The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #19,141 of 24,807
Let me put it this way: if electrostatic drivers were as simple to properly make as they look, then I could easily fix my separated SR-303 right driver by gluing it back together and getting NO imbalance.

Admitted, I made some mistakes (especially the type of glue to use), but those tolerances must be REALLY tight given how much I have to adjust the balance for a reasonably balanced sound.

As for the 30-hour dust cover massage, I guess it's kind of like Kobe beef, except you're not going to eat it.

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #19,142 of 24,807
Well, it's 4426 if you want to do wire transfer, which made me a little nervous. I felt safer using my AmEx through Paypal, two extra layers of protection and a 2 year warranty. That's worth an extra $100 to me.

I went with bank-transfer and ems which is what they recommended over dhl. Worked like a charm.

If you trust the company wiring the money is superior imo. I saved roughly 5% since I didn't get ripped off by paypal first by the 3,5% and then by the horrendous currency exchange rate.

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #19,143 of 24,807
For me, DHL is 3 days and EMS is 10. Also, I don't like doing bank wire, unless I know the person. 3.5% (I got a good rate) is a bargain for peace of mind and extended warranty through AmEx.

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #19,144 of 24,807
Quote:
and as I stated, the discount DOES apply even to the stuff that says it doesn't, i.e. 'not eligible for further discount'.............they don't change the disclaimer in the Stax product ad BUT the discount announcement clearly states that it does apply and not to worry about the disclaimer.............it saved me over $500

If it does apply, then I can see plenty of people being fine with the $150-300 premium over Pricejapan, depending on whatever the exchange rate is, for the warranty protection.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #19,145 of 24,807
Yes, it does apply. I know a person that bought the SR-009 and SRM727II in early January with the 10% discount and paid $6,700 for both.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 11, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #19,146 of 24,807
This is mostly aimed at people with technical knowledge about the repair of electrostats.

1. What usually causes "buzzing" in an electrostatic speaker?
2. How hard is it to fix this buzzing?
3. Is it impossible to truly repair an electrostatic speaker to its original state if parts for it are long gone?
Is it difficult to adjust the volatge input (from 100V to 240V) on older ESLs?
How prone are ESLs to damage during shipping?

Aug 11, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #19,148 of 24,807
Quote:
This is mostly aimed at people with technical knowledge about the repair of electrostats.

1. What usually causes "buzzing" in an electrostatic speaker?  <= Diaphragm is damaged / been arced
2. How hard is it to fix this buzzing? <= Pretty hard.  Have to replace diaphragm and dust covers, usually. Requires skill and certain materials.  But there are people out there who have mastered this skill. The materials are available.
3. Is it impossible to truly repair an electrostatic speaker to its original state if parts for it are long gone? <= Depends on which parts. Some parts have generic equivalents of modern manufacture; some parts can be refurbished or custom fabricated; some parts are nearly impossible to fix, replace or fabricate. However, NOTHING is truly impossible if sufficient money is available.
4. Is it difficult to adjust the volatge input (from 100V to 240V) on older ESLs? <= Easy.  Buy a transformer to step your 240 volts down to 100 volts. 
5. How prone are ESLs to damage during shipping? <= Depends.  Some are pretty robust.  Others are delicate.  If packed properly, no damage should occur.

There are people / firms out there who fix electrostatic speakers. Google is your friend and can help you find them.

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #19,152 of 24,807
Quote:

I have a very strong recollection of reading about someone in Perth who specializes in repairing old Quad panels (I'm taking a punt here that's what you have).
Pretty sure I read this on SNA so I'd check/ask there.

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #19,154 of 24,807
Quote:

1. What usually causes "buzzing" in an electrostatic speaker?
2. How hard is it to fix this buzzing?
3. Is it impossible to truly repair an electrostatic speaker to its original state if parts for it are long gone?
Is it difficult to adjust the volatge input (from 100V to 240V) on older ESLs?
How prone are ESLs to damage during shipping?

If by ESL you mean 57 and 63 (and not using it as a generic term to encompass all electrostatic speakers), then those two speakers can be fully rebuilt from the ground up by companies in the US and UK.

There is someone that posted info on the other forum about DIY repairing his ESL63 panels.

The two companies in the US will sell you custom crates for shipping and if shipped by truck on a palette with a private shipping company, you're pretty much guaranteed that no damage will come to them. When they are strapped down to a palette there is no one throwing/handling the package.

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #19,155 of 24,807
Quote:

If it does apply, then I can see plenty of people being fine with the $150-300 premium over Pricejapan, depending on whatever the exchange rate is, for the warranty protection.

i saved the elusive disc email, from which this image is copied.  i'm on their mailing list so i get notified of sales, otherwise i guess you just have to go to their web page often.
sales are usually around US holidays, so labor day weekend is a potential next sale date (just guessing).

fathersdaysale6-18-12.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back