and you'll enjoy your music for a long time!
I thought about upgrading the 507s a few times, I've listened to the 009s in my setup and they are amazing but I know I'll end up upgrading the rest of the rig...spending too much time on swapping things rather than listening to music :)

Quote:
I've got the 507 and they are now (1 year after) way more comfortable, that won't be a problem. But they won't get as comfortable as the 009 though :)
As for the amp, there shouldn't be many differences between my 600 and your 006: from people I know having owned both the 600 should be less euphonic, but I never listened to the 006 in my setup. One potential advantage (not for me) of the 006 over the 600 is the tube rolling, you'll be able to tailor the sound according to your preferences.
In any case, I'm sure you'll like your setup and you'll enjoy your music for a long time!
I thought about upgrading the 507s a few times, I've listened to the 009s in my setup and they are amazing but I know I'll end up upgrading the rest of the rig...spending too much time on swapping things rather than listening to music :)

So the 600 is your preference for the 507's? I just worry about the reliance on the one type of tube for this amp. Is it future proof is what I mean. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #19,509 of 24,807
@Chodi:
thats very anoying.
When I bought my 303 i had to send it back two times because of faulty drivers.
It took about half a year till I got a functioning 303. German service is famous for
being very fast!

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #19,510 of 24,807
Returned from my second trip in three days to Bangkok just now. The dealer listened to my headphones for one minute and said defective. I knew that also. He replaced them with a new set and an apology. I have them on now and they are working perfectly. The first set never really worked properly out of the box. He replaced them with a smile and said this is unusual. I can't complain it was good service. Now begins the burn in. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #19,512 of 24,807
Quote:
Funny, I would say the burn in on this set is complete.

Too bad the 009 wasn't there for you.  Also nice to hear some love for the 323S.  Drives my interest for a 507/323S rig again :D

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #19,513 of 24,807
Quote:

Too bad the 009 wasn't there for you.  Also nice to hear some love for the 323S.  Drives my interest for a 507/323S rig again :D

The 009 was there but I did not listen to it because there was no way I was going to begin my Stax journey at the end. If I heard it I ran the risk of buying it and then plead temporary insanity to the wife. If they actually had the 323S I probably would have bought it with the 507 (it really sounded better that the 007). I am going to live with the set I bought for some weeks before I even think about the next step up the ladder (perhaps it will be days instead of weeks I have been a hopeless audiophile for too long). I would really like to find out what amp works well with the 007 cause what I heard with the 07t was not to my taste. I am done upgrading dynamic headphones and I've settled with my T1's for that. Now we will see how much I am willing to part with to get further down the road with Stax.

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #19,515 of 24,807

Wondering if any can enlighten me a bit on this. I obtained a "partial" 007 MK1 in a trade and just wanted to know what might be needed to get it up and running. The obvious things are it is missing the springs and the earpads, the screws for the headband, and the cable. Also, looking through the large holes in the black metal plate on the inner side of the drivers, the mylar appears damaged on at least one of the drivers. Assuming the drivers themselves are fine, would the mylar be something that Yamas or some other outfit could repair (as well as the cable, obviously)? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Hoping to put together a secondary pair of 007 MK1 - but depending on the effort may just unload the drivers/frame/headband assemby in the classifieds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back